It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moore Film Not Showing Here?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Just today, I saw a preveiw of Fahrenheit 911 on FoxNewsChannel, I was somewhat suprised because typically FNC is generally pretty conservative, and I would not think that the ad would have appealed to it's viewers. But anyway, it did look interesting so I checked for local showtimes around my area(yeah, you are right, the ad obviously DID work...).

Upon searching though, I found that there was NO theatre anywhere around my area that was playing his film on its opening date of June 25, tomorrow. It would appear that the owners of the theatres are trying to take restricting people from seeing this movie into their own hands. I would think that this movie could prove very profitable for them, but I guess that isn't the point.

For some reason, this makes me want to see the film even more... Apparently the cencorship is backfiring, because I have heard of many people who are saying the same. Several of these people are pretty hardcore Republicans that support the Bush admin and everything they have done so far, but want to see what Moore has to say. With both the Left as well as the Right wanting to see this film, I forsee it breaking some records...

I am by no means a fan of Michael Moore and his liberal agendas, but should that mean that I am not ALLOWED to see his film??

Has anybody else noticed this in other areas?

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I'm sure that they will have it released on video rental before November for a one, two punch. I'll just see it then.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Don't think that because your local theaters aren't showing the film that its part of some kind of censorship or conspiracy to block the film. It's in limited distribution, I heard only to like 500 theaters across the country. So chances that it is being shown in your area (if you're not in a high population area or something) is kinda slim.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Faisca
Don't think that because your local theaters aren't showing the film that its part of some kind of censorship or conspiracy to block the film. It's in limited distribution, I heard only to like 500 theaters across the country. So chances that it is being shown in your area (if you're not in a high population area or something) is kinda slim.

Don't be too sure about that...

quote:
Michael Moore may be prevented from advertising his controversial new movie, �Fahrenheit 9/11,� on television or radio after July 30 if the Federal Election Commission (FEC) today accepts the legal advice of its general counsel.

taken from discussion here : www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 03:30 PM
link   
elevatedone, I wasn't talking about advertisement. I was talking about distribution of the film. It's a documentary, documentaries don't get the distribution that other films do. Perhaps as time goes on more theaters will show the movie because they see that it makes money, but opening distribution is going to be limited purely because it's a documentary, not because of any political agenda.

If you can provide something that says "so and so theaters (emphasis on the plural) refuse to show Fahrenheit 9/11" then my mind will be changed. But as of now, I really don't think it's because of censorship or political agenda.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I misunderstood you Fascia, sorry about that...

I can't wait to see the movie, I'm also going to start paying attention for advertising on this...

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I didn't realize that it was in limited distribution, but in all honesty, I think it will either be re-released, or fully distributed if it will be as successful as it is looking to be. If there's more money to be made, I'm sure they will find a way to make it!

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 04:55 PM
link   
I believe I heard that it's being released in September in some theaters. So if you don't get to see it now, you might be able to see it later this year.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 07:11 PM
link   
this isnt some conspiracy or someone stopping you from the seeing the film. fact is, the theater itself can choose whether or not they want to play the movie. besides, you can always wait until it comes out on DVD/VHS.

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 02:12 AM
link   
I think it is limited release right now, but if the film does well this weekend, then you can bet it will open up in a lot more theaters in the near future. Movie theaters aren't trying to stop you from seeing it. They want to make money. Documentaries are typically low draw films. But, if it looks like the movie will make money then more theaters will add it.

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 02:18 AM
link   
I am pretty sure the commercials here said that it was being released in select theatres on June 23 and then nationwide July 2. This is Canada and perhaps a similar thing is happening in your hometown where it will simply be released a little later.

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Ahhh...I stand corrected. It was originally supposed to be released on July 2 but was pushed ahead to June 25th.

"Sehring said "Fahrenheit 9/11" was originally going to be released on July 2 to 500 theaters, but that the company decided to push the date ahead. The number of theaters that will screen the film on June 25 has yet to be determined."

www.mtv.com...

But like someone else already said it was only going to be released to 500 theatres originally. And since they pushed up the release date there is a good chance it is at less theatres then that. So it may still make it to your theatres.

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Actually I live in a rural area and the towns near me and notice I said towns not cities and its showing at my local theater until 7/1

posted on Jun, 27 2004 @ 10:10 AM
link   
It's not showing in my county , I did notice it was showing in the city, however it;s over an hour drive to get there, I read in todays paper that it made 8.5 million on it's opening day which isn't bad for documentary. I read about it in the NewYorker, and I really would like to see it, guess I'll have to waaait till the video.

top topics

join