It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HAL 9000 for President

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Maybe if we elect an Artificial Inteligent Computer to run the country we could eliminate corruption and rest assured only logical decisions will be made.

And the other elected officials should be AI also.

Wouldn't it be a great feeling if we knew every decision from now on was a logical decision for the greater good of the country?

And yes, HAL tried to kill off the crew, but ask yourself, why? To continue the mission he was ordered to do, imo.

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Open the Pod Bay doors HAL....

I'm afraid I can't do that, Dave...

Not a good trait in someone ultimately answerable to the people who elect him (it).

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
No thank you. Software is incredibly easy to manipulate, and that is all an A.I. would be, software. Besides, could you really trust the likes of Microsoft, Mac, Sony, etc to oversee the creation of an A.I. to run the country?

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by 35Foxtrot

How many people have died at the hands of elected officials?

And, its not like you can trust our elected officials.

I'm not saying I am for this, but it does interest me to think about the pros and cons.....I am thinking there are more positives and the country would be run better.

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by earth2

While my response was meant half-jokingly and half as an homage to 2001, at least humans have the ability to be held accountable to the electorate. HAL doesn't.

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I might be worried if the AI computer was running Vista!

I'm looking forward to the press conferences, when the AI president concludes with the Windows 3.1 Tada sound. "I have declared war on China.", Tada!

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I can see it now, "I'm afraid I can't let you do that congress.".

Sounds better than any current candidates.

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by earth2

the eagle eye ai had it right
follow the law = consitution

xp

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
This thread reminds me of the Robot stories by Isaac Asimov, where the supercomputer UNIVAC ruled the world, and people almost lived in fear of doing the wrong thing.
On topic, I can see a time in the future when countries will be run by computers, after all the Internet is all-pervading, and sooner or later this will happen.
The only thing to watch out for is the Skynet scenario, no Terminators here, thank you very much!

Roy.

posted on Oct, 17 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Question is, would Hal want to be president?

top topics

join