It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Othman on UFOs and ET *Audio*

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Ross 54

Actually, it wasn't Othman who said she would be speaking about near Earth objects. It was a spokesman for UNOOSA.

Instead, she will use the conference to discuss the problems posed by "space debris mitigation, near-Earth objects (asteroids) and the coordination mechanism for the use of space technology in the United Nations system," Gaziyev said

www.foxnews.com...

This could be another communication breakdown based on her prior speech, or not. It remains to be seen.

Trying to sort through all the nonsense (and taking into account the panel debate agenda for the conference), it's reasonable to believe that the discussion will be about what role the UN could or should play in the event an ETI signal is received. Or not.

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Given what we know of the extraordinary adaptive powers of life on this planet, and the fact that civilization has been extended over most of it, in a wide variety of conditions and climates, I think the prospects for Gliese 581 g are promising. The cold, sun-opposite extreme of the planet could have outposts like our Antarctica. The hottest zone could be like the Sahara desert, with oases. There would be one torrid zone and one temperate zone, instead of two, as on Earth, as one moved farther and farther from the point direct beneath the star's glare. Planet 'g' is reckoned to have several times the mass of Earth. The likelihood of it having a fairly dense atmosphere is therefore good. Heat driven circulation in such an atmosphere might well even out the extremes of temperature enough to prevent the atmosphere boiling off into space one one side and freezing out as ice on the other. The heated air at the sub-solar point would naturally rise and expand, probably carrying it radially away to the rest of the planet. As it cooled, it would fall toward the surface, and contract, reaching its limits at the point on the planet directly opposite the star. It would then presumably be pushed by the warm air behind it, eventually returning to the hot side of the planet to be heated again. Basic convection cells, such as exist in any body of gasses, where heat is applied to a limited area. Since the planet only rotates once per 'year', the motion of the convection cells would probably be more stable and regular than on Earth, where they are modified by the Earth's rotation. This could make for very stable weather patterns, There are potential problems of course, but planet 'g' being in the middle of its habitable zone should help make these less likely. If a planet is this system is likely to go into a runaway greenhouse effect, and end up like Venus, I would expect it to be the next one inward toward the star, on the hot inner margins of the habitable zone. The likelihood of this happening has been discussed in scientific circles. Ross

edit on 2-10-2010 by Ross 54 because: corrected spelling.

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Phage; I seem to recall that Dr. Othman also asserted that NEOs would be the subject of her talk, when she she replied to an email from a journalist, who was inquiring about the ET ambassador story. If memory serves, this was mentioned in the Guardian newspaper (UK). In any case, the UN spokesman seems to have had this information. I guess we'll know, one way or the other, in a few days. Ross

edit on 2-10-2010 by Ross 54 because: added salutation

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
This could be another communication breakdown based on her prior speech, or not. It remains to be seen.

Now really... don't you see the irony in that? Were talking 'ambassador' to aliens, and they can't even communicate between themselves?

Man are we EVER in trouble

And this message that was #1 in the list of sent ones..

1) Hello Gliese 581d inhabitant. Can you help us humans travel through space and become smart like you. Please do not eat us we are a friendly race.
Angus Pigott
Canberra, Australia

www.hellofromearth.net...

Seriously... I hope the inhabitants of the Gliese system have a sense of humor or did we just invite them for lunch

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Unless they speak English they won't get the joke.
But they might recognize the signal as a sign of extragliesian intelligence.

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Well even if they did translate English, assuming that they do understand binary code, I have found that humor rarely comes through in the translation from one country to another

errr how exactly do you translate binary code to English?

I remember good old Carl Sagan's message that showed white blond people were the inhabitants of Earth and only the male has sex organs

I think the real reason any intelligent species steers clear of Earth is that not only are we cosmic litterbugs, but we are a planet of clowns

Ambassador to Mercury

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4d7b761de1f7.jpg[/atsimg]

Love that picture

edit on 2-10-2010 by zorgon because: No way am I filling this out

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

But in reverse.

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   

But in reverse.

That gives me 7985713057585060530 or 6ED2F3B73B8E5AB2

Still not sure what that is in English
But since decimals don't translate perfectly to binary, I hope they didn't send them directions, because that margin of error might put them into the sun

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Just in the interest of being thorough, I looked up the article I remembered seeing at the Guardian newspaper's website, quoting an email response from Dr. Mazlan Othman. She had been asked if she was to be appointed 'first contact' for extraterrestrials. She answered: 'It sounds really cool, but I have to deny it.' The article immediately went on to say that she would be attending a conference next week, but she'll he talking about how the world deals with near-Earth objects. This article provokes a couple of thoughts. First, it seems to indicate that she confirmed to the Guardian that the topic of her talk at the Royal Society conference on Extraterrestrial Life would be near-Earth objects. So, I will let my original question stand: What could she conceivably add to this topic, that she did not already cover in her talk at the previous Royal Society ET Life conference in January? Was this, in fact, a quickly improvised dodge, based on the subject of her *previous* talk at the Royal Society? Second, 'Having to deny' something does not necessarily mean that it isn't so, or will not soon be so. I seem to recall instances where people have been privately told of honors or appointments they have received or will soon receive, but are cautioned not to speak of this until after a formal announcement from the bestowing body. A reporter's attempt to be glibly humorous may have hit pretty close to the mark and inadvertently put Dr. Othman and the UN in an embarrassing position. Ross

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
And this message that was #1 in the list of sent ones..

1) Hello Gliese 581d inhabitant. Can you help us humans travel through space and become smart like you. Please do not eat us we are a friendly race.
Angus Pigott
Canberra, Australia

www.hellofromearth.net...

Seriously... I hope the inhabitants of the Gliese system have a sense of humor or did we just invite them for lunch

What worries ME the most is how untruthful we are! I mean seriously how can anyone with a straight face say we are a "friendly" race? Clearly Angus from Australia is deeply unobservant and knows nothing at all about humanity and has never seen a history book.
Should we not at least send a TRUTHFUL message?
Like...

Dear aliens
Please come over here and meet with the powerful leaders of our planet and give them some of your technology. Preferably weapons and stuff that they can oppress the masses with. In exchange for this they will sell you our very bodies and souls. And then they will try to work out how we can get cleverer than you and more powerful than you so that we can attack you, take over your planet, colonise it and oppress you too. Hope to see you soon.
Signed, The Earth People.

Seriously, folks, if you want to know why no advanced civilisation has made contact with us then it isn't because they aren't advanced enough to get here... it's because they are advanced enough to see what is here.

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Ross 54

There is no direct quote from Othman on what she will be speaking about at the next conference. There is a direct quote from a spokesman from UNOOSA, but not Othman. I think it is quite likely, though not certain, that she will speak further on UNOOSA and discussion about the possibility of receiving an ETI signal. In any case, with all the publicity about it, will we know one way or the other next week.

Why do you think the Guardian got it right this time when they screwed it up the first time? Haven't you leaned something from that?

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   

What worries ME the most is how untruthful we are! I mean seriously how can anyone with a straight face say we are a "friendly" race? Clearly Angus from Australia is deeply unobservant and knows nothing at all about humanity and has never seen a history book.
Should we not at least send a TRUTHFUL message?
Like...

Dear aliens
Please come over here and meet with the powerful leaders of our planet and give them some of your technology. Preferably weapons and stuff that they can oppress the masses with. In exchange for this they will sell you our very bodies and souls. And then they will try to work out how we can get cleverer than you and more powerful than you so that we can attack you, take over your planet, colonise it and oppress you too. Hope to see you soon.
Signed, The Earth People.

Seriously, folks, if you want to know why no advanced civilisation has made contact with us then it isn't because they aren't advanced enough to get here... it's because they are advanced enough to see what is here.

Good point, and this is why disclosure will never happen. What intelligent alien race would ever want us to know all about them? Specially when we just use and abuse them, or just try to kill them.

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Phage; I don't believe it was the Guardian that got something (possibly) wrong the first time. The Guardian article was critiquing a Times of London article which made, or repeated, the allegation about Dr. Othman as first contact for ETs. I'm not inclined to mistrust the Guardian for something that happened at the Times, or other publications. If skepticism about journalistic accounts in general is being recommended, I already apply that to the extent I deem appropriate. I would rather be mistaken from time to time, and correct my information later, than rule out something worth knowing at the outset. Interesting, isn't it, that Dr. Othman's host at the January conference told a story about how a journalist, some two centuries ago, prodded the Royal Society to study meteorites and finally win scientific acceptance for that 'ridiculous' idea about rocks falling from the sky. Despite what seem to be some expectations to the contrary, I'm far from certain that Dr. Othman will say anything remarkable at the conference, tomorrow, or Tuesday. I don't rule it out, though. We may hear little of note from her for some time. Perhaps not until or unless she is called upon to fulfill the office about which the rumors have flown. Ross

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ross 54
First, it seems to indicate that she confirmed to the Guardian that the topic of her talk at the Royal Society conference on Extraterrestrial Life would be near-Earth objects. So, I will let my original question stand: What could she conceivably add to this topic, that she did not already cover in her talk at the previous Royal Society ET Life conference in January?

I'm guessing she didn't cover the topic of "near-Earth objects" completely, so conceivably there are many things she could add in another talk.

Is it conceivable that she could cover the entire topic in one presentation?

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I checked the website of the Royal Society. No audio of today's session of the Extraterrestrial life conference yet available. It appears that it may be available, eventually. Audio recordings of meeting are filed under 'Events' on the main page, subheading-- royalsociety.tv . Ross

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 03:44 AM
link   
all it said was they were to appoint, that they have not yet

posted on Mar, 21 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

But in reverse.

That gives me 7985713057585060530 or 6ED2F3B73B8E5AB2

Still not sure what that is in English
But since decimals don't translate perfectly to binary, I hope they didn't send them directions, because that margin of error might put them into the sun

It looks like you did a conversion from Base2 to Base16 lol im not exactly sure what the binary means either lol Im just hoping its not the abbacab code then id feel really dumb

posted on May, 9 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Text Navy

Well even if they did translate English, assuming that they do understand binary code, I have found that humor rarely comes through in the translation from one country to another

I remember good old Carl Sagan's message that showed white blond people were the inhabitants of Earth and only the male has sex organs

I think the real reason any intelligent species steers clear of Earth is that not only are we cosmic litterbugs, but we are a planet of clowns

Ambassador to Mercury

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4d7b761de1f7.jpg[/atsimg]

Love that picture

edit on 2-10-2010 by zorgon because: No way am I filling this out

Oh *snip* Zorg, I'm LMAO!

One of these days I'll fly into Nellis and say hi.
edit on 9-5-2011 by Violater1 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join