It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study: Genetically altered trees could help climate

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 09:38 AM
link   
This just in from CNN.

news.blogs.cnn.com...

The study, led by a team from Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory and Oak Ridge National Laboratory, analyzed ways plants process carbon dioxide and convert it into forms of carbon.

The findings could one day lead to a forest of trees and other plants genetically engineered to pull in billions of tons of carbon from the air, counteracting the effects of global warming.

With all of the talk about genetically altered food that seems to be popping up everywhere, now they are trying to affect the air we breathe!!

Global warming has not been proven, so why modify these trees to try and counteract it? It's hard to say whether or not this could be good, by helping clean up all of the polluted air we have created, or if there is another purpose all together.

I haven't seen this posted on ATS yet, so I figured I would bring it forth.

Your thoughts.....?

edit on 3-10-2010 by Roadie because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   
heres an idea....

regular trees....

it might just be crazy enough to work!

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I believe mother nature has already perfected the trees,nothing should be genetically altered because once it is there's no going back and to me that's scary!!

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Do it.

Make it so they cannot reproduce, and plant them in tree-farms.

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Apparently this is an excerpt from an article in Bioscience. If you read some of the other articles from different news sites, it states that one of the ways of reducing the carbon is to modify the trees to put more carbon through its roots and into the soil. Would that in turn affect all other plants in the surrounding area that use the nutrients in the soil?

edit on 3-10-2010 by Roadie because: Typo

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
this is a stupid idea.

with the ease of cloning plants i dont understand why we dont just produce more of them. they dont need to be altered genetically, thats just overkill and potentially dangerous.

if they would have started planting hemp crops when all this nonsense began, the world would have been fixed ages ago.

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by RelentlessLurker

I think you might be on to something!
www.sdearthtimes.com...

Hemp is also a beneficial crop for the Earth itself. It is very easy on the land. It doesn't need many nutrients, so it doesn't require chemical fertilizers. Hemp outcompetes other weeds, so it doesn't need herbicides to thrive. Even hemp strains that are 100 percent THC-free produce their own resins that make the crop naturally pest-free, so it doesn't require toxic chemical pesticides. Hemp actually leaves the soil in better condition than before it was planted.

Why modify something like trees when there are resources already made by mother nature.

But this is about the trees. Hopefully this doesn't turn into a giant "legalize it" thread. That wasn't my inteded purpose.

edit on 3-10-2010 by Roadie because: Forgot link.

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Mankind has managed to ruin the earth, the air and water, all the elements we need in order to survive. We are now eating food that is genetically altered. The earth knows how to provide if only man would step aside and let it.

new topics

top topics

join