It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Feds radiating Americans'? Mobile X-ray vans hit US streets

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4e4adb811921.jpg[/atsimg]

As an antiterror measure, the US government has deployed mobile X-ray technology to randomly scan cars and trucks. But the measure is riling privacy proponents.

and

For many living in a terror-spooked country, it might seem like a great government innovation: Use vans equipped with mobile X-ray units to scan vehicles at major sporting events, or even randomly, for bombs or contraband.

This is absolutely and completely ridiculous in every way! I am not ok with being "microwaved" in the name of safety from terrorists! That stuff doesn't fly! You have a better shot of being hit by lightning than ever running across a terrorist. Where are all the anti-lightning measures?

Of course we know they don't exist because this technology has nothing to do with terrorists and everything to do with the government spying on the supposed free citizens of this country. What a joke.

I think it's passed time for us to do something about this. Whatever we have to actually. I wish we had the protests they have had recently in Europe here over this kind of garbage.

Anyway, that's my opinion. I wanted evryone else here to see this and to go ahead and voice their own opinion as well. But the main thing for me, is to make others aware of what's happening since you won't likely see this on the evening news.

LINK

edit on 1-10-2010 by Redwookieaz because: Trying to get pic on the page to work

edit on 1-10-2010 by Redwookieaz because: pic added

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Constitution, what constitution. That pesky piece of parchment under glass in the Smithsonian. Is that the constitution you speak of?

So much for reasonable suspicion and due process. It has now totally vanished.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Thanks for posting. Yeah this does seem at the very least to be completely against the spirit of what America and freedom is! How long can you trample on true freedom using asinine reasoning before people scream "ENOUGH"!

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
ve vill viend vou, ve vill take vou! Ve vill ZIG BUSH!!!!, 9/11 did one thing that no other thing/act could , that is take your freedom and impose the "PATRIOT ACT" see what we have done from out fear, we have no one to blame but our selves for giving in to power that can not be controlled, no mater how we in the USA vote in the power is still there, and for those that do not now SS speak, the first is we will find you, we will take you we will HALE BUSH!!!! just my take on this, i would want them in use to stop a threat, not create one.

edit on 1-10-2010 by bekod because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
If you work in the radiological field you should always wear your exposure badge. When the feds put you over the limit they will owe you a lifetime of income, as you will not be permited to work with x rays after exceeding the FEDERAL limit.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Wow, really?...
Sigh..
Thanks for this topic! Will be sharing this with everyone..

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
And it still is going to come over the border, smh... Microwaves I think some one prefers their human medium rare smh again. Good thread OP S/F.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Thanks for the posts all. I think the best thing we can do to try to put a stop to this kind of stuff is to get the news out there that it's happening. Of course we won't hear about it from the main stream media so it's up to us. I feel that things like this add up. And eventually, Americans will have had enough and we can then put a stop to this!

I do wonder though, I am completely against this in every way but are there members that feel it's a good thing out there? I wonder why anybody would put up with this huge loss of privacy and freedom in the name of safety?

It is after all an illusion. These measures won't stop anyone from attacking if they want to. And like I mentioned in the OP, you DO have a better chance of being hit by lighting than ever seeing a terrorist. With that in mind how is this acceptable to anyone?

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Anyone else? Let's here some opinions on this. I really want to hear opinions on this. I just don't think these anti-terror measures are worth the loss of privacy. I don't think they help at all. Plus I think the danger of a terror attack is completely overstated.

Not to mention the health effects this could have...

So opinions?

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   
1. The photo provided is shopped. Absolutely bogus. Creative, but done by someone who has no idea how x-rays actually work.

Just off the top...

A. The rubber tire is showing brighter in the image than the steel innards of the truck. This would not happen in an x-ray image.

B. The boxes in the truck would all have to be made of lead in order to show that brightly in comparison with the steel (which... again... barely shows at all.)

C. The (glass) windshield is very bright compared to the rest of the (steel) truck. Glowing even. An x-ray image won't do that either, but a photo negative will. Hmmmm...

2. Now if this image was real (which I most emphatically will reiterate that it is not), there are some other problems.

A. The power requirements necessary to generate that kind of an x-ray would be enormous. You would have to miss the 'inconspicuous' semi truck with the blacked out windows.

B. Also, acquiring an x-ray goes; Source-Subject-Film (Image Receptor). Therefor, this truck had to have been sitting in front of an image receptor larger than the truck itself, with nothing else in between. This would not be inconspicuous.

C. Nor would the people in the lead suits (necessary in order to take this x-ray without melting their internal organs).

D. This (among other things) is what it would take to x-ray through an entire vehicle. Any vehicle. Even a smart car.

Not practical, barely possible, and certainly of no value in any covert 'spying' operation.

Long story short..

HOAX!!!

Now, because I mentioned melting internal organs and I don't want to contribute to the no x-ray panic the OP is attempting to incite (inadvertent or no) I would like to explain something;

X-rays see through things by penetrating an object, then hitting a receptor that registers whats left in the form of a shadow. The more dense an object the brighter it shows up on the x-ray image. The more distance it has to travel the more energy it needs to get there. Steel is so much more dense than any part of the human body, there is alot more of that truck than a human, and the picture was taken from far enough away (add in a few more factors, apparent and boring), and the ultimate conclusion is that this picture would take about a million times more radiation than any human would ever get medically.

On another note... X-rays are NOT microwaves! Stop scaring people by talking nonsense about that which you know nothing.

Edit: Also... It would be 'Irradiate' not 'radiate'. Good grief.

edit on 1-10-2010 by redhorse because: edited for added content

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by redhorse

Wow. First off you have a bitter nasty tone that I don't really care for. Second, why exactly are you an xray expert may I ask? Third this technology is completely possible as it is similar to the technology already deployed in the full body scanners at the airports which in theory at least aren't over-irradiating anyone.

Your response to me seems like a hate filled joke, Now the question is why? Are you just the kind of person who gets off on playing like you know everything or can you qualify any of what you said?

Also this story is everywhere if you look it up. Oh and there is even a press release available from the company that developed the technology so yeah the only hoax is your anger filled but fact free post.

Look it up, it's called backscatter x-ray guy.

edit on 1-10-2010 by Redwookieaz because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   
And those boxes you metion aren't boxes. They are bags filled with coc aine stashed into the plastic interior pieces of the truck.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Redwookieaz

Wow. First off you have a bitter nasty tone that I don't really care for. Second, why exactly are you an xray expert may I ask? Third this technology is completely possible as it is similar to the technology already deployed in the full body scanners at the airports which in theory at least aren't over-irradiating anyone.

Your response to me seems like a hate filled joke, Now the question is why? Are you just the kind of person who gets off on playing like you know everything or can you qualify any of what you said?

I am tired of watching people frightened of utilizing a diagnostic tool because of talk just like this. That is why.

You can call it a hate filled joke if you want, but I don't think it's very funny when people refuse an x-ray because they are too frightened to use the tools available to diagnose a problem so they can get well. If you want to bring attention to something fine, but don't scare people about x-rays in general. You are blowing things out of proportion in a way that is irresponsible and panic laden.

Body scanners at airports use backscatter body scanners and millimeter wave tech, extremely low dose, low distance fixed systems with a bunch of equipment that you walk through. Those x-rays don't even penetrate the skin. They can see what's in your pockets, and that's pretty much it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of them. I think it is an invasion of privacy, prone to abuse, and tap dancing around safety regulations. Having said that however, this technology that you reference in airports is unlikely to be used in the capacity that you are describing. If they want to see what you carry on your person you would notice someone pointing a piece of equipment that large at you, or you would have to walk very, very close to the equipment. They would see what is in your pockets, and that is all they would see and the actual dose of radiation would be negligible. Not that justifies it mind you. If this is happening, it is still an invasion of privacy, and infringeing on personal choice. Big IF though.

In terms of x-raying vehicles; there are still the problems of distance and overall mass and density. Those things still apply even if you don't want them to. If they want to see into your vehicle, they will need something they have to carry in a truck. A big one. If they can do it at all.

www.travelblog.org...

Now to clarify... That is a BUILDING the vehicle must drive through to be x-rayed. They do not drive around in vehicles and x-ray other vehicles. Period. This does not happen.

You're fear mongering and it is irresponsible.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Ok... explain the following then:

American Science and Engineering

and their recent 'news' about money received for contracts:

Remote IED Detection

Regarding the ZBV Military Trailer:

About ZBV Military Trailer AS&E's ZBV Mil Trailer is a rugged X-ray screening system built onto a standard military trailer. With one-sided, Z BackscatterTM imaging, security officials can use the ZBV Mil Trailer for screening vehicles, containers, and other cargo for terrorist threats and contraband -- simply by towing the trailer past the subjects, or by remaining stationary while vehicles drive past the trailer. The ZBV Mil Trailer employs AS&E's Z Backscatter technology, which produces photo-like images of the contents of a container or vehicle, highlighting organic materials such as explosives and other high-risk materials.

Here's the contract for the trailers:

ZBV Military Trailers

Not enough? Okay...

AS&E Introduces ZBV Military Trailers 2007

AS&E's X-ray detection tech grabs $19M

Scanner Vans Allow Drive-By Snooping

And finally here are some gems from a Forbes Blog

But EPIC’s Rotenberg says that the scans, like those in the airport, potentially violate the fourth amendment. “Without a warrant, the government doesn’t have a right to peer beneath your clothes without probable cause,” he says. Even airport scans are typically used only as a secondary security measure, he points out. “If the scans can only be used in exceptional cases in airports, the idea that they can be used routinely on city streets is a very hard argument to make.”

Reiss adds that the vans do have the capability of storing images. “Sometimes customers need to save images for evidentiary reasons,” he says. “We do what our customers need.”

Make no mistake, this sort of technology is dangerous in the hands of the government. There's been a lot of controversy regarding the airport full body scanners and pictures being stored (!) when they said they wouldn't.

I'm sorry, but I think the technology is very real.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   

And those boxes you metion aren't boxes. They are bags filled with coc aine stashed into the plastic interior pieces of the truck.

Actually they're heroin.
www.as-e.com...

Perhaps if you linked to the AS&E home page instead of to a Christian Science site which doesn't know the difference between radiating and irradiating, and cut out the silly reference to microwaves, people might take your OP more seriously.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Your right, ... this story IS everywhere ..... including ATS.

So before you get all outraged, .... look it up on Search.

They cannot use these on the streets, thats illegal.

don't give in to the paranoia, .... this IS a hoax.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by IntastellaBurst

I was waiting for someone like you to come along and spout that BS. Yeah it's illegal for them to use it. Sure. Where does it say that first? Also, that would be changed even if it was the case and lastly they already do all kinds of illegal stuff every day! Like the patriot act gave them permission to do all kinds of illegal stuff JUST LIKE THIS!

So, your face is a HOAX! lol..

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   

So, your face is a HOAX! lol..

is this how adults act?
is this how adults debate?

meh i' m going elsewhere

edit on 1-10-2010 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

It's a joke dude. Get over your pompous 'tude....

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Also, I'm really done with debunkers and hoaxer folks. The truth is that it is real easy to come onto a thread and spout some stuff that sounds real clever but has zero substance. And then instead of having a real chat about the subject at hand, you spend the rest of the thread trying to ward off ridiculous statements and total baloney.

I am done with that. No matter what I say, or what someone else says to the contrary in this thread or any thread by anyone, the truth is out there. Read it if you are interested then go and find all the information presented from both sides and make your own decision on the truth!

There are far too many people that see a statement made by someone else and take it as truth. Be it the main stream media, an OP here, or a debunker here. They all have their own agenda.

People stop being pawns. Educate yourself on this and all subjects from all you can find then pass on your truth to all you can. Again everyone wants the same thing in the end, to be free.

I just get tired of people who get some kind of weird kick out of playing the negative to any post even without any real evidence. Just because they are tired of hearing "this" or "that". Every subject is different.
The one thing that rarely changes is the arguments of debunkers.

edit on 1-10-2010 by Redwookieaz because: Edit 4 S&G

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join