It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who wants TSHTF ?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by PS3Geek

Where I grew up in northern Idaho..... it was very simple. We hunted and fished and gardened for food. People had jobs, but nearly everyone provided most of their own food. We didn't get indoor plumbing until I was about 12. I remember my father yelling at me to "stop! flushing! that! [expletive] toilet!.

People can live like that, however I think it's sometimes a mistake to think that we can ease into such a lifestyle.

Here's an experiment: Ask your friends and family if they can make fire without matches or a lighter. Then, ask them to show you. If your family/friends are like mine, there will be a disparity between what they believe they can do and the reality of their performance.

Since we moved to the Caribbean, we've been simplifying our lives, more in line with how I grew up. Are we prepared? Yes and no. There is always something lacking, and these days the things lacking are often mental, rather than a physical item.

M'Bride and I used to shut down the power for a weekend, to test ourselves. Well, that's a fun experiment, and yields beneficial information, but it's not exactly like being suddenly thrust into the dark ages. I think we tend to forget the long term effects of having no medicine, no medical care, no toilet paper, nobody that cares, and everybody that might gut us for the simple things that we currently take for granted.

Anyway, good thread, good insight. I initially though when reading your OP that you were one of those that longed for TSHTF. I'm glad to be wrong in my initial assessment.

be safe.

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I hope for no SHTF in any of our lifetimes.

Those that think it will be somehow better than what we've got are deluded, it won't like the fantasy films, reality will hit hard and you will pray for those golden olden days where everthing was available, at a cost.

You can stock up on food and guns if you are lucky enough to live in America. But, how long will they last? Think of how many people will be out trying to hunt in the same areas as you, or trying to steal you supplies. Sure you may have a gun, but what if they outnumber you and they too have guns?

What if you got something really simple like a toothache from an infected canal root? Infection can kill. You will have to pull your own tooth out and hope it doesn't snap off. Sure you can stock up on antibiotics but they won't last long.

What you can stock will only last so long, unless you can grow or hunt. Farmers for years have died out through starvation due to disease of crops, insect infestation or bad weather, they had far more agricultural experience than we do.

It would be hell on Earth.

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by argentus
reply to post by PS3Geek

Where I grew up in northern Idaho..... it was very simple. We hunted and fished and gardened for food. People had jobs, but nearly everyone provided most of their own food. We didn't get indoor plumbing until I was about 12. I remember my father yelling at me to "stop! flushing! that! [expletive] toilet!.

People can live like that, however I think it's sometimes a mistake to think that we can ease into such a lifestyle.

Here's an experiment: Ask your friends and family if they can make fire without matches or a lighter. Then, ask them to show you. If your family/friends are like mine, there will be a disparity between what they believe they can do and the reality of their performance.

Since we moved to the Caribbean, we've been simplifying our lives, more in line with how I grew up. Are we prepared? Yes and no. There is always something lacking, and these days the things lacking are often mental, rather than a physical item.

M'Bride and I used to shut down the power for a weekend, to test ourselves. Well, that's a fun experiment, and yields beneficial information, but it's not exactly like being suddenly thrust into the dark ages. I think we tend to forget the long term effects of having no medicine, no medical care, no toilet paper, nobody that cares, and everybody that might gut us for the simple things that we currently take for granted.

Anyway, good thread, good insight. I initially though when reading your OP that you were one of those that longed for TSHTF. I'm glad to be wrong in my initial assessment.

be safe.

Yes i realize survival is harder then it looks especially through the television screen it looks like fun on there but of course in the real world it would be hard and while i don't look forward to it i know its coming .

I have never hunted before or gutted an animal and i know if it came to it i would have trouble doing it mainly trying to keep myself from puking .

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tykonos
I hope for no SHTF in any of our lifetimes.

Those that think it will be somehow better than what we've got are deluded, it won't like the fantasy films, reality will hit hard and you will pray for those golden olden days where everthing was available, at a cost.

You can stock up on food and guns if you are lucky enough to live in America. But, how long will they last? Think of how many people will be out trying to hunt in the same areas as you, or trying to steal you supplies. Sure you may have a gun, but what if they outnumber you and they too have guns?

What if you got something really simple like a toothache from an infected canal root? Infection can kill. You will have to pull your own tooth out and hope it doesn't snap off. Sure you can stock up on antibiotics but they won't last long.

What you can stock will only last so long, unless you can grow or hunt. Farmers for years have died out through starvation due to disease of crops, insect infestation or bad weather, they had far more agricultural experience than we do.

It would be hell on Earth.

Yes i know its allot different then what they show in the movies they make it look fun but i know survival wouldn't be fun .

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeenMyShare
I really like the convenience of drip coffee, microwave ovens, thermostatically controlled heat, hot and cold water on tap, showers, computers, internet, grocery stores, a warm bed, fans or air conditioning, and automobiles.

I'm prepared to live without all of the above but I sure wouldn't prefer to live that way.

So do i but as long as we're prepared to live without these things then the better but it sure would be hard getting used to .I love my bed haha .

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
reply to post by PS3Geek

but you won't have to work for the gov just for yourself and family hunting for food and fending off looters

It also means no going to the grocery store to get food, you have to hunt, fish, grow your own (each day, as you likely won't have a fridge for it). Have you ever actually hunted and skinned an animal? Not the easiest (or most pleasant) task in the world, I'll tell you.

No tv's, no tv programming, no computers, no internet, and no air conditioning (try living in Florida with no AC)...

Boiling your own water, just to drink (and don't think that all those mountain streams are so pure, you never know what's upriver, like a deer corpse in the water, etc.)...(and rivers are nature's bathrooms)

As for fending off looters, how would you like to have been the PERFECT survivalist...you prepared for EVERYTHING....only to have it stolen from you by a gang of 20 idiots with guns. You've got your family to protect....you'll give it to them...believe me.

Nothing like dying from a broken foot, or some disease wiped out before you were born, now that there are no doctors around.

We may talk about surviving such a scenario, and while part of it may seem exciting and new, most of us who are sane really hope it NEVER happens...especially those of us who truly have considered what would be lost.

I totally understand man and no i have never hunted before and never gutted an animal i would most likely throw up .

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by argentus

Being able to communicate is something often taken for granted. I too, am in the Hurricane state, and not too long ago, we had power out for hours (we played Uno by candlelight).

But, we also had a battery powered black and white tv, so at least we had news, etc. Of course, now, such things are obsolete with the push to digital, so guess we'd be back to the radio these days (unless we get a cell signal)...

Luckily, our cell tower was working, so we were able to call family and friends, and keep tabs on folks (even had some relatives who were less prepared (and in an evac zone) join us that night for a nice steak dinner on the grill....

I totally understand man and no i have never hunted before and never gutted an animal i would most likely throw up .

When I was a kid in Alaska, I went hunting just as we all did. (Didn't usually have a big meat selection at the grocery store you know). Anyhow, I will never forget the first time I had to help with that unpleasant task (deer). I don't even like to clean fish...but I do know how.
edit on 6-10-2010 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I will eventually learn especially if my survival counts on it .

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by PS3Geek

Yep, what other choice is there, right? Here's to hoping you never HAVE to, unless you WANT to...

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Thanks .

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 07:26 AM
link   
TSHTF should never be hoped for. The fact that it is coming is, as of today, pretty much a forgone conclusion, unless there are some drastic changes, immediately. If you have not prepared at all you are in grave danger. First, let me say that I'm not looking forward to it, however I am very prepared for it. Just as I hope my house and all my belongings don't burn to the ground, yet I buy insurance every year for that specific purpose. Being prepared is nothing but insurance and woe unto the ones without it. My idea of survival is not living in a cave and having to eat bugs from under rocks or beat something to death with a stick and eat it "carpaccio" style. I chose a lifestyle that supports survival. I live in a rural area, have land and live a frugal and low profile lifestyle. I am weaning myself off of the grid and using various active and passive solar technologies to live in comfort and safety with minimal transitional stress. I currently grow a lot of my food and this next year all is in place to grow most of my food, if not all of my food. It is not hard to do, it just takes commitment and you'll achieve a greater peace of mind and a much healthier lifestyle. A total lifestyle makeover can be achieved in less than 3-4 years with sufficient commitment and you'll be free the rest of your life. Oh, to be sure, you will get up at dawn when the rooster crows and work hard, gardening, raising animals, doing chores and making repairs etc. You will go to bed at dark, because you are tired and you will sleep good, with a full stomach. Google permaculture and study it. To the good life! 2cents

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 08:11 AM
link   
My version of TSHTF is this: Complete and total breakdown of civilization. You are in a survival situation, with no outside help, no doctors, police, no grocery stores to go get your favorite food at 3 am. No food other than what you can gather yourself. Anyone is fair game when it comes to feeding yourself or family. No I don't mean eating each other, although it could possibly come to that. I mean you're walking down the street when a bullet takes the top of your head off and your body is searched for any thing that may help that other person. Roaming gangs kicking in your door to raid your house. Eating things that you never even think of now. We sit in our comfy recliners and watch Les Stroud [Survivorman] on T.V. and think "That's not too bad, I could do that". Try it. 999 out of 1000 will not make it past the first week, billions will die. The town or city you live in will become a vast wasteland with rotting corpses lying in the streets. Diseases will run rampant,The flu that you shake off in a few days now, will kill a malnourished person. If or when this happens it will be hell on earth with you and your family fighting to survive every day, and most likely losing. Any TV shows you've seen or books you've read will not be comparable to the complete horror of what is happening. Anyone still looking forward to it? The world does need to change and as quickly as possible, and like any new birth it's going to be bloody and painful.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   
while i would love for STHTF especially in america....

Here is Australia, things aren't so bad and DAMN i love my internet...

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by TripodXL
TSHTF should never be hoped for. The fact that it is coming is, as of today, pretty much a forgone conclusion, unless there are some drastic changes, immediately. If you have not prepared at all you are in grave danger. First, let me say that I'm not looking forward to it, however I am very prepared for it. Just as I hope my house and all my belongings don't burn to the ground, yet I buy insurance every year for that specific purpose. Being prepared is nothing but insurance and woe unto the ones without it. My idea of survival is not living in a cave and having to eat bugs from under rocks or beat something to death with a stick and eat it "carpaccio" style. I chose a lifestyle that supports survival. I live in a rural area, have land and live a frugal and low profile lifestyle. I am weaning myself off of the grid and using various active and passive solar technologies to live in comfort and safety with minimal transitional stress. I currently grow a lot of my food and this next year all is in place to grow most of my food, if not all of my food. It is not hard to do, it just takes commitment and you'll achieve a greater peace of mind and a much healthier lifestyle. A total lifestyle makeover can be achieved in less than 3-4 years with sufficient commitment and you'll be free the rest of your life. Oh, to be sure, you will get up at dawn when the rooster crows and work hard, gardening, raising animals, doing chores and making repairs etc. You will go to bed at dark, because you are tired and you will sleep good, with a full stomach. Google permaculture and study it. To the good life! 2cents

I don't hope for it mainly cause it would happen without notice and i would most likely be far away from my guns and gear and then it would be allot harder .

Living off the grid would be hard and who's to say it wouldn't but i am sure you wouldn't have as much stress as now because you don't work for the gov and pay no bills .

I have prepared minimally ( gun , ammo , backpack with some gear .) I know i need more allot more .

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by DAVID64
My version of TSHTF is this: Complete and total breakdown of civilization. You are in a survival situation, with no outside help, no doctors, police, no grocery stores to go get your favorite food at 3 am. No food other than what you can gather yourself. Anyone is fair game when it comes to feeding yourself or family. No I don't mean eating each other, although it could possibly come to that. I mean you're walking down the street when a bullet takes the top of your head off and your body is searched for any thing that may help that other person. Roaming gangs kicking in your door to raid your house. Eating things that you never even think of now. We sit in our comfy recliners and watch Les Stroud [Survivorman] on T.V. and think "That's not too bad, I could do that". Try it. 999 out of 1000 will not make it past the first week, billions will die. The town or city you live in will become a vast wasteland with rotting corpses lying in the streets. Diseases will run rampant,The flu that you shake off in a few days now, will kill a malnourished person. If or when this happens it will be hell on earth with you and your family fighting to survive every day, and most likely losing. Any TV shows you've seen or books you've read will not be comparable to the complete horror of what is happening. Anyone still looking forward to it? The world does need to change and as quickly as possible, and like any new birth it's going to be bloody and painful.

I can imagine that being very hard and scary to say the least that's why when sh*t does hit the fan then i hope i am prepared enough to survive and my family as well , yea i like that show too and when he does it it looks like you could do it but i know that its easier said then done .

I know when SHTF it won't be an adventure i am sure allot of younger people do but it won't and yes it will be hell on earth . I like to read things on survival and watch t.v shows that depict it but i won't rely on that for training i want to get out there and practice and learn hopefully soon .

I like to have the mindset that something could happen anytime soon but am not hoping for it ..

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaRAGE
while i would love for STHTF especially in america....

Here is Australia, things aren't so bad and DAMN i love my internet...

Well just remember if it happens here it will most likely happen over there as well . WW3 perhaps but lets hope not .

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by PS3Geek

No, Just want change. The system in place put 95% of the worlds $$$ in 5% or less of the worlds people. The sad part is it is not getting better, the middle class is joining the poor and the rich are getting richer.The job situation is bad and anyone with a job does not want to look for better work now. Then your boss keeps pushing you around knowing they can get someone with a degree to do a job that does not require it.

Yea, I want a new system not death.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by robbinsj
reply to post by PS3Geek

No, Just want change. The system in place put 95% of the worlds $$$ in 5% or less of the worlds people. The sad part is it is not getting better, the middle class is joining the poor and the rich are getting richer.The job situation is bad and anyone with a job does not want to look for better work now. Then your boss keeps pushing you around knowing they can get someone with a degree to do a job that does not require it.

Yea, I want a new system not death.

I want change too but it is looking pretty bleak at the moment i mean most people don't realize how badly we're being screwed over daily and they just go on like nothings wrong , they think nothing is wrong because they're brainwashed and think everything is alright when its not .

I hate working too but the money i get i am gonna purchase survival gear and of course another gun and more ammo .

Yea i am thankful to have a job as well and have an income too .

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Its seems as if you need an extreme catastrophic event to grant you relief from your everyday stress of life. That is not a life worth living my friend. I am not trying to take you too literal I am just saying the fact that you are breathing should be gift enough to satisfy. You have a mind capable of anything why let these demons grow within it?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join