It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SAS officers warn that Britain is unprepared for a Mumbai-style attack

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Freedom ERP

I appreciate the insight and knowledge of your words... Calling any country a 'police state', trivialises the real problem! People feel suppressed,. as far afield as Plymoth or Paris! People do feel intimidated with a big police presence! They question why civilians can be so entrusted with intruding in the lifestyles of ordinary citizens! At the end of the day, that's all policemen/prison officers etc are! They're just members of the community who are trying to make a buck like anyone else! That doesn't give them the right to play 'high and mighty', at the expense of civil liberties! All we have are our civil liberties, for what they're worth... And we should fight for what little we have left! Otherwise, Orwells prediction, or worse, might just come true..."... imagine a booted foot... stamping on human face... forever"!

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Culdeeson

I trust the OP will allow this move away from the actual topic of this thread but it is an important issuethat Culdeeson has raised, and I will maintain, does have bearing on the inital subject of this thread.

What police presence? The only time I see the police is on a weekend night in the town centres, attempted to maintain what passes for law and order in many towns and cities. I have not seen or found the heavy presence in all my years.

Of course, SF are just one part of the protection of the British people. The police are tasked with the day to day protect, working on intelligence supplied by many other agencies, and I guess in some neighbour hoods, there is a great police presence but if we are facing great threats from terrorists who claim to be guided by Islam, then it would seem logical for these terrorists to look to blend in, amongst the many decent and careing people who's lives are guided by Islam. And certain ethic groups in the UK have a great proportion of followers of Islam, so it would be logical for the police and security services to focus more time and attention on these groups. And with great focus, comes more visable policing, and some my feel, a heavy handed police presence.

It's a hard call on someone's human rights against my human rights to not get killed by a terrorist bomb, or in this case, a gun attack. The majority human right has to outweight the minority human right. You may not like this and believe that all our human rights are equal, but in the real world, they can not be and decisions have to be made based on the great good. So, if you live in a neighhood that has a greater proportion of followers of Islam, and our security and intelligence agencies believe that terrorists are hiding amongst them, and I would have to concur that this is the most likely location for Islamic based terrorists to hide, you have to accept a heavier police hand.

What else would you have the security forces do? Because, if there is a terrorist attack like the one suggested by these SAS officers and in the enquiry that would follow such an attack, it came out that the police has taken a light hand as they did not want to offend a minority, just think what the majority and the familes of those killed and injuried would think?

posted on Nov, 2 2010 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Culdeeson
A Mumbai style attack on British soil is not impossible... and if the murderous events of the Raul rampage are anything to go by, then you'd better lock up your windows and doors pronto! This is because the British polis, although being heavily armed, do not have a very good track record for swiftly apprehending psychos on the loose with guns! Hungerford is another case in point!

I never said it was impossible, if you actually read what I said I first stated that this sort of attack could be planned and executed in 24 hours, but the main thrust of my post was to belittle any terrorist you thinks they can break the UK. I was merely pointing out my total lack of fear over any potential attack and seeing as terrorism's main goal is create fear in order to effect an agenda, then they have failed before they have even begun.

You're pretty sad Stumason! I thought West Ham/Chelsea, whoever,would have been sick and tired of having the polis on yer backs!

That wasn't very nice, w2as it? I actually went to a game this saturday, took my two 7 year olds for the first time and guess what, I saw barely 10 coppers in the whole stadium, for a crowd of 17,000 odd people. Hardly "on my back" or a heavy presence at all. Now, some teams "fans" have a reputation, so a heavier police presence is required to stop any trouble but for the most part even these games go by without a problem and you wouldn't know the fuzz were there.

In fact, it's the same at any soccer game in the world. You have fans that like to cause trouble, expect a few hundred fuzzletons on horseback to make sure familes, like mine, can go to the game and enjoy it properly without bricks and glass bottles whizzing through the air.. Isn't that why we have a Police force? Sorry, I must have thought they were paid to weed old ladies gardens.....

You do seem to have an awful lot to say about the UK despite being Scandanavian. Do you live here?

It's a 'police state' when they're doin it to you, but not when they're doin it to the Pakis'!....Sad really!

I also complete reject, and I am offended by the insuation, that for some reason I think it's ok for the jackboot to fall on someone merely because they might be of a different ethnic group and also the term you are putting in my mouth. Not once did even mention race in my post and you're making stuff up! That is libel you know and technically I could sue your balls off for it.

But so predictable! Where you ever in the Forces? Thought not!... Good try though!

What the flying monkey fudging hell has that got to do with the price of fish in Grimsby on a Wednesday? Becuase I am not forces, my opinion on whether the UK is a Police State doesn't count? Fudge off, you winker.

I may not be a member myself, but my family has and continues to serve HM for generations, I am actually the black sheep in that regard and it is solely down to a Rugby injury sustained in my teen years which has prevented me.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

A Mumbai style attack on British soil is not impossible... and if the murderous events of the Raul rampage are anything to go by, then you'd better lock up your windows and doors pronto! This is because the British polis, although being heavily armed, do not have a very good track record for swiftly apprehending psychos on the loose with guns! Hungerford is another case in point!

I never said it was impossible, if you actually read what I said I first stated that this sort of attack could be planned and executed in 24 hours, but the main thrust of my post was to belittle any terrorist you thinks they can break the UK. I was merely pointing out my total lack of fear over any potential attack and seeing as terrorism's main goal is create fear in order to effect an agenda, then they have failed before they have even begun.

You're pretty sad Stumason! I thought West Ham/Chelsea, whoever,would have been sick and tired of having the polis on yer backs!

That wasn't very nice, w2as it? I actually went to a game this saturday, took my two 7 year olds for the first time and guess what, I saw barely 10 coppers in the whole stadium, for a crowd of 17,000 odd people. Hardly "on my back" or a heavy presence at all. Now, some teams "fans" have a reputation, so a heavier police presence is required to stop any trouble but for the most part even these games go by without a problem and you wouldn't know the fuzz were there.

In fact, it's the same at any soccer game in the world. You have fans that like to cause trouble, expect a few hundred fuzzletons on horseback to make sure familes, like mine, can go to the game and enjoy it properly without bricks and glass bottles whizzing through the air.. Isn't that why we have a Police force? Sorry, I must have thought they were paid to weed old ladies gardens.....

You do seem to have an awful lot to say about the UK despite being Scandanavian. Do you live here?

It's a 'police state' when they're doin it to you, but not when they're doin it to the Pakis'!....Sad really!

I also complete reject, and I am offended by the insuation, that for some reason I think it's ok for the jackboot to fall on someone merely because they might be of a different ethnic group and also the term you are putting in my mouth. Not once did even mention race in my post and you're making stuff up! That is libel you know and technically I could sue your balls off for it.

But so predictable! Where you ever in the Forces? Thought not!... Good try though!

What the flying monkey fudging hell has that got to do with the price of fish in Grimsby on a Wednesday? Becuase I am not forces, my opinion on whether the UK is a Police State doesn't count? Fudge off, you winker.

I may not be a member myself, but my family has and continues to serve HM for generations, I am actually the black sheep in that regard and it is solely down to a Rugby injury sustained in my teen years which has prevented me.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Sorry Stu! You're right, I was completely out of order... Just trying to stir things up a little! Please! don't sue my balls off!

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 05:49 AM
link   
no one’s prepared, how the hell could you be prepared?

a group of men with ak's and grenades just bursts into a public shopping mall.. random day, random time, random place.

Proper preparation would entail gun emplacements and pill boxes on every corner..

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
no one’s prepared, how the hell could you be prepared?

a group of men with ak's and grenades just bursts into a public shopping mall.. random day, random time, random place.

Proper preparation would entail gun emplacements and pill boxes on every corner..

Good idea!

Turrets fixed to the CCTV cameras are long overdue in my opinion.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Culdeeson

Fair do's, sorry for being somewhat "grumpy" with you too. i am usually more tactful than that, but I have been unwell and the temper was short.

No harm done, i hope.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 11:05 AM
link   
yes uk is unprepared for such an attack because everyday constables at most carry pepper spray ,a taser ,and a truncheon . give each bobby a 40 cal and every patrol car a 12 gauge police shotgun or a civilan version of the hk 416 or 417 each with 4 reloads. then they might have a fighting chance. by the way if you had civilian right to carry the recent spree killing in cumbria might have seen less deaths.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by proteus33

Originally posted by proteus33
yes uk is unprepared for such an attack because everyday constables at most carry pepper spray ,a taser ,and a truncheon . give each bobby a 40 cal and every patrol car a 12 gauge police shotgun or a civilan version of the hk 416 or 417 each with 4 reloads. then they might have a fighting chance. by the way if you had civilian right to carry the recent spree killing in cumbria might have seen less deaths.

All police, armed to the teeth, is overkill for the occasional nutter with a gun episode. It never stopped any of the mass shootings that regularly occur in the USA.

Just as air travel is statistically safer than driving but incredibly tragic when crashes occur, we should accept that where people have access to guns, things will go wrong sometimes. If it's not possible to eliminate the guns, don't exacerbate the problem by hugely multiplying the number of guns in circulation.

We certainly don't want to wind up with the US' problem of police officers executing people on the streets or in their homes for misdemeanors.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnJasper

Indeed. Have a star.

It seems the US response to almost any situation is to shoot it. If that fails, shoot it again, maybe blow it up a little. Solves nothing in the long run. I just wish they would stop harping on about how gun owenership solves the worlds ills and how we should all have weapons. Even when guns were legal in the UK, ownership was never high as we just plain don't want them.

Why exacerbate a problem by adding MORE guns to the mix? It's like coming across a burning house and throwing petrol in it. Yeah, it'll burn quicker and be over sooner, but there is still a mess to clean up.

posted on Nov, 3 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

I would accept that it is harder to be prepared for a single person committing such an act but once you get to a group of people, there will need to be preparations, and it is this that our intelligence services are looking to pick up on, either with electronic or human intelligence.

Of course, day to day protection of these types of target will always be hard to achieve, which is why we need to continue to invest in our intelligence services and ensure that have all the tools and assets to deliver security to all of us.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join