It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mozilla Phone Concept Looking Rather Awesome

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Just found out about this "Open Web Phone", looks pretty cool to me, and seems to be bridging the gap between the smart phone and PC. As far as I know Mozilla has no plans to begin production of this concept, but it does show some possible future phone applications that look VERY interesting.

mozillalabs.com...

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 02:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Tetrarch42

WOW!!! That looks awesome! I love the idea of a "Community-driven Mobile Phone" I guess it's sort of like an open source phone. That phone truly is like something you might have seen in an old sci-fi movie depicting the future. Brilliant stuff.

EDIT: And I just want to add, this is what you get when something is community driven rather than profit driven! I love it.

edit on 3/10/10 by CHA0S because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 02:34 AM
link   
That's something I'd would purchase in a heartbeat...or more than one depending if I have the Funds.

Thank's for sharing.

edit on 3-10-2010 by Oozii because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 02:51 AM
link   
Nope
All I want to get from my next phone is oled screen to see gps maps in the sunlight and longer battery life.

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I absolutely love this! Im a certified mobile geek at the best of times and this has some great innovations.
I especially like the dual projectors that give you a screen and keyboard at the same time.
I really hope this or some of the ideas make it into handsets in the near future.
Thanks for posting this, s+f from me!
Edit to add: the click and drag in 3d space looks pretty cool too, i wonder if it is similar to the Nintendo Wii Bluetooth controllers?

edit on 3/10/2010 by sileighty because: stuff....

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 02:28 AM
link   
I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread. I have been telling my girlfriend that phone manufacturers need to integrate a detachable bluetooth earpiece into phones ever since they became "the norm." We were just having a discussion last night around dinner about where phone tech is heading and I suggested that with pico projectors becoming smaller and using lasers instead of bulbs, they should be incorporated in a way to use as a screen. Also, I remember saying that Apple's next move would probably be a laser keyboard, prop your phone up on a solid surface and have access to a full sized keyboard wherever you go. Like this here: www.virtual-laser-keyboard.com...

Not sure who will do it first but it's obvious that is the direction we are headed. If it weren't for such greed, we would already see 2-3-4-5-6 core processors in phones with 10x the battery life and 3-5x faster internet speeds. Totally making the PC obsolete for probably 90% of the population. Only power users and gamers would need to use desktops for their massive power consuming graphics cards.

Can you even fathom the tech that black-ops guys get to use everyday?! It gets me excited to see ideas I have become possibilities. Awesome to say the least!

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 09:38 AM
link   
This looks awesome, (I might try and persuade my parents to get me one) but the keyboard is cramped at the middle.

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   
I'd buy one if it was a real product. Unfortunantly it isn't....

It's just a rendering to demonstrate where technology may be heading. Dang cool though...

From the site:

FAQ
Who created this project?

Seabird was created by Billy May, a Mozilla Labs community member who in early 2009 created an initial vision of what an Open Web mobile phone could look like. Seabird is Billy’s followup project in which he incorporated the feedback he received from the wider community on his first throw-away concept. To learn more about Billy May, please visit his homepage.

How does this relate to Mozilla / Mozilla Labs?

Billy is a community member in the Mozilla Labs community and created Seabird in his spare time. Seabird is not a Mozilla or Mozilla Labs project but part of the Mozilla Labs Concept Series. The Concept Series provides a place for the wider community to create and collaborate on projects which push the boundaries of the Web and the browser.

Does Mozilla have plans to produce a mobile phone?

No. Mozilla produces Firefox for Mobile, the popular Firefox browser for mobile phone systems such as Nokia Maemo and Android. You can find out more about Mozilla Firefox for Mobile here.

edit on 10/4/2010 by kinglizard because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   
it is absolutely freekin' brilliant. !

very very cool.
Thanks OP!

new topics

top topics

join