It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

X-Ray Vans Hit US Streets

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Atlanta – For many living in a terror-spooked country, it might seem like a great government innovation: Use vans equipped with mobile X-ray units to scan vehicles at major sporting events, or even randomly, for bombs or contraband.

But news that the US is buying custom-made vans packed with something called backscatter X-ray capacity has riled privacy advocates and sparked internet worries about "feds radiating Americans."

"This really trips up the creep factor because it's one of those things that you sort of intrinsically think the government shouldn't be doing," says Vermont-based privacy expert Frederick Lane, author of "American Privacy." "But, legally, the issue is the boundary between the government's legitimate security interest and privacy expectations we enjoy in our cars."

Source

If everyone had a fit with the airport security ordeal, try dealing with this one. The purpose is to detect bombed vehicles at major events but who says this won't be abused and really used to spy on many citizens?

Interesting times ahead for us...

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Saw this today, on another "news source." Second headline should read, " Cancer rates going up!" In all seriousness, another attack on constitutional liberties, but hey, they're keeping us safe? Right?!? When, and if nano tech becomes more of a reality, what's stopping them from putting tracking devices into simple and safe vaccines? I know the U.SofA is not.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Oh yes, I definantly trust my government with x-ray equipped vans.....Not.

I wonder how many complaints will come out of this. Using that x-ray on my car, on my house.....great. As if we dont have enough survellience in this country already. Itll only be a matter of time until most police cars are equipped with this, then we will be x-ray rated all the time.

Hide ya kids, hide ya wife, cuz they x-rayin everybody out here!

edit on 1-10-2010 by buni11687 because: missed a few words

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Interesting! If any of you US guys and girls can see one of these take a few photos!!!

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by buni11687
Oh yes, I definantly trust my government with x-ray equipped vans.....Not.

I wonder how many complaints will come out of this. Using that x-ray on my car, on my house.....great. As if we dont have enough survellience in this country already. Itll only be a matter of time until most police cars are equipped with this, then we will be x-ray rated all the time.

Hide ya kids, hide ya wife, cuz they x-rayin everybody out here!

edit on 1-10-2010 by buni11687 because: missed a few words

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...hide ya kids hide ya wife

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
It's a gross invasion by the state that is supposed to serve and protecte you.
You are sitting there with your faminly, watching a movie, or worse doing it with your woman, and they are sitting outside looking in at you.. LOL..

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   
And after this goes over so well with everyone - they will xray our homes and the people that live in them. And of course they will have some lame excuse such as looking for drugs houses or some such thing. Big Brother coming to your neigborhood soon!!!

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

I think that's my biggest fear. And you know what's truly sad? Many will be ok with it and accept the obscene idea, just like they're ok with the Patriot Act.

All the government needs is an excuse to allow these things that destroy our rights and privacy.

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by SeventhSeal

Funny, when you go to the doctor for x-ray's you usually shield important body parts so as not expose them to unnecessary radiation.. Now because of the nonsensical FEAR of terrorism the "government" will be exposing random people to unnecessary radiation!! probably much stronger that @ the doctor's office as it needs to see through plastic / steel not just human flesh!

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   
time to research an affordable sensory gadget that can warn when you are being radiated.

new topics

top topics

join