It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UN: Afghan poppy crop down by 48%

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I was limited in my time with that last reply or I would have gone into more detail.

Quote from : Wikipedia : Golden Crescent

The Golden Crescent is the name given to one of Asia's two principal areas of illicit opium production, located at the crossroads of Central, South, and Western Asia.

This space overlaps three nations, Afghanistan, Iran, and Pakistan, whose mountainous peripheries define the crescent, though only Afghanistan and Pakistan produce opium, with Iran being a consumer and trans-shipment route for the smuggled opiates.

Pretty much anything having to do with drug production that Asia and Columbia are not doing happens there.

The Afghanistan War, the Mujahideen and the Golden Crescent

Between the Golden Crescent and Golden Triangle the majority of drugs flow out of Europe and Asia.

They make their ways to other countries of course but a vast majority flows right into America.

Through Customs Smuggling Operations with cigar boats to Border Security and tunnels.

Quote from : Wikipedia : Golden Triangle

The Golden Triangle is one of Asia's two main illicit opium-producing areas.

It is an area of around 367,000 square miles (950,000 km2) that overlaps the mountains of four countries of Southeast Asia:

Myanmar (Burma), Vietnam, Laos, and Thailand. Along with Afghanistan in the Golden Crescent and Pakistan, it has been one of the most extensive opium-producing areas of Asia and of the world since the 1920s.

Most of the world's heroin came from the Golden Triangle until the early 21st century when Afghanistan became the world's largest producer.

The Golden Triangle also designates the confluence of the Ruak River and the Mekong river, since the term has been appropriated by the Thai tourist industry to describe the nearby junction of Thailand, Laos, and Myanmar.

There is more drugs flowing out of there but the black market value is expanded and maximized because of the "alleged" War on Drugs.

Lord of the Golden Triangle Part 1

Lord of the Golden Triangle Part 2

Lord of the Golden Triangle Part 3

Lord of the Golden Triangle Part 4

Lord of the Golden Triangle Part 5

Lord of the Golden Triangle Part 6

Now, I say "alleged" when referencing the "War on Drugs", because of the double-endemnity actions going on between these regions, the warlords and druglords, and our own Central Intelligence Agency, where they value information over cessation of drug flow into America, literally meaning this international and foreign policy directive agency is not only looking the other way when drugs, crime, and or mass murders happen, but through this they are literally not only making the Drug Enforcement Administration's job that much harder, through happenstance, funding, and seizure laws it makes the D.E.A. either look like an amateur operation, or an accomplice through negligence.

The three books below paint a very different picture than our tax money doled out tells us.

Inside the D.E.A.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1e4d877b53dd.jpg[/atsimg]

Amazon Review :

A crime novel of intrigue, deceit and treachery.

This true story follows the twenty five year career of a Drug Enforcement Administration Special Agent from rookie on the streets of New York City to senior manager of DEA's money laundering undercover operations on three continents.

His story parallels his professional life with the growth of coc aine use in the United States and the proliferation of its trade into a multi-billion international industry.

Whether it be the Mafia, La Costra Nostra, the Colombian Cartels, Mexican Syndicates or the Russian Mob, Tom Clifford's undercover shell corporations and financial storefront businesses penetrated into the inner financial world of the Drug Kingpins.

By establishing undercover store fronts in different cities in the United States, Canada and Europe, the undercover operations were the largest enterprises established by the United States government to counteract the money laundering activities of organized crime.

Clifford proves that the globalization of crime is here and the cooperation between different national crime organizations forebodes a dark vision for our social, economic and political systems.

The book contains lessons and strategies from the failed War on Drugs that need to be modernized for our present War on Terror.

Essentially the State Department stymies the D.E.A. from being involved in "international affairs".

Unless the line is clearly delineated from pot dealer on the street to drug lord then up the chain.

So either this action is done to keep international affairs less troubling or to act as a buffer.

The Underground Empire: Where Crime and Governments Embrace

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/38066e743191.jpg[/atsimg]

Quote from : The Underground Empire - Where Crime and Governments Embrace : Excerpt

[Page 3:] The inhabitants of the earth spend more money on illegal drugs than they spend on food. More than they spend on housing, clothes, education, medical care, or any other product or service.

The international narcotics industry is the largest growth industry in the world. Its annual revenues exceed half a trillion dollars -- three times the value of all United States currency in circulation, more than the gross national products of all but a half dozen of the major industrialized nations.

To imagine the immensity of such wealth consider this:

A million dollars in gold would weigh as much as a large man.

A half-trillion dollars would weigh more than the entire population of Washington, D.C.

Narcotics industry profits, secretly stockpiled in countries competing for the business, draw interest exceeding $3 million per hour.

To what use will this money eventually be put?

What will be its ultimate effect?

Though everyone knows narcotics is big business, its truly staggering dimensions have never been fully publicized.

The statistics on which the above statements are based appear in classified documents prepared with the participation of the Central Intelligence Agency and the National Security Agency.

These studies are circulated in numbered copies with warnings of "criminal sanctions" for unauthorized disclosure.

Why is this information withheld from public view?

The international narcotics industry is, in fact, not an industry at all, but an empire.

Sovereign, proud, expansionist, this Underground Empire, though frequently torn by internal struggle, never fails to present a solid front to the world at large.

It has become today as ruthlessly acquisitive and exploitative as any nineteenth-century imperial kingdom, as far-reaching as the British Empire, as determinedly cohesive as the states of the American republic.

Aggressive and violent by nature, the Underground Empire maintains its own armies, diplomats, intelligence services, banks, merchant fleets, and air lines.

It seeks to extend its dominance by any means, from clandestine subversion to open warfare.

Legitimate nations combat its agents within their own borders, but effectively ignore its power internationally.

The United States government, while launching cosmetic "wars" on drugs and crime, has rarely attacked the Empire abroad, has never substantially diminished its international power, and does not today seriously challenge its growing threat to world stability.

Why is this so?

Do the world's governments not want to eliminate this expanding source of criminal wealth and power?

Has there in fact never been an attempt to mount a truly effective global assault against it?

Has there never existed -- does there not exist today -- some hidden, unpublicized, international force struggling against the Underground Empire?

The above book describes an organization, called Centac, short for Central Tactical Unit, which no longer exists.

You might wonder if they wasted money, were crooked, or were running schemes.

Of course you would be dead wrong.

Centac was efficiently, effectively, and cut-throat shutting down entire drug empires.

The F.B.I., D.E.A., and C.I.A. hamstrung them.

Why?

Simple.

Petty, jealous, spiteful turf and funding wars between inter-agency organizations.

Ones specifically aligned to protect American interests.

The Politics of Heroin: CIA Complicity in the Global Drug Trade

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f637ffde04a4.jpg[/atsimg]

Publishers Weekly : Amazon Review :

Nearly 20 years ago, McCoy wrote The Politics of Heroin in Southeast Asia , which stirred up considerable controversy, alleging that the CIA was intimately involved in the Vietnamese opium trade.

In the current volume, a substantially updated and longer work, he argues that pk the situation basically hasn't changed over the past two decades; however the numbers have gotten bigger.

McCoy writes, "Although the drug pandemic of the 1980s had complex causes, the growth in global heroin supply could be traced in large part to two key aspects of U.S. policy: the failure of the DEA's interdiction efforts and the CIA's covert operations."

He readily admits that the CIA's role in the heroin trade was an "inadvertent" byproduct of "its cold war tactics," but he limns convincingly the path by which the agency and its forebears helped Corsican and Sicilian mobsters reestablish the heroin trade after WW II and, most recently, "transformed southern Asia from a self-contained opium zone into a major supplier of heroin."

Scrupulously documented, almost numbingly so at times, this is a valuable corrective to the misinformation being peddled by anti-drug zealots on both sides of the aisle.

First serial to the Progressive.

Copyright 1991 Reed Business Information, Inc.

The question America citizens should be asking is why are the three areas still operating?

The Golden Crescent, Golden Triangle, and Columbia are well know locations.

We hear about them every single day in the news.

Yet nothing ever happens.

The latest example of this being shown in a fiction movie?

Rambo.

John Rambo Trailer

Myanmar, what was once Burma, threatened to killl Sylvester Stallone, if he used the current name.

Myanmar.

He used the name Burma instead.

Still, it appears Sylvester Stallone, has more balls than the C.I.A. in showing the horrors of Myanmar.

These are still happening today.

Sheepdogs vs. Wolves : Law Enforcement, Predators and Prey, and Love or Hate Cops...

edit on 9/30/10 by SpartanKingLeonidas because: Adding Depth To The Post.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   
That should be applauded, well done.

I'll watch the videos tonight before I hit the sack

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Very Interesting

What a tangled web...from June 28, 2010
The Opium Problem in Afghanistan and Russia at the End of the 20th Century

Najibullah’s Kabul regime fell in 1992. Its defeat was a logical outcome of the termination of Russia’s material and technical support as US funding of the mujahedeen continued virtually unchanged even after Soviet forces withdrew. Unfortunately a new regime could not bring stability to the country: the commanders of the anti-Soviet troops that took Kabul were unprepared for the job of governing the country, nor were they willing to cooperate with each other.

orientalreview.org...

U.S.-led operations in Afghanistan will be “in vain” if forces fail to fight opium production and provide people with alternative economic opportunities, Russian Deputy Prime Minister Sergei Ivanov said today.

NATO forces must figure out how to start “very primitive social economic life in Afghanistan,” Ivanov said today at the IISS Shangri-La Dialogue in Singapore, which brought together defense officials from 28 countries. “If we don’t do that, any military presence will be in vein.”
www.businessweek.com...

And this one is interesting as well.

The global proceeds of the Afghan drug trade is in excess of 150 billion dollars a year. There is mounting evidence that this illicit trade is protected by the US military.

Historically, starting in the early 1980s, the Afghan drug trade was used to finance CIA covert support of the Islamic brigades. The 2003 war on Afghanistan was launched following the Taliban government's 2000-2001 drug eradication program which led to a collapse in opium production in excess of 90 percent.

www.globalresearch.ca...

Makes me wonder. It seems much of the terrorist regime is funded by the drug trade ...

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 12:52 AM
link   
CIA fly opium out of Afghanistan on USAF cargo planes!

US Soldiers In Afghanistan Protect Poppies Quote: "Back to the CIA and drugs: tribes like to make money and if local governments are suppressing drugs, the CIA says, 'We will PROTECT you while you make illegal drugs. Don't worry.' And so it goes. In Afghanistan, the Taliban had crushed the opium growers. The minute the fires stopped at the WTC, the CIA had all the agents already in place on the edges of Afghanistan hard at work with the drug dealing war lords who were harassing the Taliban. We immediately brought in more money [they were always funded by the CIA] and fire power. Then our government refused to look for bin Laden who is a CIA tool in the first place, and they instead, attacked the innocent Taliban who had no idea about the planning or nature of the 9/11 attacks."

Karzai's brother on CIA payroll

US involvement in Afghanistan has come into new question with the claim that President Hamid Karzai's brother has for years been on the payroll of the CIA – even though he is suspected of being a major figure in the illicit opium trade that Washington and its allies are pledged to do everything to stamp out. The allegations against Ahmed Wali Karzai, set out yesterday in The New York Times and attributed to current and former US officials, paint a picture of a shadowy potentate and powerbroker with a finger in every pie, whose fief is the south of the country, heartland of the Taliban insurgency.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Here what I said couple of weeks ago Slayer:

How much heroin do you think they have stockpiled? I'm guessing they want the money from their failed war back, hence stockpiling drugs, then later completely destroying poppy fields, and contaminating the ground, so that it can't grow back, and then selling their own drugs which will hopefully add to trillion dollars, depending on how much they have stock piled.

Soldiers smuggle Afghan heroin

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by oozyism

Here what I said couple of weeks ago Slayer:

How much heroin do you think they have stockpiled? I'm guessing they want the money from their failed war back, hence stockpiling drugs, then later completely destroying poppy fields, and contaminating the ground, so that it can't grow back, and then selling their own drugs which will hopefully add to trillion dollars, depending on how much they have stock piled.

Soldiers smuggle Afghan heroin

This is exactly what I said. It is about price manipulation.

The US is not going to poison crops that they make money off of. The US is run by the CIA. If it is impacting their crops, it is for a reason. It is how we pay for all the little lovelies that we build at the labs that you don't even know exist.

edit on 1-10-2010 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

I read that ooz, What everybody keeps glossing over however is the Regions LOOONG history of opium production an the Even longer history of corruption and smuggling way before the CIA got involved. I still find it amazing that many will ignore the fact that the vast majority of opium production in the past 7 or 8 years [While it skyrocketed] was in Taliban controlled territory.

The argument that the US was "Protecting" the crops is a misconception. While the US considered eradication by conventional means both the US and Afghan governments thought it best with a hands off approach creating a rather tangled mess I'll admit.

edit on 1-10-2010 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
You know whats funny?

I can't find it now but I posted an article in a thread back in Feb or March on this very topic. A fungus that was attacking the poppies. It was from an obscure source so it wasn't taken very seriously at the time now months later it has shown to be true.

I thought it was the CIA destroying the crops with a engineered fungus. The timing was just too perfect. we had just went into Helmand province in force for the first time and he US was then getting a lot of heat over the explosion of heroin production in Afghanistan.

That kinda reminds me of U99, thou I do not think it is engineered,
but its story kinda reads that way and the Apocalyptic aspect too.

www.suite101.com...

Supposedly there is hope via some experimentation, but it makes me wonder if
that means all the wheat is about to go GMO as well.

www.cfact.org...

I guess we will see how it turns out, but I'd warn ppl to try to go totally
organic as it has been proven to reverse diabetes in as little as 30 days.

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

This is exactly what I said. It is about price manipulation.

The US is not going to poison crops that they make money off of. The US is run by the CIA. If it is impacting their crops, it is for a reason. It is how we pay for all the little lovelies that we build at the labs that you don't even know exist.

edit on 1-10-2010 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

To fix the price through a negative connotation in accordance with the law only assists in increasing the black market value, as well as the funding in allegedly shutting down drug lords through Law Enforcement practices, and creates a psychodrama which makes society the fall guy through corrupt practices because if you do not rid yourselves of the source of your woes you are doing nothing but let it continue, replicate, and continue on forever without a real goal of solving the problem.

Quote from : Wikipedia : Psychodrama

Psychodrama is a method of psychotherapy in which clients are encouraged to continue and complete their actions through dramatization, role playing and dramatic self-presentation.

Both verbal and non-verbal communications are utilized.

A number of scenes are enacted, depicting, for example memories of specific happenings in the past, unfinished situations, inner dramas, fantasies, dreams, preparations for future risk-taking situations, or unrehearsed expressions of mental states in the here and now.

These scenes either approximate real-life situations or are externalizations of inner mental processes. If required, other roles may be taken by group members or by inanimate objects.

It is mostly used as a group work method, in which each person in the group can become a therapeutic agent for each other in the group.

Developed by Jacob L. Moreno, psychodrama has strong elements of theater, often conducted on a stage where props can be used.

The audience is fully involved with the dramatic action.

Audience involvement is either through personal interest in the concerns of the leading actor, called the protagonist; or through playing some roles of the drama which helps the protagonist; or taking the form of some of the other elements of the drama, which can give voice to the rest of our wild universe; or through active engagement as an audience member.

Psychodrama's core function is the raising of spontaneity in an adequate and functional manner.

It is through the raising of spontaneity that a system, whether an internal human system or an organizational system, can begin to become creative, life filled and develop new solutions to old and tired problems or adequate solutions to new situations and concerns.

A psychodrama is best conducted and produced by a person trained in the method or learning the method called a psychodrama director.

Psychodrama training institutes exist in many countries around the world.

In warfare a soldier literally through combat has to work towards putting himself out of a job.

By this I mean that the goal is to eventually have peace, prosperity, and a promise of never having to worry about the barbarians at the gate, a reference to Ghengis Khan and the Romans, if the Romans had handled Khan properly, he would never have gotten as widespread a kingdom as he did and his assassination would never have been needed because he would have been negated.

Personally, I see what Ghengis Khan did as tremendous, terrorism completely, but tremendous.

Recently I had someone suggest that a group of people had wanted me to react like Ghengis Khan.

Meaning let greed, lust for power, and evil actions lead the way through me.

I had to laugh.

I think Ghengis Khan was an idiot.

Intelligent, sure, decisive, yes, tactical, yes, but over all an idiot.

It was his drive for power and lust for control which lead him to his victories.

To lead you have to be willing to not only win but willing to lose everything in the cause of leading great people.

I bring Khan up because to become a ruthless warlord in drugs one has to be like him.

That someone expected me to react or even think like him is ludicrous.

I've never admired Khan, studied him, sure, but never admired him.

I think of all the warlords Ghengis Khan ranks the lowest on my totem pole of how I want to be.

No, I do not want to be a warlord, although I could be if I so chose to do so.

I seek an empire and it will not have drugs, death, or evil and vile actions at the center of it.

I know the Art of War inside out and upside down but I have turned it into the Art of Peace.

Thinking simultaneouly in the Western and Eastern mind I understand completely people who drive for the sort of power I see as stupid, power of warlords like Ghengis Khan, Pablo Escobar, or even a man mentioned below Alberto Sicilia Falcon as they are manipulators, control freaks, and dictators, people who are easily controlled by their own selfish lusts for power.

A Tangled Web: A History of CIA Complicity in Drug International Trafficking

edit on 10/2/10 by SpartanKingLeonidas because: Adding Depth To The Post.

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by SpartanKingLeonidas

my views are considerably more libertarian than that. I think that drugs should be up to the user. if the individual decides to use drugs, they use drugs. None of my business.

But i don't think we should be fighting wars to secure drug crops for black projects, while the "white projects" are fighting against drugs and imprisoning Americans. That tramples their liberties.

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Exactly, who's going to contradict tham?

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Karzai Brother: Drug Lord, CIA Darling?

"I personally have been shown Western intelligence reports that would appear to indicate that he is indeed deeply involved in drugs," said Gretchen Peters, the author of a book on the Afghan drug trade. "He is the one that will make sure the customs and border police don't search the trucks that are full of drugs."

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   
When there is this kind of money from drugs everyone has their hands out the good, the bad and the ugly again all wanting part of the action. These are figures that we are told about we will never know the real figure in how many billions are generated and whose pockets are lined from poppy derived drug sells. Look on the map look where Iran is located to the West is Turkey and Iraq and to the south Kuwait and to the East Of Iran is Afghanistan. Can you say strategic positioning by the U.S. ^Y^

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
reply to post by SpartanKingLeonidas

my views are considerably more libertarian than that. I think that drugs should be up to the user. if the individual decides to use drugs, they use drugs. None of my business.

But i don't think we should be fighting wars to secure drug crops for black projects, while the "white projects" are fighting against drugs and imprisoning Americans. That tramples their liberties.

I can see your point.

I disagree with the conflict between foreign and domestic policy.

Domestic policy tells us the D.E.A. is supposed to stop drugs and crime due to drugs on American soil.

Foreign policy tells us the C.I.A. is supposed to protect our interest through intelligence gathering, raising funds, spreading our empire to the "greater good" of American "democracy", yet we are not a democracy, but a Constitutional Republic.

Let me ask you this bigfatfurrytexan.

I'm 37 years old now.

At the age of 10 I asked a simple yet rather uninformed question of my stepfather.

What is the difference between "legal drugs" and "illegal drugs"?

Remember, I was 10 at the time, not knowing diddly squat about this issue and confused.

My stpefather proceeded to not answer my question but threaten me.

He told me if I ever brought drugs into his house he would not only break my neck but he would leave me out at the side of the road for the garbage men to pick up on trash day, something that profoundly affected me, scared straight without ever having to have had the negative impact of becoming a drug experimenter and or drug user.

Now, 27 years later, I am informed, I've read the foreign and domestic policies.

I know for a fact that while the D.E.A. is actually trying to stop the drugs flowing into America, that the C.I.A. is not only looking the other way and usually funding, arming, and or assiting the people growing the drugs, but the State Department acts as a buffer, if you will, to stop us from actually going after the source through duplicitous policy as well as to not escalate any "political relations" between the nations growing the God-damned drugs in the first place.

Now, my question to you is, if I know all of this, experience all of this, see my tax money not only being wasted but mis-appropriated, how am I supposed to think, act, or believe, when I know damn good and well my own Government is lying through their teeth?

If we're going to have a War on Drugs do you not think our "soldiers" should be going after the source of the issue?

It is not the nickel and dime bag pot dealer or Opium Dens which are the problem those are small scale issues.

It is not the person wanting to get high nor those wanting to Chase the Dragon which are the problem.

That is a personal choice of many.

I see individuality as one of the most vital things anyone can have because it is equal to freedom to me.

However, if we know Afghanistan, or Columbia are the source that is crippling our nation do we not have a responsibility?

To go after the source.

A soldier's job is work him or herself out of being necessary.

Of course they might not all agree and or know that or even agree with that.

In other words a soldier is responsible for putting themselves out of work.

There will always be a new war, a policy shift, and or an ally who becomes an enemy or the reverse.

So, if we're going to have a War on Drugs, why then are we not truly trying to win it?

Because in my estimation it is an ignorance like Prohibition of a Government trying to do something impossible.

Deny someone something they want and they will seek it out anyway unless they are indoctrinated into not rocking the boat and meekly being subservient to authority.

Do I seem to you someone who is indoctrinated into not rocking the boat or being meekly being subservient to authority?

I think that answer is blatantly obvious.

I say rock the damn boat and turn her ass up into the sky if the ship is already sinking.

At least you can crawl onto her hull instead of slowly awaiting death.

Please, go re-read all of my posts, in this thread, and tell me what you really think.

If my tax money is being wasted and mis-appropriated I want every penny back along with everyone elses.

I also want to stop paying taxes because I will not support corruption in my name.

We know where the Golden Triangle, the Golden Crescent, and Columbia grows their drugs.

Yet nothing is done to stop the source.

While I certainly understand your premise of letting other people make their own choices, and I agree to a large extent, I also see an endemic mis-proporation and allocation of money, times, and lives being wasted upon something our nation is allegedly against, yet does nothing about other than waste money, time, and lives upon for no other reason to than to keep this Ouroboros swallowing its own tail and choke up hypocrisy to the Nth degree.

edit on 10/3/10 by SpartanKingLeonidas because: Adding Depth To The Post.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join