It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you find that you come to ATS less after this last "upgrade"?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by QuestionTheGovernment

You have a point, I have noticed a rise in non-sense threads that linger for days and days. I wonder if the new format actually attracted a new crowd?

Anywhere to see historical statistics from today vs a couple of months ago?

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I come here just as often as I did before the change over started. It amazes me though, how many people say they can't find the Edit, Quote, and Reply buttons since they are exactly where they were before.

edit on 10/2/2010 by Chamberf=6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I have to admit that I dont like it.

I liked when the threads were on the right hand side in highlighted colours. Now it all blends into one. It takes too much time to read the new format. The writing has defo been made smaller. The thread replies just blurr into each other.

I am all for changes and appreciate the upgrades and changes the ATS team have made. But when everything starts to become undistinguishable then I feel I have to voice my opinion.

Sometimes good ideas are not the best ideas.

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   
At first I hated the layout.

Now I actually like it. Actually even more-so after the last change.

I just wish there were more updates of new threads on the main page, it seems like some of those threads are stationary and not going anywhere quick.

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by infolurker

has anyone else found that they stay on ATS less because of the new "enhancements"?

I'm trying to withhold judgement for the moment. I don't think they're done yet. There are some thing that I like and use. For example, the new right-side menu is very convenient. There are a few things I dislike, but that don't affect me. For example, the conspiracy chicks, the twitter feed and whatever they're doing with facebook. But again, I just don't use these things and they don't affect me. And there are some things I dislike...and kind of annoy me. Most of these have to do with layout. Earlier today I spent several minutes looking for BTS and couldn't find it. There are layout and menu inconsistencies amongst various pages. For example, the middle-right menu list you get on the index page is different than the middle-right menu you get on individual board pages. In some places, message boards are called "boards" but the only way to get to the complete board list is to click on a button labeled "forum" instead of "board." Things like that. And there have been a lot more annoying pop ups, full page ads, and ads that obscure the top menu. But so far every one of these ads I've reported has been made to go away in short order.

But again...the makeover seems to be still in progress. Just yesterday I was writing a post to report issues with the site, and over the course of writing the post, those issues were corrected.

So, some good, some bad, some indifferent...but I don't think they're done yet.

But to answer the question, no I haven't been spending less time on the site because of the changes.

edit on 2-10-2010 by LordBucket because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
I'm not a fan either. Its over complicated the colors are annoying and the news sections have become a pain to navigate. I also have a hard time using it on my phone.

A site with this much information needs to be kept very simple in function and look.

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Come on, it is like a new...............kinda awkward but keep trying and you likey.

Still trying to figure everything out though. That is probably the most annoying.

Long time members were familiar with all the aspects of the site. Now that it has changed, you got to figure out all the aspects of it.

There are things now that make it easier to find things though. Like the replied to component in the messages page.

More pluses than minuses IMO. Like I said though, just figuring out everything takes time. Just like with a new software.

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I am finding myself visiting less now, I like the site, but I am not too hot on the commercial side of things like the conspiracy chicks
, I do feel though that when disclosure full comes this site will be the first to know about it.

In regards to the new lay out, its a little too much, but I am just rolling with it and seeing where it goes. I agree with the saying if it aint broke don't fix it, but it appears that its an initiative drive to get new members in and I suppose those members will like the style as they won't know anything less.

Maybe we should withhold judgement until its completed you never know.

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Yeah, I know right.

I mean Windows XP sucks compared to 95, I'm never going to use it. Ever. I'll stick with 95.

I mean, it's all over the place and pretty but I know where everything is in 95. I don't need to upgrade...

/1999 attitude.

Ahh the more things change, the more they stay the same.

edit on 2/10/2010 by badw0lf because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Do you find that you come to ATS less after this last "upgrade"?

let me think....

[size=16]NO

I've been around for 5 years, and although there have been some upgrades I did not initially care for the first few days or weeks afterwards, I learned how to appreciate the changes more once I became accustomed and adapted to the changes. The current additions of the new layout and applications have not affected the time I spend on ATS, just temporarily re-assigned my attention to get re-acquanted with new environment.

Why complain about something that is "free",
ET

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   
As a programmer your work is never done and your never satisfied. Something always needs improvement. I personally love the new design and layout. I ask everyone to play with the new layout. I was use to the old layout. I was a little confused after the new layout was presented. I think its much easier to navigate this site now.

For now the only beef I have with it is the search bar is screwed up. Its wider than it should be. (ubuntu/firefox) and (android/browser)

edit on 10/2/2010 by madmangunradio because: typo

edit on 10/2/2010 by madmangunradio because: damn my typos

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Through the staged release there have been issues that have been reported ahve been addressed somewhat consistently, and I can assume those that weren't are because of coding issues or design features that weren't as workable.

All in all, i like what it is right now. Got rid of the garish green/blue. It looks good to me. I like the buttons and links. I can stand some more modification because I am overall easy to please. As long as i get a dark background i am good to go.

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Yes I find myself visiting less often because of the changes made to the site. After 3 years of the previous layout I am really turned off by the changes.

The site was so easy to navigate before the changes but now it is just a big cluster#$%&.

I loved how there was the column to the right with top topics, hot topics, and new topics and I liked being able to go to the forum home to see all of the up and coming threads on the left column.

Maybe I am over reacting but it seems like the new layout would be a nightmare for a new user to navigate...

I will probably get used to it but at the moment it turns me off...

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

I feel that way with Vista and 7.

I tried Vista and half my damn software will not work with it.

I think I will stay with my XP.

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Just wanted to add another "member name" to the thread (in case it would mean anything at all to the mods or site creators). I agree completely!! I even asked them if it was possible to change it back as soon as it was missing (mid surf)! No response, they simple closed that particular thread and redirected us posters to the questions thread lol!!

PLEASE bring back my up-down search layout!!!!!!!

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I'm suprised no moderators have jumped in yet to show support. I bet not a one would dare say they don't like it.

maybe another WITD-type hoax thread will drum up some site activity

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 08:34 PM
link   
To answer your query directly, I visit ATS exactly as often as I did before the changeover.

To address aspects of the changeover directly...

During this process I have had exactly three complaints. I voiced these complaints in the thread dedicated to the changeover at a time when I saw that Skeptic Overlord was actively engaging that thread.

All three complaints, one about the loud blue toolbar, one about a coding error, and one about the ads, were all literally fixed almost instantly by SO.

Yes, I do think that the new layout is designed to bring in new users - which seems to be a very controversial concept in and of itself - but the changes in no way have effected my experience here.

Well, getting to your own profile is a bit more complicated now - but meh, small hassle.

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Yeah, the new interface totally blows.
I don't come as often and when I do I hope to see the old interface. Nope.
I miss the column on the site with the breaking news, new topics etc.
The colors are lame, too. It doesn't have the conspiracy feel anymore, it feels like a kindergarten site with all these bright colors. And what happened to the flag contribution level? I was looking forward to filling mine up. Now all these numbers.

I just noticed these things on the side that you click on to see the topics. That sucks too!
Instead of nice little vertical column, now they fill the whole screen.
Besides, I don't want to click to look, I want to just look.
Please, reduce user workload.

edit on 2-10-2010 by tungus because: I don't need a reason.

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Electric Crown

i have had a moderator tell me that they didn't like it.

not since the tweaks have been done, but shortly before its release.

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   
I have tried to give this new layout a fair chance, but it just isn't the same. It's harder to find new threads, and I really miss the links down the right hand side of the page. The little tab that pops out is far to busy looking to be able to navigate it all. I have not been on ATS as much because I don't find the good threads anymore. I really hope they come out with an ats classic button, where you can choose if you want to view it the old way or the new way.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join