It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Federal Judge Apologizes for Comparing Bush to Hitler, Mussolini

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 09:54 PM
link   
A federal judge apologized Thursday for saying that President Bush's rise to power was like that of Mussolini and Hitler. Judge Guido Calabresi, 71, of the 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Manhattan drew strong reaction from lawyers at Saturday's convention of the American Constitution Society in Washington when he made his shocking remarks. Today he offered his "profound regret"...

Full Report link: ABCNEWS.com

"My remarks were extemporaneous and, in hindsight, reasonably could be and indeed have been understood to do something which I did not intend, that is, take a partisan position," Calabresi wrote in a letter of apology to Chief Judge John Walker.

Calabresi, a former dean of Yale Law School, was quoted saying the U.S. Supreme Court "put somebody in power" when a ruling it made in December 2000 settled the dispute over whether Bush had defeated Al Gore.

"In a way that occurred before but is rare in the United States ... somebody came to power as a result of the illegitimate acts of a legitimate institution that had the right to put somebody in power," Calabresi said. "The reason I emphasize that is because that is exactly what happened when Mussolini was put in by the king of Italy.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Perhaps an apology was indeed in order but I would like to defend this man's right to his opinions. After all this is America and we do have free speech. even when that speech is offensive to others.

And really is this man's views any more offensive than some of the political spin coming from the mouths of those who we will elect to the highest office in the land?

To rise to power under questionable circumstances has happened throughout history. The point this man may have been trying to make may have been lost by his choice of examples.. but does that invalidate is opinion?

[edit on 24-6-2004 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 10:22 PM
link   
LMFAO!

This is the funniest thing I have read in a long time. I really think Bush is toast. This guy is not just a federal appeals court judge, but also former Dean of Yale Law School. Before a convention of lawyers, Judge Calabresi compared the illegitimate rise to power of George Bush to the illegitimate rise to power of Adolf Hitler. Too bad he didn't compare 9/11 to the Reichstag Fire. Or compare the curtailment of civil liberties after each terrorist incident. Or compare the invasion of Poland on grounds of national security to the invasion of Iraq on grounds of national security.

Bush = Hitler? Hell, yeah! Remember what Michael Moore said in his Oscar acceptance speech. When the Dixie Chicks and the Pope are against you, your time is up. I say, when the former Dean of Yale Law School compares you to Hitler, you are history.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Damn right,

new topics

join