It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Rules for Avatars and Mini-Profile Backgrounds (Updated Opening Post: 2016)

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by justadood

not from what I can tell. Not saying there arent useful posts on ATS. Just saying that people care FAR more for avatars and catch phrases than they do intelligent, well-thought-out posts.

nice avatar! S and F for you!

Well thank you - too bad there aren't stars/flags on this board.

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I just wanted to thank ATS for no longer allowing animated backgrounds in the mini-profiles.

I find some of the avatar animations entertaining so I don't like to use the esc key to stop those, but some of the animated backgrounds were hideous monstrosities, I never saw one that wasn't at least annoying (sorry to anyone who had one who thought yours was the exception, I may have missed it and there may be exceptions, but the ones I saw were bad).

One person's was so bad I almost had to put them on ignore, but I never did because they made decent posts, I had to hold my hand over the monitor to cover that animation while reading their post, and I know several people including myself suggested they change it and they never did, maybe they wanted to be annoying?

Anyway this will be much better without animated miniprofile backgrounds, so thanks for that change!

posted on Oct, 9 2010 @ 05:12 PM
link   
It appears that I have a day or so to get a new background. Maybe I'll just static this one until I can find a better one.

In the future, if we see users with an avatar/background that violates these rules, how do we alert the staff about it, or does the coding completely reject file sizes that aren't within the specifications?

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
For some of us that never used mini backgrounds, just the avatar portion, but now have gone to using just the background, it's like a giant release ... way more space. Right? Or am I going to be unpleasantly surprised tomorrow?

posted on Oct, 10 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Hadrian

No, I think you're right. I never used a background picture before, just black. So now that I'm using the background FOR my avatar, it's bigger than before. I have to get some pictures from my old computer to make my new background, but we basically have 200x600 for our avatars. They just can't be animated and that's fine with me. I do hate the flashing avatars/backgrounds!

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Bumping. Im seeing a lot of avatars that are still TOO big

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Why do people do that? I mean have avatars that are cut off, and obviously not cropped right to size.

Also, I noticed recently on a few of my posts the bottom part of my avatar has been cut off. Was this a temporary glitch, or did the size (height) change again recently (last 24 hours)?

Thanks,
John

making post longer to see if my avatar shows up in full height...
edit on 11-10-2010 by Esoteric Teacher because: (no reason given)

Nope, Avatar still cut off. I may try to use it as a background image...
edit on 11-10-2010 by Esoteric Teacher because: nope

AH, this did happen today

That is ok, I'll use the background image option for my Halloween Themed "Avatar"

edit on 11-10-2010 by Esoteric Teacher because: This must be filled out. I have filled it out.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Esoteric Teacher

The limit is 170 x 240. You avatar is 194 x 421.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Enforcement Timeline

Beginning Monday, October 11th, 2010, the mini-profile code will automatically truncate your avatars to the size mentioned above.

Beginning November 1, 2010, our staff will begin removing avatars and backgrounds -- observed in recent postings, they won't "look back" at old posts -- that don't comply with the new dimensions and file sizes.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   

GEL, does mine look okay? Is it still too big? I actually like what the truncating did, but is there more still, that needs to be adjusted?

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
reply to post by Esoteric Teacher

The limit is 170 x 240. You avatar is 194 x 421.

My computer literacy is not working properly. shoot me.

me

Now what am I doing wrong? I am not using the avatar option, I'm using the mini-background image option and my picture is still not showing up right

Here is what I am trying to use, is it too wide? Is it too tall?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c4c96dee7f8b.png[/atsimg]

Pixel Space: The new "visible" space for background images is 180 pixels wide and 400-480 pixels tall (depending on other factors in your mini-profile).

Maximum Pixel Dimensions: Maximum allowable mini-profile backgrounds will be 200 pixels wide by 700 pixels tall. Smaller images are repeated in the background space.

All right, now I'm trying this format for my mini background image:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0d8c866d0af5.png[/atsimg]

edit on 11-10-2010 by Esoteric Teacher because: ugh

UGHH. Is there a limit to how many times I can edit one post?

Here is the image I am using for my background image which I think fits the parameters...

Pixel Space: The new "visible" space for background images is 180 pixels wide and 400-480 pixels tall (depending on other factors in your mini-profile).

Maximum Pixel Dimensions: Maximum allowable mini-profile backgrounds will be 200 pixels wide by 700 pixels tall. Smaller images are repeated in the background space.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8fc2dbd84dbf.png[/atsimg]

The pic I am using (trying to use) for my avatar background image is 180 pixels by 399 pixels, within the stated parameters of "180 pixels wide and 400-480 pixels tall" according to the Introductory post of this thread.

I am woefully computer illiterate today. I don't know why it doesn't work

A little help?

Thanks,
ET

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I'll help you. Make sure you're using the right link for background and put it in your profile in the background field of your profile, NOT the avatar field.

It should look something like this: /member/3a3d904f571d.jpg

Edit:

Yours is this: /member/8fc2dbd84dbf.png
Put that link in your profile BACKGROUND field and this link:
files.abovetopsecret.com...
In your avatar field.

Don't forget to hit submit under each one.

Try that.

edit on 10/11/2010 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
You also need to use a transparent spacer as an avatar - if you are using a background and do not want the text all bunched together. Anyone may use mine: files.abovetopsecret.com...
Place in the avatar space

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by ladyinwaiting

GEL, does mine look okay? Is it still too big? I actually like what the truncating did, but is there more still, that needs to be adjusted?

Looks perfect

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Yay! Thank you! John Q gets me off his back tonight!

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   

edit on October 11th 2010 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Thank you both Benevolent Heretic & Greeneyedleo!

I had the right code from my picture gallery in the right place in the avatar background image, but it was not looking right until I put in that transparent code in the regular avatar.

I will work more on it later, but for now it looks good enough.

Ughh, I don't like my computer illiteracy problems

Thanks again for the help,
ET

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Your "transparent avatar" (I didn't know ATS could use .png files??) helped, guess now I have that "tiling" you mentioned.

Ugghhh! Idiots like me, computer-challenged .... I barely figured out the OLD method, and even then, was pathetic at it. Now, this? (Maybe a >blank< will be better for future. Maybe I can learn, but I'm afraid the Sun might burn out first.....).

Haven't checked, has the "Avatar Tutorial" video been updated?? Please?

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker

Your "transparent avatar" (I didn't know ATS could use .png files??) helped, guess now I have that "tiling" you mentioned.

Ugghhh! Idiots like me, computer-challenged .... I barely figured out the OLD method, and even then, was pathetic at it. Now, this? (Maybe a >blank< will be better for future. Maybe I can learn, but I'm afraid the Sun might burn out first.....).

Haven't checked, has the "Avatar Tutorial" video been updated?? Please?

If the background is over 400 it will not tile, but leave empty space. Just an FYI
edit on October 11th 2010 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

And if you make it 190 wide, it won't tile from side to side.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join