It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Complex Relationship Between Flora and Fauna.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 01:34 AM
link   
I brought up this topic on ATS Live... Perhaps it was not the right place to discuss it. I didn't really get to go into too much detail with it or have the chance to have productive discussion about it. Soooo....

I decided to make this thread and put it in the Philosophy and Metaphysics forum, which I feel is the right setting for a topic such as this.

Today, I had a strange calling to get connected with flora. Flora is of course things such as plants and trees.

I asked my mother if she had any extra houseplants that I could take care of. She recommended a cactus as they are easy to take care of and maintain. I obliged.

So I got started on my little project. I got two small clay pots and filled them with soil. I got small nodules of cacti of 4 different types and put them in the two clay pots. I put the two soft needled ones in one, and the two sharp needled ones in the other.

Once it was all set up, I had an instant connection with my new friends. I could feel their energy and their will to live and grow big and strong. So I spent the day with them, sending them good vibes and kind intentions. I could feel them basking in those positive vibes. It felt really great for everyone.

As I type, I stare at my new cacti friends. I even gave them names! Orchy, Speara, BearClaw and UnoMas! They like their new names and individuality.

I have a very deep connection with the Flora, which are the other living life form of this planet Earth. I mean think about it. They basically are what we can consider to be an intelligent lifeform other than animals. I can feel their lifeforce. I can feel their mood. They all have different personalities as well, and like in the human world, some of them either like or dislike each other.

The part I find most fascinating about all this is how Flora and Fauna have a symbiotic relationship with each other basically. Humans give off carbon dioxide. Trees and plants can take this and convert it into oxygen, which of course is what we breathe. How magical is that!?

Well, that should be enough for an opening post. I would really love to hear your opinion on these fascinating living life forms and how they fit into the big picture of Mother Earth.

Thanks for reading. Hope you meet some awesome new friends out there!

-SES

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Have you ever read "The Secret Life of Plants"? I found it really interesting and thought provoking. The author talks about how he was able to get energetic readings from plants to map their "emotional" responses to different stimulus. At least that's what the first part of the book is about. I stopped reading it after he cited L. Ron Hubbard, so I don't know exactly how trustworthy a book it is. But like I said, thought provoking.

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 02:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Mossflower

Sounds like a cool book.

I remember watching Japanese programming one time and they had a machine that could supposedly hear different types of plants singing. It was highly interesting and I will see if I can find a link.

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 02:57 AM
link   
reply to post by SolarE-Souljah

Hi solar

the names part made me smile lol
you are correct ... the faune plants and trees and flowers .. they dont have 2 legs
but they are living creatures .. like from another world .. completely different from us
since i moved in my new place 2 yrs ago living alone
i have bought some plants .. i have 1 big tree called a benjamina
another one that a bought for 5 box at the supermarche
and a smaller one for the kitchen window .. she make little pink flower

love that one .. i have transfering it into a nice big round beer glass

recently i have found some seeds in one of my trip to the usa ..
a little bag on the ground with 14 seeds lol .. i though ok lets give them a chance to live
the destiny made me found the pink bag outside a crackel barrel in NC
my brother always found cash and stuff lol .. but me a bag of seeds (tomato seeds
)
my last time i have try to make something grow out of a seed .. nothing worked
i have been attentionned to them .. they are all unique
some of the 14 are strong .. others are not .and other are smaller
i have almost given them names to .. the twins .. the midjet .. the 2 big brother the skinny one lol
its incredible what life can do growing like that out of a seed to something big and alive
i call them my babies
.. i have take care of them very much
something i can look at them for a few minutes

the leafs change side to have the maximum light energy

i think plants are more inteligent then certain humans
they are beautifull .. i have also a cactus but .. it grow to slow .. its in my window kitchen lol .. boring

but its it right to receive at least water from me and have a chance to survive

Great thread idea S&F .. i never talked that deep about my plants

the only thing i sense from them .. is their will to live and grow ...
they are in prison into our home .. that makes them dependant of us

i advice any futur mommy to buy plants .. it make the responsability grow up in you

preparing for a baby with other babies (plants)
even man love plants .. i ahve discovers that not to long ago
before i wasnt into it at all

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 03:38 AM
link   

I've been playing a lot of war games on my PC lately, and for the last 6 months I've been growing my first 'flora'.
Also for the last several months, the area I live has seen its worst coldest winter in 13 years yet somehow I managed to keep my little buddies alive through the winter, now its summer they're looking as healthy as when I first planted them, i feel like I've protected my battalion against the enemy, we survived the cold war...

but stupid jokes aside, it truly was/is an awesome feeling & I'm looking forwards to growing some food next

-B.M

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Aww guys thanks for the replies! I didn't know there were others out there who treated taking care of flora as nurturing "yer babies!" That's so sweet. I'm glad to see there is still compassion in this world in this time. Yay!

-SES

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 08:16 AM
link   
What fascinates me the most about plants is how humans,animals, insects and plants have all co-evolved together, each influencing the other in this epic dance of symbiosis. No species evolves in a vacuum, it is due to the interactions of different forms that encourage change and bring life to it's current form of perfection.
When you think deeply on this, you realize how everything is the way it should be which I somehow find very comforting. The idea that mankind needs to get involved and try to change this or that about nature seems rather foolish in that light. We don't need to fight nature, we need to learn to flow with it.
I think this might be the new starting point (philosophically speaking) for science to follow. It is much more of an eastern-type philosophy than western, closer to zen Budhism than Christianity. It has taken a long while for us to reach this point and I do see a conflict in western civilizations building through this dichotomy. I feel we are experiencing the last gasps of the aggressive western model where force dictates right and destruction is the inevitable byproduct.
Maybe in 50 years we will move past the wars of religion and collectively come to a new understanding of ourselves and the world.
May the quiet power of plant life guide us and be our companions in the difficult road ahead.

I was worried my post might be too abstruse but then I realized this is about people talking to plants

I think I'm safe here!

CX

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Hi Solar, thanks for this thread.

I bought the book "Secret Life of Plants" last night after reading about it online.....i mention it in your other thread...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

It's a subject i've not looked into much, but i have enjoyed other topics in past like the effect of emotions on water and the likes.

Thanks for bringing this up, i look forward to looking more into it.

Regarding the book, i have also read a few negative responses to it, some are quite skeptical about the science behind it. Thats one opinion though so i'll not write it off quite yet.

CX.

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I find plants really fascinating too they have so many varied ways of growing and surviving and some of them are almost immortal through using a self cloning technique. link

The quiver tree is quite fascinating, it's able to cut off it's own branches to survive if there is a lack of water

And this fig tree is a stone cold killer

CX

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Heres the book on Amazon if anyone is interested...

www.amazon.com...

CX.

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I think the reason some people aren't connected deeply with flora is because of their environment in which they grew up in. I find it saddening that some people grew up in the concrete jungle! How stressful and full of negative vibes must those types of places be for a child???

I on the other hand grew up in the jungle jungle. Heck, I look outside my window and see miles and miles of rainforest jungle. There are some trees and plants that have been with me since I was a child. Really good stuff.

People need to realize that nature is there to help us. We are Mother Earth's "babies" and she wants to nurture us and much sure her babies are nice and happy. The flora of the world want to help us as well. If you are surrounded by nature, guaranteed you will be more at ease instead of being surrounded by cars, concrete buildings, screaming, yelling, etc...

I have been to a big city before and I almost broke down because of the stress. It is just such a hostile environment which encourages all the wrong things in my opinion. Yet, there are some people who love the concrete jungle, and hey, I can't judge. If they are comfortable with that lifestyle then good for them.

But... it would be great if city folk could take some time every once in a while to go be out in nature... with no tall buildings, asphalt roads, technology, etc...

One thing I like to do from time to time is to root myself to back into the Earth. Yes, it does sound strange, but it really does work.

I find me a nice soft patch of grass, next to a couple nice trees, and sit cross legged with my bare feet touching the ground. I then like to imagine I am rooting myself to the life source, the Earth, and feel the nourishing energy entering through the bottom of my feet. It feels absolutely amazing and you are stoked that you are doing the same thing as your tree friends surrounding you.

I love nature. I feel we should all connect back to nature and become friends with the trees and plants on our home, Planet Earth.

-SES

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Yet another wonderful thread dear Solar.
I surround my indoor living environment with live plants and love nurturing them. In the coldest months when all is grey and dreary and lifeless,I have my lovely living plants to bring me joy.

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   

The Complex Relationship Between Flora and Fauna.

Off the top of my head i can think of two particularly interesting , and not too obvious , flora fauna relationships.

The re-release of wolves into Yellowstone National Park has had the secondary benefit of increasing the numbers and variety of tree species surviving to maturity.Deer etc who do not know predation from wild wolves, loiter in the one area decimating young saplings. In the knowledge that there are wolves about , ruminants now linger but a short while in each area . A balance of sorts has been restored.

The rotting carcasses of salmon brought deep into the woods from the rivers by beers and other animals and birds , break down into the soil and get absorbed into the trees. Apparently these minerals, found abundant in the sea, are rarer on the land .The nutrients are a tonic to these great forests .

All these different organisms existing in layers of complex relationships , perfecting themselves over geological time frames.

Beautiful to behold and a joy to contemplate.

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
One of the best documentaries I ever watched was The Private Life of Plants. A BBC production with David Attenborough. Magic.

Attenborough - "These trees, and bushes, and grasses around me, are living organisms, just like animals, and they have to face very much the same sort of problems as animals face throughout their lives, if they have to survive. They have to fight one another. They have to compete for mates. They have to invade new territories. But the reason that we are seldom aware of these dramas is that plants, of course, live on a different timescale.
But these days we have ways of speeding things up visually, and then you can see just how dramatic the lives of plants can be."

edit on 3-10-2010 by wigit because: eta

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by wigit

I think a lot of people owe a debt of gratitude to David Attenborough, for bringing nature at its most vibrant, into their lives and living rooms.

-----------------

An author with a particularly interesting perspective

Botany of Desire : A Plant's-Eye View of the World : Michael Pollan

Michael Pollan: The Omnivore's Dilemma

"If we had a keen vision and feeling of all ordinary human life, it would be like hearing the grass grow and the squirrel's heart beat, and we should die of that roar which lies on the other side of silence."
— George Eliot

edit on 3-10-2010 by UmbraSumus because: change death to debt

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 03:36 AM
link   
I got stuck into watching that documentary again, just after I posted it here. Plants are smarter than us. They built the first flying wings, gliders, helicopters, trampolines, bombs, parachutes, surfboards, velcro. I'm not kidding. Check out that start of this clip, looks like the pods in the first Alien movie. I must buy myself this series. Then I'll get that other one, The Life of Birds.

new topics

top topics

join