It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are doctors' education corrupted/controlled by big pharma?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   
I have some questions.

Is the education that doctors receive influenced or controlled in any way by the pharmaceutical industry? If so, to what degree?

Who funds the medical schools that doctors go through? And how trustworthy and objective are they? How do we know they are free of greed, lies, and corruption? What's the proof?

Many assume (perhaps subconsciously) that the medical establishment, FDA, CDC, etc. are institutions that are uncorrupted and free of greed, lies or manipulation. They are assumed to be paragons of truth and objective science which hold consumer protection as the highest ideal, not profit. And of course, the mass followers assume that authority=truth because they are programmed that way and unable to think for themselves.

But how much actual truth is there to these assumptions?

There are claims that big pharma execs can work for the FDA and CDC, thus infiltrating them. Is that true? What's to prevent that from happening? What are the safeguards that keep the FDA and CDC free from corruption?

Here is a damning example:

Most doctors and MD's know nothing about natural remedies. For example, thousands claim that apple cider vinegar works very well in removing warts (do a google search and you'll find that people are unanimous about this). Yet most doctors don't know about this. Instead, they prefer to prescribe expensive medicines and drugs with nasty side effects. Why? If many natural home remedies work just as well, why don't doctors ever recommend them?

Isn't the most logical conclusion that the pharmaceutical companies can't make any money off of natural remedies, and so they do not educate doctors about them?

What's the truth about all this?

Also, didn't Mike Wallace prove long ago that the CDC execs can and do deliberately lie? In this report about the 1976 swine flu hysteria on "60 Minutes", Wallace caught the CDC director LYING red handed about a number of things.

www.youtube.com...

Doesn't that prove that the CDC is not the paragon of truth and integrity that we assume it is?

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 08:40 AM
link   
are they corrupted? most definately.
why else do they not know about natural remedies? would this not be beneficial?
sadly big pharma is ALL about money are they have lots of incriminative evidence against them.
ill give you a few examples, feel free too look it up if your a bit sceptical

lots of there vaccines (not just big pharma) are FULL of mercury (part of this new dumbing down campaign). What are the repurcussions? a 50% rise of autism cases in young children. whats even funnier is that alot of schools in the united states wont accept children unless they have been vaccinated.. there are many testimonals of parents whose children have been messed up by these drug cocktails lives affected by guardasil thats an interesting one

many drugs also have insane side effects your not even aware off! some anti depressants CAUSE suicide (isnt that what you get them to prevent..?)
read this
effects of drugs vigilant citizen

im sure uve heard about the vast amounts of infected vaccinations, there was one that was purposely tampered with by big pharma that caused infertility in mexico, look it up

one was also tampered with HIV. they found out in america so they shipped it off to the third world countries.

but yes back to topic, of course there information is tarnished! theres obviously some massive scale depopulation going on and medicine would be the way to go. its not just medical information thats being tampered with. its schools aswell, history is a dissapearing subject. how many stories do you hear on the news of patients being wrongly told of having one illness and having another? the peices are there. its just up to us to peice them together.

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   
I don't know who UNDER educated the doctors I've been dealing with for the past year or so. But whoever is responsible for turning out these arrogant IDIOTS needs to be spanked. Geeeze .. arrogant and don't listen to the patient because they think they are smarter and we don't know our own bodies like they do ...

And bad drug after bad drug .. (ANCOBON should be BANNED!!)

grrrr

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Also, in relation to the 1960 swine flu hysteria.
the main objective for them is to induce fear mongering so we take there vaccienes.
remember the last swine flu? how bad and absolutely pandemic it was? how the world was about to tip off its axis?
of course not. because that was not the case at all.
WHO was very eager to put us at level 6 "pandemic imminent". and vaccination campaigns went off.
funnily enough i work at a hospital and asked one of the nurses, he said whilst there was a few people it was nothing severe.
so did 40 million people get infected like they said? no.
just a few million took there cocktails. thats all

just like that vaccination years ago that infected people with some disease in australia (cant remember name) id hate to see if this has similar effects..

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   

I don't know who UNDER educated the doctors I've been dealing with for the past year or so. But whoever is responsible for turning out these arrogant IDIOTS needs to be spanked. Geeeze .. arrogant and don't listen to the patient because they think they are smarter and we don't know our own bodies like they do ...

i COMPLETELY agree with you!
i swear you can heal yourselves better than they can these days..
thats not to say there all hopeless but. although there is something dangerously wrong with the system.

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Every plant is a factory which makes a useful natural organic molecule that has a purpose. You did not think that plants, grasses, and trees are just to look at or for the benefit of foraging animals or humans?

Pharmaceutical companies cannot patent a naturally occurring cure because it violates patent law, therefore they must engineer synthetic drugs which are likely to yield the best promise of placating and treating symptoms of diseases and ailments instead of outright curing them.

With the advent of the information age, it won't take the people long to eventually educate themselves on organic chemistry and how to harvest natural plants to cure diseases, apart from the existing medical industry. It's as simple as someone discovering a cure and believing in it and the participants signing a waiver if they take a natural cure, so that those involved cannot be held liable as 'practicing medicine'.

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by ben91069

we did understand organic medicine, until modern medicine took it from us. haha
look at all the japanise and chinese culture with there organic medicines, no wonder they hold the records for living the longest.

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Are doctors' education corrupted/controlled by big pharma?

Of course it is. Furthermore, the corruption continues, when the drug representatives, who barge into the doctors' offices ahead of you, as you wait three hours for your appointment, bribe the doctors to prescribe their new useless, or harmful drugs to you.

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Beat me to it Prof. :]

And if they happen to sit there for a few minutes with each other, you'll hear them use the term "target" while referring to your doctor. I've confirmed this myself with my doctor. She says it's just something she has to live with, and changes the subject.

I would also call attention to the fact that fully half of a "Medical Doctor's" pre-med and continued schooling is memorizing specific pharmaceuticals, what their affects and side effect should be, and staying up to date on new pharma.

Indeed, and unfortunately, they don't practice human health, they practice "medicine" >.

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by WWu777
I have some questions.

Is the education that doctors receive influenced or controlled in any way by the pharmaceutical industry? If so, to what degree?

Not the education, necessarily. Pharmaceutical companies influence students more directly with financial aid, kick-backs and by providing simple things like stethoscopes, books and other school supplies. Pharma reps do this while reminding the students, "don't forget us....". The good thing is some of the top medical schools, such as Stanford, are cutting back on this influence. www.abovetopsecret.com...

Why? If many natural home remedies work just as well, why don't doctors ever recommend them?

Medical malpractice.

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Instead, they prefer to prescribe expensive medicines and drugs with nasty side effects.

Most general practicioners are so busy they don't have time to scan the journals, disect the studies and analyze the data on pharmaceutical trials, much less the time to review that exhaustingly immense mound of data on nutritional/natural remedies. Generally, they rely on studies provided by sales reps. Trials in which methods are specifically designed to produce desired results. Trials of which are funded by the the tested drug's manufacturer.

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

And bad drug after bad drug .. (ANCOBON should be BANNED!!)

grrrr

If they're "under educated" [which is, ironically, misspelled in your post] and "idiots"...why did you keep going back to them?

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by DevolutionEvolvd
[Not the education, necessarily. Pharmaceutical companies influence students more directly with financial aid, kick-backs and by providing simple things like stethoscopes, books and other school supplies.

Actually, they don't. That's illegal in every medical school. Most schools have a "no contact" policy between reps and students, some allow contact but no gifts. The articles referenced in your linked post are about banning DOCTORS at medical schools from receiving gifts, not students.

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by littlecloud
reply to post by ben91069

we did understand organic medicine, until modern medicine took it from us. haha
look at all the japanise and chinese culture with there organic medicines, no wonder they hold the records for living the longest.

The "japanise" [sic] and "chinese" don't hold the records for living the longest.

Here's a list of the current oldest people in the world. Note that only 3 out of 10 are Japanese (not "japanise") and the rest are from Western nations.

Oldest people link

Additionally, here is a list of the nations with the longest life spans. Note that, while Japan tops the list, it is separated from several Western European nations by a meagre 0.9 years, and that's only if you look at overall expectancy. If you look at just males, Japan actually fares worse than many Western nations.

Link

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Additionally, here is a list of the nations with the longest life spans. Note that, while Japan tops the list, it is separated from several Western European nations by a meagre 0.9 years, and that's only if you look at overall expectancy. If you look at just males, Japan actually fares worse than many Western nations.

Incase you didnt notice, the link you gave me just verified my point. Japanese ( yes not japinese, no need to get cocky.) males were off by about 1.2 years, isnt that a meagre number too?
and japan used to top the list, even if it dosent now its still up there. thats pretty much my point.

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by VneZonyDostupa

That's a big oops. Thanks for catching that.

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   
pharmaceutical companies are not the only ones corrupting doctors educations.

the insurance industry does as much or more to corrupt training.

most doctors are trained to perscribe antidepressant for fibromyalgia.
the problem is they only work for less then 25% of the people with fibro.

one new drug that is approved by the FDA and does work is lyrica (Pregabalin)
the problem is the insurance industry will not pay for it.

I got Lucky in that a older medication that lyrica was based on does work for fibro.
that med is Neurontin(gabapentin) but its not FDA approved for fibromyalgia.

I get Neurontin only because i also have peripheral neuropathy and restless leg syndrome that Neurontin is approved for.

The doctor was smart enough to put in my records that the Neurontin was for all three disorders.

The insurance companies will pay for the older generic Neurontin.

Gabapentin and Pregabalin are both GABA analogues.
www.pec.ha.osd.mil...

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Of course medical school education is affected by bigPharma. The dominate and control every aspect of what we sadly call medecine. Why would med school be an exception? Not just med school, but the whole medic environment - medical associations, hospitals, etc.

edit on 2-10-2010 by wcitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProfEmeritus

Of course it is. Furthermore, the corruption continues, when the drug representatives, who barge into the doctors' offices ahead of you, as you wait three hours for your appointment, bribe the doctors to prescribe their new useless, or harmful drugs to you.

LOL!! Ok Im gonna stop you right there. I work in a medical office and:

1. Pharm reps cannot even give us pens anymore

2. Even when they could give us "gifts" (which ammounted to pens and paper pads usually) I have never seen a doc perscribe a med he normally wouldnt have because of pressure from a pharm rep. there are drugs in the closet that just sit there until they expire because the docs think they are crappy. No bribery here.

3. Yes you might wait three hours but what you dont realize is that the reason for this is the hypochondriac in the next room that wont stop talking, or the emergency down the hall that we cant tell you about because of patient confidentiality. Some days our docs dont even get lunch and then they go on call for 24 hours to boot.
Furthermore, Im sure you dont expect the doc to rush through your vist, just eveyone elses right?

4. Yes we do get called on by parm reps but it is my duty as soon as they arrive to get them the signature they require and to trot their happy asses right out of there. That is all they get in our office, a smile and a thanks and get out. We think they are annoying as hell and we definately arent asking them for favors or allowing them to make patient care descisions.

edit on 2-10-2010 by kokoro because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Is no only doctors that are becoming the target of big pharma to be nothing but pill pushers, but now the new target are registered nurses, they are the latest casualties of the increasing power of this mega companies.

Patients are now nothing but lab rats and money pots, pharmaceutical drugs are starting to kill more people that any other natural causes of death in America from overdosing and side effects.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join