It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Idea to Fix Healthcare Costs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Well first of all I am posting this here because it is just a thought, I don't have links or figures to back it up.
Second in all fairness it is not my original thought, I heard it from a local talk show guy, but after much thought of my own I agree it could work.
Here it is.
If you currently have healthcare insurance, drop it immediattely.
Thought goes like this, a doctor, hospital, etc are in business to make money. No problem there. We go to the doctor/hospital/dentist, etc to get a service, medical treatment. We realize that these things cost money.
Now if you are like me, and most other insured Americans your insurance costs are deducted from you paycheck. I get paid weekly. Each week I pay $129 and change for my insurance. Call it 520 a month. This is for me and my family. In the context of this whole idea let's assume our employers are at the least matching this amount for a total premium for family coverage probably around a grand or more a month. Now that should cover about 4 doctors office visits a month. Way more than you should ever need if you are healthy. By a factor of at least ten. Put that money to work drawing a little intrest somewhere. Let your doctors office/hospital etc know you are willing to pay what your insurance company was paying them previously. You see they pay a tiny (little as ten percent) fraction to pharmacy, doctory, hospital, compared to what a quoted cash price is to us. If a vast majority of the public suddenly was no longer insured we would no longer be out of command of our own healthcare. You think you're not in control now wait until Obama's government plan kicks into full swing!
We seem to no longer be able to buy a major hospitalization plan. Thanks Government.
So if I have a heart attack, get cancer, etc and don't have insurance will that bankrupt me? Maybe, but I don't think so, you see the ER is required by law to treat you, ask any illegal immigrant.
So see if we all dropped our healthcare insurance, there by eliminating a profit making middle man, paid our doc's and dentists cash out of pocket, their prices would drop and they would still make money. Plus that would inspire competition.
And once hundreds of billions of insurance premiums were no longer being collected, and these mega insurance giants fell on their face, they could no longer buy off politicians to pass laws to require healthcare plans to cover wart removal or skint knees or stubbed toes. Think about that, the inurance giants needed the regulations imposed on them as a way to make them the all encompassing healthcare provider that sets the pricing, not the doctors, effectively making the doctors work for them, not the consumer of the product.
Insurance should be just that. You put insurance on your car for much less than your healthcare insurance costs. And that doesn't cover washing, waxing, tire wear, breakdowns, etc. It is there primarily to cover your behind if while in a moment of monumental idiocy you are texting while driving and plow into a van and kill soccer mom and her three little soccer players, or more likely on a more minor scale misjudge your stop on a wet road at a light and bash out the tailights of the new BMW in front of you. Now you are covered. You are insured. That liability policy just kept your no drivin butt out of bankruptcy.
That is what medical insurance is for. To take care of that million dollar heart surgery, etc. Like the home or auto insurance it's not an investment, it's an unfortunate expense one should incur to prevent insolvency if the worst did occur. Like a pistol in your pocket you hope and pray you never need it.
If we all, in great and sufficient numbers walked into work, went to HR and said enough, no more healthcare deductions, I believe it would happen.
We could again buy the insurance our fathers, and maybe grandfathers could buy. We could finall tell our ignorant corrupt leaders to stay the hell out of our business, we'll negotiate our own coverage, out of pocket, not employer provided (another benifit, it we all did it in large numbers, no way our employer could refuse a significant pay increase as we just saved them a ton of money, further offsetting doctors costs!).

Ok ATS'rs...you are all a hell of smart bunch....what do ya think, is this a great conspiracy idea for the common man to put a bunch of billionaire insurance boys to a different line of theft..er work?

edit on 10/1/2010 by texas thinker because: to add text.

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
That's a great idea but it will never work. It makes too much sense. I would love to be there when the insurance companies realize that automatic money has stopped rolling in. Count me in!

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
You forgot one other small factor that drove up healthcare costs in the u.s ... Malpractice insurance that doctors carry due to all the idiots who file frivolous lawsuits in the u.s ..

new topics

join