It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you find that you come to ATS less after this last "upgrade"?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Hello,

As always, not everyone has the same personal preferences but I am a firm believer in the motto that if it works (and worked great by the way) then don't mess with it.

I hate the display in recent posts, the former interface of a couple of months ago was nice, aligned (nice up-down columns), and pretty much perfect. All the top topics and newest posts aligned on the right side, it was great.

These latest interface upgrades are cluttered. Scanning down a nice organized page is gone (yes, I loved the columns, this "run on" is annoying).

Anyway, just asking, has anyone else found that they stay on ATS less because of the new "enhancements"?

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by infolurker
These latest interface upgrades are cluttered. Scanning down a nice organized page is gone (yes, I loved the columns, this "run on" is annoying).

Anyway, just asking, has anyone else found that they stay on ATS less because of the new "enhancements"?

Yes I completely agree, I used to come here two to three times a day and scan old and new posts, while I was doing other things, or maybe just for research, now on the other hand I find myself visiting every other day at best. I feel like I am missing a lot, but what can I do there is a long line of decisions made without consulting the masses (conspiracy chicks, as an example, where the vast majority of people I read disagreed with the event).

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   
YES YES YES AND MORE YES, I agree totally 100% ....

I've noticed that the breaking news isn't as updated often as it was before, the right side column is gone ....

I'm actually thinking about starting a whole new site, the change for the worse on this site is inspiring me to at least look into it.

Also its making me visit rense and godlikeproductions alot more......

These changes really do suck, everything is just simply all over the place and really messy

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Aziroth

Exactly, I used to log in, go immediately to "recent posts" and have a single "complete" presentation page.

The "title" column, the "forum topic" column, the different colored texts on the folders, etc.

Now it is a "pretty" cluster of chaos.

Last time I asked, my thread was BTS'ed so hopefully someone will see it this time. Anyway, I used to come multiple times a day, now I can barely stand to check out a few "highlights".

I feel that replacing the nice orderly view that existed with this is a "negative" enhancement actually lowers participation. Wish we could see some stats to find out if it is just us or are people using the site less (not individuals who came to the site but total sum of clicks or participation).

edit on 2-10-2010 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
And here I thought it was just me. I do agree and wish it would have been left alone. Hopefully they are still tweaking it. Perhaps we need a "suggestions" thread for this new layout.

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by savageheart

The column format from 2 months ago is necessary in my opinion. Hell, a check-box for "previous interface" would be great for me.

Is that possible or is the damage done?

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by infolurker

I am not sure about the reasons for the modifications except maybe to bring in new members. I have not noticed the frequency that new posts show up on the recent posts tab, however I do notice it seems rather stagnant. I figured it was because people were just posting less because of the changes in interface.

I am older and it is harder for me to navigate these complicated webpages, and I have noticed some of the older (in age) members on this website have been absent from a lot of the discussions. Or maybe it is because I cant find the discussions that the usual suspects are posting in, nor can I find the discussions that feel up to par as they did before this labyrinth was created.

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I like the interface, but the look is unattractive. There are still many annoying bugs, but I look the other way. I still come here just as often.

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Aziroth

The frequency of posts have to be down. I notice that now we have the same stale stories on the recent posts lists for days now. No more hanging out on the recent post page hitting refresh every few minutes (at least that is what I did... allot).

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I actually used to be signed in 24/7. now I find myself login out and tryin not to come so often. I dont really think it was the changes though... more like the lack of forward progress towards corraboration and problem solving. Its a popularity contest.

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Yes I want the old layout back. This new layout leaves much to be desired for me. I don't know what to call the look but it's almost too cartoonish? The colors are well you can all see them for yourselves so I am assuming you know what I am talking about. I was actually going to make a thread about this the other day. The side bar needs to be brought back at the very least.

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Myendica

Yes well that might be a product of the new direction ATS is going by recruiting people who are attracted to these new memes, there is a whole lot more arguing and bickering than discussion and problem solving. However thankfully these children usually get run off by the 10th page and if you pay attention long enough you might actually find something other than the inane.

I do indeed wonder what type of new requirements threads have to have to end up on the board pages, and in what order depending on what kind of interests.

Oh well it is like everything else, a civilization falls due to overpopulation, intensification, and then lack of governing direction, but the good news is someone else will start something better.

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by infolurker

I am guessing that the dark background causes more depression and subsequent resignation to the nwo. If you visit amkon you'll see that ats essentially copied the layout (at least in color theme) with one improvement: they made the words bright enough to actually read, whereas amkon has everything in the nearly invisible font that ats has allocated to the 'signature'. I was told that there's less eyestain with the blackground. I wish my eyes would listen.

Now it is like a huge black gap in between a few white paragraphs. Everything else must be highlighted, and the signature type script is impossible to read, nomatter what you do.

I am interested in starting my own site as well. I can no longer spend much time here, just as I have to pull over when a fierce snow storm causes tunnel vision.

It isn't like me to complain, as I have been under extreme duress from multiple gov assaults for my way of thinking. After this, small things are not important. I never ever visited complaint forums until now. I really do have better things to do than struggle with this.

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   

You are right. "Problem Solving" itself should be a category. At least I have not seen it if it is. I would love that and think it would be a great addition.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com...&mem=infolurker

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by starless and bible black

It is definitely more chaotic and difficult to navigate. I must admit, I really loved the columns and colored text along with the highlights on the right side of the recent post page.

This is the closest thing we have now: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   

The popularity contest has always been going on here. You don't notice it until you open your eyes to seeking approval of 'the world', basically. It is more apparent when you note that the 'ats points' are broadcast right under the poster's name. Previously one had to look at a persons profile, which is something I don't often do. Now I am given to understand that the foe feature necessitates a visit to member profiles. Just another brick in the wall. Best to keep a paper file anyway, because once you start foeing, you lose popularity. I star posts when the words are like something I would have said, regardless whether friend or foe. Initially I assumed that f/f info was private, not an open book.

Another thing is that I find myself clicking on threads authored by dingbats, because I can no longer see the author. I don't consider wasting my time to be high up on my priority list. Too many times I have read threads from clowns who are well known for writing poorly about lame topics. I just cannot see the names anymore. I have very good eyesight. I can only imagine how bad this must be for those who cannot see as good as I see.

ATS has a lot going for it. I look around at other sites and despite the eye friendly displays there, it typically degenerates in to mud slinging, due to the style of the mods there. I like to say what I say, for better or worse, but soon the whole net will be modded, not because tptb are able to suppress the truth, but because they are beginning to initiate roundups of those who think do wrongthink. The media is furious that tptb have not yet made the computer similar to the tv. Perhaps stripping away anonymity (which does not exist anyway) will initiate the changes we need once persons stand behind what they say with their real name? The problem is that any loose cannon w/o hacking skills can visit the property and slash tires etc, as I have seen many times even when 'anonymous'. I live only to unearth the truth. So, now I have no car. I am motivated to fix this even if I have to begin another site. It cannot be that difficult.

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Does anyone have a "screenshot" of the old "recent post page" that they could link?

I would love to have it for "archive" purposes in the event I ever do any kind of forum.

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Really sorry to have to post again. I simply cannot find an edit link.

Regarding the 'popularity contest' aspect...here's a thought: notice among certain *sages* here~that their avatar is perhaps intentionally set up with brilliant colors at the top, which is the first thing that catches the eye while scrolling, causing sycophants to cream and gush expectation of getting the 'answer' at last. Oh boy, he responded! I am so lucky he visited my replies!!! It is a game. Very likely the entire conspiracy thing is but one huge net for tptb. I think that avatars are great and all...I simply have a deep mind that visits on every aspect of the subject, and format is one of them. In the end, it is the meaning of it all that matters, the words, not the pretty pictures.

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Of course, if you ask your question in that frame of reference, you're going to get answers from people who don't like the new layout and those who DO like it will not respond for the most part. I don't know if you just want commiseration or what, but if you want an accurate response of the community, you may have had more luck if you asked: Do you come to ATS More, Less, or About the Same as before the upgrade?

I would guess that most people would answer "About the same". That's my answer, anyway.
I love the new layout and I don't visit a board based on the layout, anyway. I come for the content and fellowship.

This is almost sounding like it should go in Rant.

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I find myself visiting the site less now days. Simply because it seems that with the new changes it has brought a new crowd and complete nonsense threads. I mean some of the stuff is just ridiculous now days at ats. It really makes you wonder how some of these people even get by in life without people noticing there tin foil hat. Maybe they never get outside the confines of where there computer sits. I'm not saying that people don't have a right to an opinion. But where have our brains gone? Has critical thinking been thrown out the window? At any rate I liked the old layout it wasn't as all over the place.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join