It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Opinions wanted on this issue please - Man Made Fibres.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Hi all ATSers. Hope you are all well.
I have been indoors fitting some Insulation today, as part of a building project. The insulation is the 'Rock Wool' fibrous stuff.

After a few hours work , the sun caught the loose fibres in the air, enabling me to see the VAST amount of micro fibres floating in the air.
I was so very glad i had worn a dust mask.

I sometimes see the same thing in homes where carpets are fitted - if the sun is shining through the windows just right, there seems to be masses of small fibres in the air, even after vacuuming has been carried out.

Now I imagine most carpets are made from plastic fibres? Is that correct?

Now I recall that the dangers of Asbestos were 'covered up' even when it was known to be harmful, but is there any evidence that the plastics industry knows of any dangers to long term exposure to small plastics fibres?

If memory serves, are most plastics made from oil?
I appreciate that oil is essential to how I live, and so I won't be verbally bashing the oil companies; but I would love to hear if anyone has any thoughts on long term plastic fibre exposure.

How many generations have been exposed to it so far? and, is it harmful?

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   
My youngest son's been using that wool stuff recently and the amount of fibres coming off his clothes is unbelievable. I've banned him from putting his dirty gear in the laundry basket with everyone elses stuff. And ordered him to wear a mask.

I think we should be concerned about what we're breathing in but it all gets in other ways too. We're just polluted really. Some folk even say the teflon in school clothing and from frying pans is getting into our bodies.

Years ago there was a man on the telly who used to do dowsing and healing. He became a favourite of Princess Diana and Fergie because he diagnosed lead poisoning in Di just by watching her on the telly. He used to tell people to stay clear of certain substances and fibres. Man-made fabrics, tampons, tights, stockings, etc etc. His name was Jack Temple. A lot of his customers said they were happier and healthier when they made the lifestyle changes he advised. He's the only person I've ever seen using a pendulum who deliberately spun it then claimed he felt certain pulls within the spin that helped him form his diagnoses.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Onet Wosix

I am no chemist, but I don't think the fibers are as big a deal as the gases that they give off.

www.google.com... %2F&rct=j&q=carpet%20fumes%20dangerous&ei=MeKkTO7EC8P7lwf31viCDA&usg=AFQjCNHhqSFQJylnmp5uXMZiMc6ZAfgiDw&sig2=gxPbsm_x03oZbZWTjJe0Ug&cad=rja

I would be wary of the rockwool, and fiberglass too! Rockwool is a possible carcinogen.

www.google.com... ool%20insulation&ei=kuKkTOLnJYSClAfqlNmCDA&usg=AFQjCNFOaO8zGjZhzX23CtAG71fEtRdWfw&sig2=OL9jCSHR10Vp32oLGacBLA&cad=rja

new topics

join