It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guess what Dick Cheney told Senator Pat Leahy?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThePrankMonkey
wait a minute, its ok for kerry to use vulgarities and not cheney?

First of all, who said that it is OK for Kerry to use vulgarities?

Second of all, Cheney said "go **** yourself" while speaking face-to-face with Leahy. In a Rolling Stone interview, Kerry said that he did not expect Bush to **** up the Iraq War the way he did.

Is there any question that the context makes Cheney's remark considerably more ungentlemanly and rude?

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 04:49 PM
link   
well since some of the same people who have jumped all over cheney for using the f word are the some of the same people who acted like kerry using the f word wasnt a big deal...i think my question has merit.

secondly the use of vulgarities is the use of vulgarities, period. in either case both cheney and kerry could have worded what they said differently. the f word isnt necessary regardless how its used.

if one person can use vulgarities why cant everyone else?

i personally dont care if they're all using the f word. its a small issue in light of everything else going on.

i just find it amusing to see people making a big deal out of this when he isnt the first politician to use vulgarities.

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I find it refresing that someone in politics actually said what they really meant, and at least he had the stones to say it to his face.

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by joey
Generally, I could care less about adults using profanity. I do it myself. But, Cheney and Bush were the ones who claimed they would bring "dignity and decorum" back to the White House. I may be a dimwit, but saying FU to someone,while in the Senate Chamber,isn't exactly bringing us "dignity and decorum".

I agree. It's also funny when one considers the obscenity fines leveled for using that very word in the media, yet it's all over the place now thanks to Cheney's gaffe. I think more children are hearing about the V.P. using the "f" word in public conversation than the few who listen to Howard Stern, don't you?

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Oh my!!!

I agree with Ambient Sound

Atleast Cheney didn't say it behind Leahy's back.

Like that's the first time that ever happened.

df1

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Get a cell ready at Gitmo for Cheney. His verbal assault is clearly an act of terrorism.

Isnt it silly that we can not quote the words of the vice president in a discussion of what he actually said and are reduced to typing things like "f****" or the "f word".

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Cheney Is A Verbal Terrorist
Get a cell ready at Gitmo for Cheney. His verbal assault is clearly an act of terrorism.

Isnt it silly that we can not quote the words of the vice president in a discussion of what he actually said and are reduced to typing things like "f****" or the "f word".

That's a bit harsh wouldn't ya say df1? Besides Leahy probably misheard him. What he really said was "Yo luck to yourself!"

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 05:51 PM
link   
well cheyney's only human and humans make mistakes. Nobody is perfect no matter what position they hold in the world.

df1

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by MountainStar

That's a bit harsh wouldn't ya say df1? Besides Leahy probably misheard him. What he really said was "Yo luck to yourself!"

You are correct.

Lets leave it at a spanking, washing his mouth out with soap and a harsh rebuke from ted kennedy. Kennedys breath alone would exceed any punishment that could be administered at gitmo.

[edit on 26-6-2004 by df1]

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by df1

well i personally could type the word # out if i want or i can use tact.

i think we're using tact, at least i am. or is being tactful silly?

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Oh, please!!!!! Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. Anyone here NEVER used the word? Especially in the heat of the moment.

We really don't want to get into a discussion about decorum in the White House, either

Saying what Cheney did has been said thousands upon thosands of times in our government.
If memory serves, LBJ was known to use quite the blue vocabulary...so what? We really need to get off this P.C. carp and get a life. Who cares if Kerry uses foul lanaguage. I'll bet even Reagan let a few loose from time to time. Maybe even George Washington with the obscenities of the day.

df1

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThePrankMonkey
well i personally could type the word # out if i want or i can use tact. i think we're using tact, at least i am. or is being tactful silly?

I am aware of the ATS rules and I agreed to follow the rules, thus I did not type the word on ATS. I do not think it is an issue of tact. I tend to think of words much like george carlin, we can have bad thoughts and bad intentions, but words are just a series of letters that are arbitrarily assigned a meaning. It is silly that the use of the word "intercourse" or the phrase "doing the wild thing" convey the same meaning as the infamous "f word" yet they do not have same stigma attached.

However my original comment was not a plea to have ATS change its rules and was said more to be thought provoking, but I still find the concept of bad words silly.

If you tell me that you did not laugh at carlins bit about "the 7 words you can never say on television" I wont believe you.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join