It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Political Ideology Books

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   
There are numerous books on various forms of politics. Myself have numerous titles. Ranging from Anarchism, Capitalism, Communism, and so on. I have a large extended library. Let's review the books we have, chat about the ones we want to purchases, just talk politics. I know politics bring out anger in a lot of people; but let's respect one another here.

Ya Basta! Ten Years of the Zapatista Uprising

I have just purchased this book a couple days ago. Now don't paint me as a Leftist who just purchased this book because it has Leftist and Rebel themes. Even if I was a Conservative I would still purchases this book and here is why. No group on the Left and or Right have I read about stands for the principal they live by; non of them I seen respect the people they protest and fight for and no where have I seen continue the good fight. Even thought you might see a red star and the words EZLN on a T-shirt on a hipster. Let me tell you this group actually stands for something.

Here's a reviewer on Amazon discussing why you should read books about this group.
Our Word is Our Weapon

This is no doubt the most interesting book I've come across about the Zapatista movement. There are 3 parts to the book. The first part is about the story of how the Zapatistas came to be, about Marcos' declarations of war, and his reasons behind the uprising. The second goes deeper into the conflict and it's relevance to the world. The third is a collection of Marcos' stories and poetry. The book initially caught my eye, with Marcos' infamous masked stare, but it's his words that open up my heart and mind. It's outstanding, I'd recommend it to anyone that's interested in this struggle and it's politics.

Tell me what you guys think of these books, this group and disuses your favorite political titles.

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

Tocqueville, Mill, Thoreau, Locke...

They got nothing on DeLaney...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2621ecf0d594.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by facelift

When in doubt; be a dummy. Or how about this one. Don't the answers? political theorist using big words that make your eyes cross? Look no further! Dummies are here to make it easier for us less advantage ninnyhammer type of folks to understand all this buncome.
Locations of the two words I used

posted on Oct, 26 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   
This is a list of books and authors, some of which I have read in their entirety, others partially, and others I have only looked into but intend to read soon. Please feel free to comment or ask questions.

I'm not going to bother listing the classics like Plato, Aristotle, Machiavelli, Marx, Lenin, etc., their significance is implied.

Asterisked entries are very highly recommended. Double question mark denotes that I am curious about these books and would appreciate anyone's input.

Political and Economic Theory
**Gandhi An Autobiography: The Story of My Experiments with Truth (Alternatively, The Essential Gandhi)
The Kingdom of God is Within You by Leo Tolstoy
The End of Poverty by Jeffrey D. Sachs
The Capitalist Manifesto by Louis O. Kelso and Mortimer J. Adler
The Neo-Communist Manifesto by Filip Spagnoli
**The Unabomber Manifesto by Ted Kaczynski
Global Capitalism and the Demise of the Left: Renewing Radicalism Through Inclusive Democracy (collection of high level political science essays) edited by Steve Best
??The Ugly American by Eugene Burdick and William J. Lederer
??The End of The Free Market by Ian Bremmer
??The Society of the Spectacle by Guy Debord
**Small is Beautiful by E. F. Schumacher
Freakonomics by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner
Super Freakonomics by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner
**The Web of Debt: The Shocking Truth About Our Money System by Ellen Hodgson Brown
Confessions of Economic Hitman by John Perkins
**The Secret History of American Empire by John Perkins
??When Presidents Lie: A History of Official Deception and Its Consequences by Eric Alterman
The Impact of Science on Society by Bertrand Russel
Political Ideals by Bertrand Russell
**You Can't be Neutral on a Moving Train by Howard Zinn
**A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn
??Noam Chomsky (I personally haven't read much of his work yet, you might start with Powers and Prospects, Necessary Illusions, or Hegemony or Survival)
??Ivan Illich (Too many to list, you might start with Deschooling Society)
??The End of Education: Redefining the Value of School by Neil Postman

Dystopian Novels
**Farenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
**1984 by George Orwell
**Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand (to be honest you're probably better off reading the wikipedia page on Objectivism)

Non-political material that has nonetheless influenced my political ideology.
John Nash's Equilibriums in Game Theory. Despite the subject of his famous thesis being "Non-Cooperative Games", his work showed the rational, measurable benefits of compromise and cooperation. Since his ground-breaking work Game Theory has been applied in biology, anthropology, economics, sociology, psychology, politics, chemistry, physics, etc.
The Evolution of Reciprocal Altruism by Robert L. Trivers. Paper on the biological usefulness of cooperation.
The Problem of Increasing Human Energy by Nikola Tesla
Ecoscience: Population, Resources, Environment. An enormous collection of raw environmental/demographic science done in 1977 with logical conclusions drawn about the direction civilization is headed.

As a side note I feel that the environment, resources, and population are extremely important political issues and although no books are coming to mind let me turn your attention toward some excellent documentaries.

Collapse
Life According to Monsanto
The Disappearing Male
Addicted to Plastic
Flow - For the Love of Water

I believe all can be found at www.documentaryheaven.com

Finally, some very influential (on me) non-political novels.
Short Stories of Isaac Asimov
Siddartha by Herman Hesse

Wow this post is enormous.

new topics

top topics

join