reply to post by OzWeatherman
Very creepy story! I agree; too bizarre to be invented. Several points:
1. They could have been regular kids out late. Not the norm, perhaps, but some people keep to different schedules. That said, I would check around
the neighborhood for kids fitting their general description.
2. The kitten bit seems a bit off to me. Having owned cats, they can be very hard to spot at night, and it seems unlikely that they would have been
able to spot exactly where one ran to. Plus, even if they did, they seemed reluctant to have you check the yard yourself, which is quite odd. I
would think most kids would rather someone fetched the cat for the, rather than entering a stranger's home. So, if these were regular kids, I
suspect an ulterior motive.
3. They really seemed to NEED you to invite them in. If they were just thugs, they probably could have attempted to enter, through a screen door,
right? That they wanted/needed the invite is rather creepy. Agree with others; shades of vampire stories.
4. The manner of speaking being not usual is something that reminds me of old MIB stories. Add that to the lack of light, and it's definitely
5. The comment about them being "just kids" isn't something I can imagine any kid saying under normal circumstances. Sounds more like a slip up.
6. I would not assume the feeling of threat wasn't valid. Instincts should NEVER be ignored, in my opinion. Whether normal kids or not, inviting
them in would have been, I believe, very bad.
7. The mind-reading thing is weird. However, that said, I have family members that can do this. "Hear" things people are thinking. They don't
try to; it just happens, and they state they can't tell that from actual speech, unless looking at the person. So, it could have been regular kids,
with a talent.
Some ideas to investigate. Daylight only. This was too creepy to risk going out looking for them at night. I am a night person by nature, and that
would freak me out. Check around with people to see if these are known kids. Also to see if anyone else encountered them. Consider a report to the
police, in case this was some attempt at a crime. Watch for missing kitten posters. If they really lost one, they will still be looking. Maybe
consider placing something in the backyard to bait a kitten, too. If possible, rig up a video camera. If not, have a camera ready in case they come
Be careful. Seriously creepy event!