It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Heads Roll, Hearts Harden

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 12:51 PM
link   
What has happened to civilization in the wake of these recent beheadings? First it was Daniel Pearl in Pakistan. Most folks thought it was terrible, but since it wasn't directly related to the 'War on Terror' which was very new at the time, no one freaked out. Then came Nick Berg and everyone was up in arms about the brutatlity of a beheading. Now we're on to Paul Johnson and Kim Sun-Il and folks are starting to view it as SOP in the 'War on Terror'.

What I don't understand is how it only takes four beheadings for folks hearts to harden and these occurrences to seem commonplace.

I could go on about prisoner abuse too, but why? How many examples do people need to learn that even minimal exposure to graphic violence, accompanied by some news commentary hardens the heart against such violence's awfulness?

What do I suggest? Stay mad. There's absolutely no reason folks should allow themselves to disregard their base emotions when confronted with such atrocities. Evolution seems to have fairly well honed our fight and flight response as well as other knee-jerk autonomous nervous reactions including vomiting at the sight/smell of something disgusting. Now we try to intellectualize our efforts to disregard these reactions and we pride ourselves in being able to overcome them through efforts of our own personal will.

Is that really healthy? There's a reason this stuff disgusted you when you first heard about it...don't brush it under the carpet. Stay disgusted. Keep your nausea in your heart and head when you vote or consider protesting a politician with whom you disagree. If we allow this sort of stuff to stop bothering us, imagine what they'll slip in the back door.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 12:55 PM
link   
What I do not understand is why someone has to get beheaded because some Iraqi was forced to wear panties on his head. Why didn't they just make a video of Nick Berg wearing panties on his head and call it even?

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Your post spoke to something I have been thinking about a lot lately. With each beheading, I become not only physically ill, but angry as hell. At first, I tried to "rationalize" my anger and to bury it. Then, I thought, "why bury the feelings of rage and anger and sadness?" Do I want to get to a point where atrocities, of any kind, don't bother me? Do I want to become desensitized and callous? Do I sacrifice my own humanity for a feeling of "control" and "normality"? I don't think that's the thing to do. What keeps us from being mindless zombies IS the fact that we react on a human, gut level to such outrages.
Believe me, my feelings will be reflected at the ballot box, as well.
This is an incredibly sad and disturbing time to be alive. But, the key word is "alive"...alive to all the feelings,emotions, and feelings that accompany human existance and those that do evil in this world.
joey

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I was realy disturbed when I heard about the beheadings and probably changed forever when I watched the Nick Burg video. I think the best way to swallow it is to not focus on the way the people died and just that that they were killed needlessly by psychopathic people. In reality what's the difference between a murder by bullet or by beheading, it's still a murder either way.

The terrorists want to get in out heads and scare us and they will keep trying to do it more creatively to keep our attention. The thing that get's me is the volume of people willing to kill, you would think they would run out of crazy people eventually.

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
What I do not understand is why someone has to get beheaded because some Iraqi was forced to wear panties on his head.

There was a lot more going on than what you saw in the pictures. Anal rape, murder, were just a few. Just don't rely on pictures for information, because they only released a very, very, few amoung thousands.

EDIT: HERE'S
a good start on what happened at ABu Ghraib. No pictures, just good info. A lot more came out since. Still no pictures, just horrific revelations HERE.

[edit on 24-6-2004 by curme]

posted on Jun, 24 2004 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by chaosrain

What I don't understand is how it only takes four beheadings for folks hearts to harden and these occurrences to seem commonplace.

How right you are! I found that after the Korean was beheaded there was much less outrage. It was like "another beheading" ho-hum. Stay angry people and remember next November who got us into this mess!!

Q

posted on Jun, 25 2004 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
What I do not understand is why someone has to get beheaded because some Iraqi was forced to wear panties on his head. Why didn't they just make a video of Nick Berg wearing panties on his head and call it even?

Hee Hee...that's the funniest thing I've heard all week, groingrinder. I'm with you on this one!

Jalengrma: actually, there was quite a stir in S. Korea after this beheading. Bluntly put, the Koreans are pissed! Of course, there was the expected anti-war reaction, but overwhelmingly it would seem that our S. Korean friends want their blood in return. I read in the paper today that one of their government email servers crashed due to an onslaught of emails to President Roh saying "please, kill them. Send me over there and I'll do it myself!" Paraphrased, but on point. I don't think that the Jihadis really thought this one through... Bra-vo to S. Korea for not folding like Spain did.

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I dont like the term "beheading"-it sounds too civilized, too genteel. They should call it getting your head sawed off, or head cuttings--make it sound as bloody and vicious as it really is. Also I wish all media sources would stop showing the murderers--masked cowards that they are--and stop refering to the name of their organization and what that group is complaining about or demanding or anything they say--it just gives free advertising so to speak. Instead of using that name they call themselves, we should refer to them by some insulting or comical term---maybe the writers from SNL could help out here.

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Q
Bra-vo to S. Korea for not folding like Spain did.

The South Korean beheading is hardly comparable to the train bombing in spain killing 191 people. You also forget that Jose Maria Aznar blamed the bombing on Basque separatists for political gain. This is the main reason why the spanish people voted him and his party out of office.

This clearly tells you that there are people who do not tolerate being lied to by their government. While others do...

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 03:47 PM
link   

There's a reason this stuff disgusted you when you first heard about it...don't brush it under the carpet. Stay disgusted. Keep your nausea in your heart and head when you vote or consider protesting a politician with whom you disagree. If we allow this sort of stuff to stop bothering us, imagine what they'll slip in the back door.

Excellent point. But, we live in a country where violence is so common, people are desensitized. Its like people think that as long as it is not happening in their backyard, it doesn't matter. I think part of this is due to the fact that we live in a country that sanctions killing. I wonder if the the death penalty would exist still if it was broadcast into everyone's living rooms each time someone was executed. Our empathy is damaged and we have become callous and selfish.

posted on Jun, 26 2004 @ 03:58 PM
link   

from Jalengrma
Stay angry people and remember next November who got us into this mess!!

Yes, too bad none of them will be on the ballot. Many of them piloted the planes into the WTC and other places on 9/11.

Q

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I agree that one beheading vs. 191 people killed in a bombing is not generally comparable. Still, these were both terrorist acts (at very least supported) by the same group.

191 people in Spain were killed; the then-government distributed misleading statements based on erroneous intel. Given. Rather than showing anger, or a healthy lust for revenge against the very people who so brutally massacred their own, Spain basically blamed the government for the attack (rather than for their misinformation), voted them out, and promptly withdrew virtually all support in fighting those who caused them so much harm. Sorry, that's a lame cop-out any way you slice it.

One S. Korean gets butchered, and 3/4 of the country is ready to come to Iraq and personally bust some Jihadi heads. Almost the opposite affect here, but I've got to give the S. Koreans props for having the stones to stand up to terror.

Who would you rather have on your side?

posted on Jun, 30 2004 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I'm not sure my Heart is hardened.
I feel bad for each and every person treated like a lamb for slaughter.
Watching the Berg Video changed me forever.
Not just because of the violent act. But because of the overwhelming sensation
that I needed to "jump into" that movie, and rescue that Lamb. It's like I saw it coming, but he had no idea..Did anyone else feel something like this?
Helplessness. Then red-faced anger.

However, what you might see as a blunted reaction, is pretty normal. I don't
think the adrenaline is turned on at the same level the second, or third time.

It's advantageous really, you can't accomplish much, when you are THAT wired, at least not without special training.

Additionally, if those terrorist animals can't elicit the response they want, they'll have ot move on to other tactics. Something that is more expensive, exposes them to more scrutiny. We will wear them down.

Q,

South Korea, of course!

new topics

top topics

join