It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you can’t kill a message kill the way it’s conveyed: My thoughts on the music industry!

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   
We don't choose our music any more. What is exposed on mainstream media is controlled and selected by the dark PTB. It isn't music any more, it's propaganda, psyops, chosen for a specific purpose, to create a desired outcome to further their agenda.

We have no choice, we get what we are given. The performers are promoted by the ruling mafia's music and media businesses.

Interesting article, which also kind of challenges the OP perspective as well:

How Pop & Rock Music is Used to Manipulate Us
www.illuminati-news.com...

Time to boycott it!
edit on 5-10-2010 by wcitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by wcitizen

What?

You can look around facebook, last FM and a million other sites and listen to literally millions of unsigned bands from across the entire globe without even leaving your house. Theres more ways of hearing underground music now then ever before.

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
i find myself shying away from all mainstream.
I have really been getting into just music and no lyrics.
the vibrations and moods the SOUND ALONE can birth is amazing.
If you can appreciate what is being heard rather than being said it sets the stage for something special.

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

I'm talking about mainstream....sure, there is underground, but many, many people don't go there and look. Mainstream gets to the masses.

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Hello everyone. A new member here. (that is a nifty little orientation video they have here.)

Ihave been a lurker for a while now and when I saw this topic I felt I should put in my Buffalo nickel. I agree with what a lot of you are saying. Most of the new stuff that I here these days seems to be missing a lot of what bands like ZZ Top, Hank jr., and Lynrd Skynyrd (was raised on my father's southern rock albums) had.

That being said I would like to point out a modern band that I think is quite good: Clutch.

they aren't very mainstream (or at least I never hear them on any radio station around my area) so II'm not sure if they really are relevant to OP's topic but they seem to have quite a unique sound and style that I lately haven't been able to get enough of.

This one kinda reminds me of ATS a little
Title: 50,000 Unstoppable Watts
www.youtube.com...

Again they aren't really widely known so their relatedness to the topic at hand is questionable.

that being said I leave you with these songs take any meaning you desire form them:

title: 10001110101
www.youtube.com...

title: Army of bono
www.youtube.com...

(oh and here thay are at bonaroo this year)
www.youtube.com...

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   
On the surface you'd be absolutely right - the whole industry is more or less run by people who are only interested in pushing a product as opposed to the love of music but...

But underneath the corporate crap, there are hundreds of thousands of great artists, of varying styles and genres and inspirations.

Don't be put off...

www.youtube.com...

^ Voice of the seven woods - great guitarists

www.youtube.com...

^ Explosions in the sky - ambient, melancholic post-rock

www.youtube.com...

^ Caspian - again another good rock/ambient talent

www.youtube.com...

^ HRSTA - experimental rock

www.youtube.com...

^ Shpongle - very relaxing psychedelic style (real world and electronic)

www.youtube.com...

^ Younger brother - Relaxing psychedelic experimental

www.youtube.com...

^ Rodrigo Y Gabriela - fantastic guitar duo

--

Enjoy

edit on 5-10-2010 by mr-lizard because: added another link.

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by kiv-93

I really don't have a problem with people being scantly-clad while performing. Music stimulates emotion, lyrics have meanings and live performance provides an image. It's meant to be provocative in one way or another. Besides, you sweat quite a bit when you're up there and all that lighting makes it even worse. You wouldn't want them passing out from heat stroke and have to cancel the show. What I have a problem with is no-talent hacks belching into a recorder and some sound engineer with autotune software making it into a robotron-Stephen-Hawking sounding mess so they can lipsynch to it later. Then they squeeze underground bands out of the recording studio, because record companies think that people only want to listen to artists that can donate the most money to the RIAA and that somehow makes them better musically, because only multi-billion-dollar corporations have skillsets required to determine what people like and dislike.
edit on 5-10-2010 by Lovemaster9000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by catwhoknows

Ummm, they were from California by the way. Still great none the less.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Muckster

Tupac once said "listen to the lyrics of the music and don't just bob your head" something like that.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by ieatgummybearsasameal

whats your bands name?

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by vectorfields

You're extremly mixed up. Muse, ACDC, RATM, these bands I've seen live, and they're kings. I've seen Metallica and in no way are they pop metal. They are metal gods. All these bands are people I hold as musicians and not mediocre crap.
I think you're very mixed up on your music tastes, and you need to realise them as musicians and what they've done. And as for Muse being mediocre, this is a massive lie. They are the most innotive band of the last decade. They've done things no other band has ever tried and as for Live, once you see them at wembley, you realise what you just said was a complete and utter joke.

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Double Post, my bad

edit on 19 8uFriday10 20 by vanhippi because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

I chose to reply to you because you put shpongle down. I saw just the DJ perform a show last week and my mind was BLOWN. I think the people who are on the thought that "music nowadays sucks" just doesn't look hard enough. Yes, it used to be very easy and accessible back in the day to hear great music but with the advent of the internet, everything has changed.

I am young and was brought up with a lot of Zeppelin, Beatles, Hendrix, ect ect and for the longest time I just didn't think there was any good new music being put out. Turns out I couldn't have been more wrong, the music scene has been popping off pretty hard over the last few years. You won't hear much of it on any radio station, but it is just as easy to go on youtube, lastfm, soundcloud, ect ect. I'm not talking clones of music too, this is brand new stuff. Go to any "mainstream" music festival (which generally plays NO mainstream music) and you will expierence music on a new level.

Heres some to check out
Lotus
The Disco Biscuits
Fort Knox Five
The New Mastersounds
Pretty Lights
Bassnectar

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 05:29 AM
link   
I think that people should not be so caught up in worrying what genre they perceive something to be in, genre is just a way for us to pigeonhole music. Music can be so complex that by creating all of these supposed genre's: alternative, indie, rock, hard rock, metal, grunge, emo, post-punk, hardcore, dub, dub-step, rap, hip hop etc etc etc we are in a way distracting ourselves from what we're listening to, most of the time, real people with electric instruments, most of the time, i acknowledge that dub is very different to emo, i just think that the emphasis should be on the band, rather than the genre.

Im aware that this is missing the point somewhat, but i just think its important to appreciate music for what it is and the way it makes you feel rather than judging it negatively based on a preconceived notion of the genre its supposed to be in. Although genres like himalayan mountain music can be handy when referring to music.

As for modern music, many bands are making great music around the place, relevant and important music, its only that the general public have an incredibly limited access and exposure to them, because as we all know they are distracted by the atrociously manufactured 'megastars' of the day. It's probably pretty tough for most people with a limited interest in music, they're just totally bombarded with this rubbish whenever they listen to music via the usual channels and i guess most people form an attachment to the new, heavily layered and manipulative tunes coming out of the radio on nearly every large commercial station. This is speaking generally, but you know what i mean.

I think the music industry is just aware of the fact that most people are pretty passive when it comes to music, and can easily be won over by a superstar pop icon singing incredibly catchy numbers in skimpy outfits if they blast it at them enough. I think its just easier to sit back and have your music handed to you than to do a little research and find out what you truly like.

Sorry to harp on people, just have loads of thoughts of these matters. thanks for listening
edit on 9-10-2010 by sir_slide because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   
i agree that mainstream music has went down the toilet lately. i was only around for the 90s so i can't comment on it before that point. music has been transformed from an art form to a mass produced commodity. anything you hear on the radio or on tv is not art it is a product designed to make as much profit as possible. what they do is create these fads which makes everyone run out and buy a certain artist's music and then they purposefully stop giving that artist attention and start giving it to someone else. then the not too bright and unsuspecting public rush out in a frenzy to buy the new artist's crappy cd. repeat as needed. i don't know how people aren't onto this scam yet, they must be dumber than we thought guys.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
FFDP linkreply to post by deltaalphanovember

A good example of a semi-politically involved band is Five Finger Death Punch and there new album "American Capitalist" and the song "the Pride" .
It's not out yet but heres a link to some amazon.com samples.
www.amazon.com...=dm_sp_alb

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Muckster

The music industry has been crappy since the early 90s in the mainstream but maybe if you're still around, you'll give metal a try?

Some dismiss it as noise but it's the most real genre ever. Thoughts, feelings, experiences, lots of meanings.

Slipknot were the metal equivalent of Nirvana as far as talking about the anger and aggression you have that you can't get out and being mocked. Korn since 1992 have had songs about Jon Davis and his bullying and emotions as an adult which speak to millions worldwide.

System Of A Down have been as political as Rage Against The Machine and even had an FBI file about them because of their anti-war stance when the initial Iraq Invasion happened as well as other politically motivated songs in the late 90s.

Megadeth have had songs against war without Dave Mustaine saying one way or another whether he supports war or not (check out "Holy Wars" about the conflicts in Ireland, "Peace Sells", "Endgame", "Symphony Of Destruction" and countless others by them)

Metallica's classic and revered "Master Of Puppets" album had various song meanings:

* "Master Of Puppets" about the control coc aine addiction has on someone

* "The Thing That Should Not Be" based on HP Lovecraft (to go along with their other songs on the Lovecraft Mythos such as "Call Of Ktulu" and "All Nightmare Long" about the Hounds of Tindalos)

* "Disposable Heroes" about young men going off to war and being bred to kill (chorus goes - "Soldier boy, made of clay now an empty shell. Twenty one, only son, but he served us well. Bred to kill, not to care, do just as we say. Finished here, greeting death, he's yours to take away")

* "Leper Messiah" about the evils of tv evangelists promising gullible people they'll go to Heaven by donating money

And that's just a few songs off one album, they've released 9 original albums, one covers double album and a live album featuring the San Francisco Orchestra.

That's why to me, although I do like New Wave, pop from the 80s (since I was born and grew up in the decade) as well as late 70s British punk and late 70s/early 80s British ska, to me metal is the one true genre of music. It sounds great and has a message if you actually listen.

In fact, when my old media studies class in high school talked about music and the meaning of lyrics, as the resident metalhead the teacher asked me to talk about the Napalm Death song "Multinational Corporations".

Slayer are always great with stuff too. War, religion, death, murder, they speak out on all those subjects. May seem weird to some that a Catholic is singing the anti-religion lyrics of one of the guitarists but it's still the truth anyway regardless of beliefs.
edit on 28/9/2011 by curious7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by wcitizen
We don't choose our music any more. What is exposed on mainstream media is controlled and selected by the dark PTB. It isn't music any more, it's propaganda, psyops, chosen for a specific purpose, to create a desired outcome to further their agenda.

We have no choice, we get what we are given. The performers are promoted by the ruling mafia's music and media businesses.

Interesting article, which also kind of challenges the OP perspective as well:

How Pop & Rock Music is Used to Manipulate Us
www.illuminati-news.com...

Time to boycott it!
edit on 5-10-2010 by wcitizen because: (no reason given)

LMAO

I'm still glad you're banned because once again, another clueless post by you.

The "rulers" as you call them try to tell my nation that Rihanna, Cheryl Cole, the horrible grime scene in general and other R&B inspired crap is the best thing ever as far as music but I stubbornly refuse to buy into it and instead put on a Static-X CD because I choose to listen to stuff that I believe to be better and requires actual talent.

Maybe you hate music because you bought Lady Gaga's album and after listening, realised that you were duped out of $15 so instead of being sensible, selling it off and getting something you know you'll enjoy, instead you rally round conspiracy websites claiming a fictional "elite" are brainwashing people while ignoring that the mainstream isn't the be all and end all no matter whether it's music or anything else.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join