It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Camcorders with Infrared capability

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Hello,

I'm looking for recommendations for camcorders with IR capability. From what I understand, Sony is the best, if not the only, producer of such camcorders. Show me what you have. I need help finding one.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I have one of the first Sony cameras ( model TRV615) with the clothes X Ray vision capabilities..and yes it works. After Sony found out about this they discontinued this type.The older Sony's are able to film in "Nightshot" mode during daylight hours, the newer models are not able to do this. With a 950nm IR filter and filming in "Nightshot" mode during daylight hours your able to see things in the sky normal cameras are unable to see..it's awesome.

Here's a video compilation of UFO's i filmed over the years.

A compilation of strange objects I have filmed over the past few years.
All have been Filmed during daylight hours using a Sony Hi8 with a 950nm IR filter and in Nightshot mode... Hence the Green color of the videos

Originally posted by cygnus_72
Hello,

I'm looking for recommendations for camcorders with IR capability. From what I understand, Sony is the best, if not the only, producer of such camcorders. Show me what you have. I need help finding one.

edit on 9/30/2010 by GammaRayBurst because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 08:31 AM
link   
GRB,

I'm finding pretty decent deals online for camcorders, everything from JVC to Sony, from Panasonic to Canon (I'm a Canon junky). Are there IR filters that fit any of these camcorders that will allow me to record what you have?

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Yes there are many IR filters on line for sale, you just need to get the right diameter for your camera.

GRB,

I'm finding pretty decent deals online for camcorders, everything from JVC to Sony, from Panasonic to Canon (I'm a Canon junky). Are there IR filters that fit any of these camcorders that will allow me to record what you have?

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Okay, I really hope I'm not being a pain here, GRB and others.

It turns out that I have access to a Sony DCR-TRV460 HandyCam. I think it can take 37mm filters. I just tried it out here a little bit ago around 10:30PM EST and pointed it toward the sky, but the only thing I was able to pick up was Jupiter, even with Night Shot on.

I'm thinking that I should be able to get a decent, IR filter that will fit this camcorder and achieve satisfactory results. Since I'm so new at this, and really can't interact with the big boys yet because of my status as a newbie, I'm really lost and feeling a bit overwhelmed. Do you think this filter and get decent results with my camcorder?

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   

It turns out that I have access to a Sony DCR-TRV460 HandyCam. I think it can take 37mm filters. I just tried it out here a little bit ago around 10:30PM EST and pointed it toward the sky, but the only thing I was able to pick up was Jupiter, even with Night Shot on.

I'm thinking that I should be able to get a decent, IR filter that will fit this camcorder and achieve satisfactory results. Since I'm so new at this, and really can't interact with the big boys yet because of my status as a newbie, I'm really lost and feeling a bit overwhelmed. Do you think this filter and get decent results with my camcorder?

The IR filter is best used during daylight hours, not night time. It's for showing IR (Heat) so it won't work at night when everything is cool. Take it outside tomorrow about noon and look around with the IR filter installed and in "Nightshot" mode, you will see a huge difference on what the world looks like in IR.

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 11:33 PM
link   

I think you are confusing Infra Filters with Night Vision.... Night Vision amplifies light so your able to see in darkness...IR filters do not do that, with IR you need a IR light source to be able to see in darkness.

edit on 10/3/2010 by GammaRayBurst because: Added more info

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Thanks, GRB. I knew the difference between IR and night vision, but you're right; I was confusing the two. Thanks for clearing that up. Still, will the filter I provided the link to be sufficient for capturing images in the sky? I'm an amateur astronomer, so I do know a little bit about light emission and filters, particularly when it comes to observing nebulae. But this IR thing is completely new to me.

This is why I want to begin filming. This event occurred about 7 years ago and it's been driving me nuts since. Keep in mind, this was in the middle of November well after sunset. Cold and dark, so it couldn't have been a bug or a bird. I'm not going to jump the gun and say it was extra-terrestrial in nature, but I just want to know what it was.

edit on 4-10-2010 by cygnus_72 because: Grammar correction

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Thanks, GRB. I knew the difference between IR and night vision, but you're right; I was confusing the two. Thanks for clearing that up. Still, will the filter I provided the link to be sufficient for capturing images in the sky? I'm an amateur astronomer, so I do know a little bit about light emission and filters, particularly when it comes to observing nebulae. But this IR thing is completely new to me.

This is why I want to begin filming. This event occurred about 7 years ago and it's been driving me nuts since. Keep in mind, this was in the middle of November well after sunset. Cold and dark, so it couldn't have been a bug or a bird. I'm not going to jump the gun and say it was extra-terrestrial in nature, but I just want to know what it was.

edit on 4-10-2010 by cygnus_72 because: Grammar correction

I"m not sure about that filter, it's a lower end of the IR spectrum filter...I use a 950nm IR filter myself. Try this site, a lot of good info and items for sale...www.maxmax.com...

edit on 10/4/2010 by GammaRayBurst because: Link added

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Here's a little video to show the difference between using a IR filter alone and a IR filter and Nightshot mode at the same time.

img178.imageshack.us...

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Wow! That's a great difference. Thanks, GRB!

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
GRB,

Getting ready to pull the trigger on either the 850nm or 1000nm filter from the site you provided. I'll probably go with the XNite100037C because I'm assuming that since it's 1mm thick it will allow more light to pass through. Also, I don't see the 950nm.

I promise I'm almost finished nagging you.

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   

GRB,

Getting ready to pull the trigger on either the 850nm or 1000nm filter from the site you provided. I'll probably go with the XNite100037C because I'm assuming that since it's 1mm thick it will allow more light to pass through. Also, I don't see the 950nm.

I promise I'm almost finished nagging you.

No Problem, ask away...LOL... The 1000nm is a good choice....

posted on Oct, 5 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I use a VADO HD camera, iti s little and easy to modify if you know what you are doing, without any modification it records better than Flip mino, mino hd, kodak zi6, zi8, Sport, Sony webbie. I know because I have own those cameras and I think the VADO HD records much much better, I modified my VADO HD by removing the ir filter of the lens, you need to open the camera carefully and remove the ir filter and then recalibrate the focus. The image sensor captures excellent in low light conditions and with a little IR lamp you will get better image.

I have removed IR filters from camcorders in the past and by far this VADO HD is more sensitive in low light conditions.

Here is a video comparison of the VADO HD camera and a video I recorded with my iphone 4, the iphone and vado were recording at 720p @30fps and the vado didnt had the IR filter installed.

iphone on the left, vado on the right.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Hello again,

Well, it's been four years since my last post here but I wanted to try to pursue this all over again. The last time I tried to record anything in the sky things didn't exactly work out. Either I got the wrong IR filter or I was in over my head and didn't know what I was doing.

Besides, the camcorder I was using wasn't mine.

Anyway, I'm looking to get back into the hunt here, but I have a few questions. I'm looking at Sony Handycams with Nightshot, but I'm not against using older camcorders that use tape instead of memory. That said, if I could an older cam, like one of these, can I put an IR filter on it that would be comparable to a more recent Handycam?

Either way, I want to record. If you had $200, what recording equipment would you buy?

top topics

join