It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Origins of 13 Weird Superstitions

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

12. Lucky Four-Leaf Clovers

I found a four leaf clover when I was a child, we used to look for them all the time, that is what happens when you have time on your hands.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   

That is funny but not so funny to have to replace keyboards.

I had a cat once that use to jump in my lap and pee when my cousin came over. He talked loud and would turn up the TV or music, that didn't sit too well with Miss Bitty. Cats do have a sixth sense and I have learned to take q's from them.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 09:03 PM
link   
6. Don't Open an Umbrella in The House

I recall reading somewhere (though darned if I remember where) that when umbrellas were first introduced, they were primarily novelties of the upper class and by an inexperienced act of opening the umbrella in the house there was a greater chance of knocking over and breaking a valuable heirloom or vase.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by GENERAL EYES

I think you may be right, sounds familiar and logical, when I come in out of the rain and my umbrella is all wet I shake just outside the door and open it inside to dry, if not it could get mildew or something. On a little side note I never have an embrella with me when I need one, I end up bringing them all in the house or leaving them in the car, now what do you suppose that means.

Thanks for posting.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by gallopinghordes

Originally posted by Aquarius1

3. Never Light Three Cigarettes With the Same Match

Actually I believe that one comes from WW 2 because at night snipers could sight in on the three lighting up.

3. Never Light Three Cigarettes With the Same Match: This superstition originated in military circles and dates back to those long nights in the trenches during World War I. "If three soldiers smoked at once, enemy snipers would easily detect them," says Oliver. "If they used the same match to light all three cigarettes, snipers would notice the match burning after the first one and would have enough time to load guns, aim and fire at the unlucky third smoker."

LINK

Actually you were very close, it came from World War l not World War ll, sure they were advised not to do it in World War ll.

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   

10. Don't Praise Babies in China

This one is very strange, if you praise a baby in China it attracks demons and ghosts. So you should say bad things so it keeps the evils spirits away, go figure, so much for positive thinking, guess we have it all wrong.

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Here is another one:

If you light a cigarette on a candle, a seaman dies...

Once i made a joke about it. I had no fire and a candle burning. Then one of my friends did this spell...
I answered cool:
" I am at war with US imperialism. Actually i am working on an aircraft carrier!"
It was just fun... but few days (and alot of cigs and blunts) later i saw news. The US was dumping down a discarded aircraft carrier to make a artificial reef for divers!
Wow! I was a bit stunned...
After this my friend was there again and we where joking about this stuff. Later i did it again and told him that i will now work on a new project. A submarine. And guess what short later there was the one russian sub drowning in the northsea! WTF?
Ha...

edit on 3-10-2010 by JimIrie because: spelling

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by JimIrie

Great story "I think", just goes to show you we had better pay attention to these superstitions. Stay safe on your carrier and bless you and everyone else aboard, you are always in my thoughts.

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Ha, yeah! I was even thinking about not to write this in here...
Maybe, now i get a visit from some special agents the next days

NO, really i went beyond this coincidents very early... Have a look into my thread series if you want it, too...
(Down in my sig
)

Peace, love and light,
let u guide by higher i

Jim

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by JimIrie

NO, really i went beyond this coincidents very early... Have a look into my thread series if you want it, too...

I will take a look at your Spiritual Revolution threads, will take me a while to read through them.

Thank you for posting.

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   

As Stevie likes to say..."When you believe in things you don't understand you suffer"

For the most part the world does, in more ways than one. We are an incredibly supersitious people and often act according to those superstitions.

I think all of us are guilty to one extent or another, but the truth is, that there is little to no real evidence from god to stepping on a crack and breaking your mothers back have any merrit or truth behind them at all.

Yet we suffer on just the same.

Which leads me to my "I dream speech" stolen from me by Martin Luther King after I had composed it in my crib between strained peas and fisher price donuts, scribbled on my first etch a sketch...

ahem, it goes like this, Four score and seven years ago...

oops wrong speech! That will be seven years of bad luck!

Drats,

Great thread, thanks for posting it Aquarius1!

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

You are most welcome Proto, a fun thread. It goes to show you how gullible we all are at times, knowing these things aren't true but embracing them nonetheless. We learned most of these superstitions as children and some things are hard to give up.

Thanks for posting.

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aquarius1
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

You are most welcome Proto, a fun thread. It goes to show you how gullible we all are at times, knowing these things aren't true but embracing them nonetheless. We learned most of these superstitions as children and some things are hard to give up.

Thanks for posting.

It's funny how we often find a real modicum of sadistic pleasure in frightening our children in turn, as we once were as children by our own parents with these stories. So much of what we do in life is force of habit it would seem.

Surperstition plays big in that.

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I suppose you all know the magpie one......

One for sorrow.
Two for joy.
Three for a girl,
and four for a boy.
Five for silver.
Six for gold.
Seven for a secret never to br told.

This has affected me quite a lot in the past.
For instance, I was walking home from my friend's house one day, and I kept seeing single magpies along the way.
When I got home, I discovered my Grandfather had passed away.
If I see one whilst in the car, I can pretty much guarantee some idiot will do something stupid shortly after.

There is also the one where it's considered bad luck to place new shoes on a table.

In the UK, a black cat crossing one's path is considered to be lucky, but a white one the opposite.

Then there's the rhyme........

Find a penny,
pick it up,
and through the day,
you'll have good luck.
Give the penny to a friend,
and then your luck will never end.

I think beliefs we adopt as significant, acquire a significance for us, and serve as personal omens.

edit on 13-10-2010 by Illegal Alien because: terrabull sbelyng

edit on 13-10-2010 by Illegal Alien because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Illegal Alien

Sorry to hear about your grandfather, may he rest in peace.

I have not heard the rhime about the magpie but know the other one..

Thanks for posting.

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Thanks for the kind words.

My Grandad sent me a message via a medium that he is OK, so I'll go with that.

Superstitions are a funny thing aren't they?
I think we may have an instinct that they are rooted in a truth from our distant past, and some of us prefer to err on the side of caution.

Interesting stuff nonetheless.
Nursery rhymes also have that eerie quality about them.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join