It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Respect and Consideration.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   
We live in a "Me centric" world. We worry about ourselves without consideration for those that are walking next to us in life. Respect for others is lacking today. Why? Because we are worrying about our own lot in life. The next person thinking the same. It didn't used to be like this and society, ourselves included, were better off because we weren't just focused on ourselves. We focused on the whole, not just our own LITTLE world back then.

Respect and consideration for our fellow humans is lacking. It takes little to incorporate these into our lives. I'm not talking about the Jeffery Dahlmers. I'm talking about the regular people that we interact with on a daily basis. How much energy does it take for one to give respect to another? How much energy does it take to give consideration to another? You really don't even have to go out of your way to give these things to others.

What is wrong with taking a few extra steps to give back to a person something of no value that someone dropped? What is wrong with moving a few extra steps to make anothers place easier for them? Smokers(myself included) comes to mind. Is there an attitude that we can adopt that we see past ourselves and create an atmosphere of respect and consideration for all? Is this a Utopia in todays society? Have we gone so far in our own small lives that we can't reach out in little ways to make others feel more at ease, or to make them have a sense of "humanity" again?

It's got to start somewhere. Will you be part of it? It costs little and for society would gain much. I hope that we aren't so far gone into ourselves that this is a thing of the past. Respect and consideration of others is not a thing that should be scoffed at. It should be something that we strive for. It makes us better and HOPEFULLY would rub off on others and make society as a whole better.

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Intrepid,

S&F with nothing much to add to your sentiment other than we, as a culture are "me me me"'ing ourselves to death.

We've become so enamored with immediate gratification that we've forgotten what meaningful gratification feels like. It's a shame.

CX

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Couldn't agree more Intrepid.
S&F'd.

Lack of repsect for others, rudeness and general bad manners are my ultimate pet hate.

Best thing of all, it costs us nothing. Only the truely ignorant do not practise these qualities.

CX.

edit on 2/10/10 by CX because: grammar

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Very true.. One of the biggest reasons I will no longer visit western countries is the lack of manners, lack of compassion and rudeness of the people in them.. Sadly in the west good manners are fast becoming a thing of the past.. Starred / flagged well said and excellent observation op

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Another thought on "consideration".

noun: a considerate and thoughtful act
▸ noun: kind and considerate regard for others

www.onelook.com...

I moved into a new building a few weeks ago. About 10 days ago James was in discomfort because maid service had thrown out his baking soda, which he needed for his stomach ills. He didn't have the cash at the time to get more. I was at my exes the next day to see my kids. I asked if she had an extra box. She did. So James got what he needed. What did that cost me? Nothing. Just a little thought.

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

It's got to start somewhere. Will you be part of it? It costs little and for society would gain much. I hope that we aren't so far gone into ourselves that this is a thing of the past. Respect and consideration of others is not a thing that should be scoffed at. It should be something that we strive for. It makes us better and HOPEFULLY would rub off on others and make society as a whole better.

I grew up in a different era, it blows my mind the way people treat each other now. I still have respect and consideration for others, it was the way I was raised and grew up, my children were rasied the same way and they tell me all the time they don't like the way their peers act, they are 35, 37 and 40. I feel blessed by the people they are, I am not perfect but did something right and can thank my parents for it.

Excellent thread Intrepid, thanks for posting it.

S&F

posted on Oct, 21 2010 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Awesome thread buddy!!

I wish there were more people willing to put a little thought and effort into being nice.

Our world would change overnight, and it would be a form of utopia. People can still be upset and respectful, I try and tell my wife this daily, and deal with their problems as adults.

I always think we try an teach our children these things but forget to follow them ourselves. Good role models we are, and then we try and figure out what is wrong with humanity.

We're weird creatures.

Pred...

new topics

top topics

join