It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Taliban pulled from 'Medal of Honor' multiplayer mode

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Taliban pulled from 'Medal of Honor' multiplayer mode

Video game publisher Electronic Arts is pulling a controversial feature that would have let players join the Taliban from Medal of Honor, one of the most anticipated releases of the year.

Well it isn't like MP gamers are not familiar with playing Terrorist or Counter Terrorists. [Counter Strike] anybody? So why the big stink and removal?

As originally planned, players in virtual battle online could team up in squads, one side of insurgents designated as the Taliban, with U.S. troops as their target. After rising criticism — including a sales ban in Army and Air Force exchange outlets — EA decided to change the game.

To be sensitive to families and friends of fallen soldiers, the game will be changed so that the "Opposing Force" or "OpFor" — not "Taliban" — will be in the multiplayer mode, says the game's executive producer Greg Goodrich. "Medal of Honor is a big thank-you letter to the troops, and if this one word caused some troops to not be able to receive that ... let's change it and hopefully people will get that."

Medal of Honor games have been popular ever since the original in which you could play Nazi Germans or later releases Imperial Japanese, "Vietnamese" etc. The MOH series are popular among many veterans as well as civilians. This seems odd. MOH was originally released as a Semi-accurate historically fact based game.

I understand the reasoning behind the decision but still....

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Hahaha... trying to be all PC...

you do know just like they did in San Andreas game, they will just lock out that feature than later leak the cheat to access it... just to stir controversy and sales... oldest trick in the book... good for the old bottom line too.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

I was waiting to see who would come up with that.

First post right off the bat. MODDING anyone?

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Are you kidding me? Well i guess i should stop being Iran in civilization revolution too.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by gandhi

They will disable the feature where you are able to build nuclear power, if you choose to be Iran in Civilisation or it will come at a penalty of having your nation nuked

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Naw... MODDING is for script-kiddies...
I use a emulator in my Falcon Northwest Mach V.... nothing I cant unlock with that baby

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   
How can they change it now? Retail release is in 2 weeks. All of the publishing should heve been done for a while now.

Nevermind that it's completely assinine to relabel one of the teams (call it differently abled but you're still cripple) but unless they wait until the last minute to publish the act doesn't seem logistically possible.

Was there a massive delay in release or something?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

PC vs Console eh?
I like creating my own custom characters, skins, maps and sound files etc.
When I play CS/MoH etc it sounds like all hell is breaking loose in 5.1 Surround sound. THX baby!

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
This is so lame and predictable. There's so many mods out there that add ridiculous content for our favourite games. I mean, almost anything goes. Of course it's not official content so no one cares.

It's just another idiotic rule. It's just a game after all. Oh well. I'm not surprised.

That said, I don't actually play the MW/MoH games anyway. So I could care less.

One thing regarding, say, being able to play the Wehrmacht side in the old WW2 shooters. I don't see anything particularly evil about it. It's not like you actually play Nazis. I guess by extension, but it bothers me that any German forces from WW2 automatically get put in the same boat as the head leadership. The soldiers were capable of heroism just like any other country's forces. Just a little pet peeve I suppose.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
How can they change it now? Retail release is in 2 weeks. All of the publishing should heve been done for a while now.

Nevermind that it's completely assinine to relabel one of the teams (call it differently abled but you're still cripple) but unless they wait until the last minute to publish the act doesn't seem logistically possible.

Was there a massive delay in release or something?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

It probably just amounts to changing a few lines of code, and what "was" the Taliban is now the OpFors" - same weapons, bodies, clothes and all, just a new label. It wouldn't require massive re-tooling of the entire program.

I never really got into gaming - the mechanics of pushing buttons was way to alien to me in relation to the mechanics of actually toting and using a rifle, so it just never "took" with me after a couple of attempts.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
What the Heck!?!?

How are the Taliban any more offensive then the Nazis?
I'm confused about what the thought process was that got them to this decision, It's not like there's no one left alive that hasn't had relatives killed by Nazis or the "Viet Cong" or by American or British soldiers come to that so how is it less or more offensive?

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   
And it's still banned from ALL Bx/Px I'm stationed in England and kind of pissed I have to wait over a week to get a copy of this game that is NTSC compatible with my xbox

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   
also this is how it happened (atleast it's what my commander told us)

A widow of a soldier that died in Afghanistan saw the previews and her son was playing the BETA for the game and she took offense to it and told her First Shirt about it, then he told the commander, then the commander of whatever sector of the globe they were in found out, and it made it all the way up our chain of command.... And then the ban hammer got dropped "out of respect to us" I was so pissed that it got banned, it's a damn video game after all. I have been to Afghanistan plenty of times and I do not find it offensive just because the enemy has the title "Taliban and Insurgents". I also played the BETA version of the game and personally loved it. The weapons looked accurate and the game handled well.

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   
I find it more controversial that in Modern Warfare 2 you could gun down civilians and police officers in an airport massacre but when facing a virtual representation of a legitimate enemy online the PC brigade go nuts.

Says something about society..

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 01:21 AM
link   
As a future game designer i find it sad that EA Games chickened out due to politically corrections, i was looking forward to something based on real events, even though if the war was started by the us government.

But ask yourselves this why there aren't outcry's over The Taliban, iraq war in some tv series movies? I really wanted to know why they always pick on video games rather picking on films.

So its fine killing and naming them Nazis and Japanese but isn't fine by killing or naming them Taliban?

If you ask me about this
1. This was nothing more then censorship on a popular video game started by the British which they claim it features the british but it doesn't feature at all.

2.Its a known fact CBC,BBC CNN, FOX News channels ratings are down what better way of gaining viewers by creating controversy?

edit on 3-10-2010 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 02:54 AM
link   
The main reason is because it's still on going and I can kinda see why they took it out. But at the same time it's just a damn game. The US Military banned it so that we don't become brainwashed by the game and start killing our own soldiers... I bet that is what some of the higher ups think LOL.

top topics

join