It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Heirloom vegetable seeds

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   
If you want to grow a garden due to the worsening economy or for your bug-out place in case of a shtf situation, you can get non-hybrid seeds here. I've never ordered seeds online and don't know what the company is like to deal with. I just saw it on a search. I hope it helps someone.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Skid Mark

Hey Skids thanks for the heads up! I'm in the UK unfortunately but I will take a Geoffrey at the site and find the UK equivalent.

I have thousands of seeds already but a few lots 'expire' in 2012. Just a coincidence BTW

I had fully intended to grow them in the back garden until I moved into a flat.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I hope it works for you. That's a funny coincidence about the expiration date on those seeds.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Skid Mark

I have ordered seeds from them and they are
a good company to work with.I also bought
seeds from this company,Trade Wind Fruits.
Besides have fruit seeds,they have medicinal
seeds as well.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   
This is a wonderful place for open-pollinated, heirloom seeds, especially old varietals and world wide offerings of vegetables and fruits... they have the best tomato selection I have ever seen. Their catalog is wonderful.

rareseeds.com...

Good Luck~

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Here is a list of open pollenated or heirloom seeds:

St. Clare Seeds

We sell a large variety of heirloom and open-pollinated garden vegetable seeds for gardeners to enjoy planting in their garden.

Eon Seed

OPEN-POLLINATED, HEIRLOOM, ORGANIC AND HYBRID SEEDS FOR VEGETABLES, TOBACCO seeds, MEDICINAL and HEALING PLANTS and HERB seeds, VINE seeds, TROPICAL and HOUSEPLANT seeds, ORGANIC GARDENING SUPPLIES, PEST CONTROL, HERBS AND PURE PLANT EXTRACTS,

Rare Seeds

We offer 1400 heirloom varieties. We only offer open-pollinated seeds: pure, natural & non-GMO! Started in 1998 by Jere Gettle, as a means to preserve heirloom seeds.

Heriloom Seeds

The best source for heirloom vegetable, flower and herb seeds.

Sustainable Seed Co.

Sustainable Seed Company offers the finest quality open-pollinated and heirloom vegetable, herb, grain, flower and cover-crop seed for sale anywhere!

Seed Kits:

Victory Seeds

All of our rare and heirloom seeds are open-pollinated, non-hybrid and are not treated with chemicals.

Survival Seed Bank

New Survival Seed Bank Lets You Plant A Full Acre Crisis Garden!

Aaoob Foods

Vegetable Patch Non-Hybrid Garden Kits, Packed for Long Term Storage in cans, buckets and pails with an air-tight seal.

Y2K Chaos

We have 700 Non Hybrid, Open Polinated seed kits left. When these are gone, we will not have any more before the First of the year.

Costco

23 Jumbo Seed Packets Produces 1 Acre Garden 5 Year Shelf Life

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

Thanks for the info. The medicinal seeds sound interesting.

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by SeenMyShare

Wow. Lots and lots of seeds lol. Looks like a good variety.

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I have a fair share of heirloom seeds in a 'seed bank'.
I bought a ton of seeds for gardening in the next few years and they are vacuum sealed and frozen.

Growing you own food that can reproduce year after year is especially satisfying.
The best thing you can do to store seeds for long term is vacuum pack and freeze.
There can't be any moisture or air in the pack, though.
You can kill the seeds by not doing it right.

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by havok

Just wondering is it possible if I freeze mine now they will last longer than the 'Best Before' date? Because I plan on living past 2012.

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Big Raging Loner

They should last a lot longer than best before date anyway. Just keep them in a cold dry place and they'll last years and years. I've often bought packets of seeds off ebay that are out of date. You can sometimes get about 25 packets for the price you'd pay for one in the shops. I'm still planting some every year and they're still growing, and all the packets have been opened. I just roll them closed when I've taken some seeds out.

I've even planted thick potato peelings and they grow too.

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by wigit

Cheers Wigit! They are all sealed up and stored away in a cool dry place. So hopefully they should last past the media induced hysteria of the Use By date.

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Don't forget seedrack.com... which has a lot of unusual seeds (like "toothache plant", etc.).

Another place I've found that has lots of cool stuff in addition to their wild-crafted seeds is:
www.mountainroseherbs.com...
They have an extensive list of wild plants and "weeds" that are used medicinally and not easily
found on other seed sites.

join