It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: North Korea Threatens to Explode Nuclear Weapon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 05:36 PM
link   
North Korea, in a sign that recent talks may be headed for failure, today made the threat of a test known to US negotiators.

NK Threatens Test
WASHINGTON (AP) - North Korea told the United States on Thursday that it would test a nuclear weapon unless Washington accepted Pyongyang's proposal for a freeze on its atomic program, a senior administration official said.

Vice Foreign Minister Kim Gye Gwan spoke with Assistant Secretary of State James A. Kelly in a 2 1/2-hour private discussion in China, where a six-nation conference is being held on the long-running impasse over Pyongyang's nuclear ambitions.

The United States has been insisting on complete disarmament by the communist state and submitted a proposal to the conference on Wednesday outlining the benefits North Korea could receive if it complies.

The senior administration official said the North Korean threat suggested that the Beijing discussions were headed toward failure. The conference ends on Friday with the issuance of a communique.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

One has to wonder if this is just more bluster to gain position at the negotiating table or do they really mean to show the world that they possess the means to make and field nuclear weapons.

With the movement of F-117 fighter bombers to support operations in the western Pacific one could be led to believe their may be a connection.

[edit on 24-6-2004 by Phoenix]

[edit on 6-24-2004 by Valhall]

[edit on 24-6-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 06:10 PM
link   
One sure sign this is probably going to get bigger. FoxNews now has a fancy lead in/teaser for North Korean news stories called "North Korean Meanace". It is a complilation of various scenes of the NK leader, troops, etc in battle positions.

Very ominous music plays as the scenes flash by.

Never see these unless they will get their money's worth in running them. Also very much like the Iraq teaser used during the lead up to that war.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by nativeokie
One sure sign this is probably going to get bigger. FoxNews now has a fancy lead in/teaser for North Korean news stories called "North Korean Meanace". It is a complilation of various scenes of the NK leader, troops, etc in battle positions.

Very ominous music plays as the scenes flash by.

Never see these unless they will get their money's worth in running them. Also very much like the Iraq teaser used during the lead up to that war.

Fox News put together one of those ominous montages every time theres a crisis, Israel, India V Pakistan etc.

Theres a long way to go before anything is likely to happen in Korea, if it ever does happen. Talking about maybe testing a nuke is hot air, but if they do test one, for real. Well then you've got a crisis.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 08:08 PM
link   
If NK fires off a nuke test the U.S. will invade (even before the election) in a matter of a few weeks if that IMO.

America will not allow this to happen because America will not consider bending one inch over the NK offer to freeze the nuke program if we offer them fuel oil which again IMO is just a smoke screen to continue to develop nukes which NK could then sell on the black market for the big bucks. This is something I find disdurbing.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 08:30 PM
link   
I HIGHLY doubt the USA wants to get into a two theater problem. While I doubt NK has a bomb I do think they will continue to press the issue. Remember this is a nation that is on the brink of complete bankrupcy. The outcome will depend on if they do actually detonate a bomb or they don't. I don't think China would like NK to detonate a bomb and it would undermine their leadership agenda in the East.

Do I think there would be a war in NK? No. Why? The US forces are already thin with the rotations in Iraq and other theaters. The US wants to pull forces out of Korea to help in Iraq. It's more of a logistics issue. We do have the forces to do both battles, but I don't think they want that to happen.

Just my opinion

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 10:07 PM
link   
If NK sets off a nuke what would stop China from using the precedent set by Iraq and invading NK themselves. Perhaps even with US support. They then could set up a puppet government in NK and get rid of the ridiculous and embarrasing Kim IL idiot. They have wanted a puppet government in NK since the 50's and have been seriously rebuffed by Kim Il Idiot lately. This could explain the scrambling of jets and the navy and perhaps even the huge expansion of the money supply recently since China is the number one buyer of dollars. Maybe the expansion was a payoff for our support. Lastly an invastion of NK woudl cowtow the renegades in Taiwan by displaying Chinese might, especially if it was exercised with US blessing and or support. I present this not as a proven theory but simply as a possible scenario outside of the box.

[edit on 24-6-2004 by Johannmon]

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Johannmon-I have had similar thoughts on China and NK. Kim is getting increasingly more irratic. Invading NK and relieving Kim would serve to defuse NK and US tensions as well as send a message to Taiwan.

Question now is - will China allow NK to test before they actually take action against Kim?

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I think that the Chinese would need the uproar and outrage in the court of world opinion that would result from NK setting off a nuke in order to fully justify their invasion. Otherwise they would need a political ramp up to war that would take months and have little chance of success in the court of world opinion, similar to what Bush did for the 4 months leading up to the war in Iraq. If however NK sets off the nuke then China could easily garner world support and even praise for its invasion of the korean peninsula. The real question is could they stop with the taking of the bankrupt nation of NK or would they be tempted by the tech and industry of SK.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 10:55 PM
link   
well bush HAS backed off his "you'll get nothing until you give up your nuclear weapons program" stance to one that gaurantees security and other such things, like fuel oil for their power factories as soon as NK agrees to stop their nuclear program.

i found this most striking since bush has always had a "you'll get nothing until" stance.

i think if crazy kim decides to push his luck he'll find himself dead or glowing in the dark.

its really all up to kim and his cohorts. THEY'RE the ones saber rattling. they're the ones with EVERYTHING to lose. even china isnt fully backing the crazy kook.

i hope china decides to teach their puppy a lesson and housebreak him for good and turn his part of korea into a vacation spot for chinese tourists.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Korean politics has a long history of outrageous statements by NK. For some strange reason, that's how NK negotiates. Maybe because the government is so vitriolic, that's all they know. It will go back and forth, and then a compromise will be reached. Of course, we need to be vigilant with NK, but also take them with a grain of salt. On a side note, people really watch Fox for news? If I believed them, I'd never leave the house! Why are they the only network that continually airs the latest Homeland Security threat? They are trying to keep you afraid. Don't believe the hype. We don't need a police state quite yet.

Q

posted on Jun, 25 2004 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Yay, another threat by NK. *YAWN*

Wait a minute--am I greatly mistaken, or is this not the exact same deal Clinton struck with them, the same deal that we busted them out on for cheating on the entire time, that started the lastest round of this mess?

If NK does test a nuke, I propose we designate NK as our new nuclear proving grounds. They keep talking about how every country should have the right to do so, don't they? Kim could learn all he wanted about cutting edge nuclear technology, in person, without leaving the comfort of his own home (although it may leave him...).

It's a joke people, don't get your panties in a bunch.

If they do so, the China invasion prospect is most intriguing. NK doesn't have much in the way of defenses on it's border with China, because they never even considered it a possiblity. (Magineaux line, anyone?) Obviously, the rest of the world wouldn't lift a finger to stop them. We'd all breathe a collective sigh of relief, and I'd say we might even muster on a unanimous UN vote. (Well, OK maybe not France.
)

IMO, we've just got NK on the back burner until either the US, or China, or some other consortium can deal with them as needed.

posted on Jun, 25 2004 @ 08:52 AM
link   
The talks must have not gone well at all for the Chinese to cancel the ending ceremony, China normally likes to have the positive media coverage that events such as this ceremony would have provided. Is this an indicator that the talks went so badly that the parties involved can not be civil to each other for an otherwise meaningless PR event.

China Cancels Ceremony

BEIJING - China canceled the closing ceremony for six-nation talks on North Korea (news - web sites)'s nuclear program, a Chinese government spokesman said Friday. He gave no reason, but the announcement came a day after the North reportedly threatened to test a nuclear bomb.

The ceremony Saturday, with envoys from the United States, the two Koreas, host China, Japan and Russia, was to have followed three days of talks on U.S. demands for the North to abandon nuclear weapons development.

With NK threatening tests and the US insisting on program dismantlement that NK is resisting how long will it be before something happens?

posted on Jun, 25 2004 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Perhaps we should "Test" one of our nuclear weapons... right over N. Korea. I'm getting pretty tired of Kim Jong-Il and believe it's high time we sent in a covert ops sniper-type to give him a hot lead injection between the eyes. But that's just my opinion...

new topics

top topics

join