It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fisher-Price recall: 11 million toys including 7 million children's tricycles

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Fisher-Price recall: 11 million toys including 7 million children's tricycles

www.csmonitor.com< br />

Fisher-Price announced a voluntary recall of 7 million Trikes and Tough Trikes toddler tricycles this morning, after receiving 10 reports of injury, six serious, according to the Consumer Product Safety Commission. In each case, little girls aged two to three years old fell against the protruding disc-shaped or D-shaped pretend ignition key.

They have also recalled seven models of infant activity centers with inflatable balls in which the valve from the balls comes off, 950,000 Fisher-Price
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www. dailymail.co.uk
abcnews.go.com
edmonton.ctv.ca
www.torontosun.com

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Fisher-Price has a reputation for outsourcing toy production to China for cost-cutting and a reputation for substandard toy quality.

One lesson to learn: Do not buy your children or grandchildren Fisher-Price toys.

www.csmonitor.com< br /> (visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Ouch (at the description of what happened to the kids).
Is Fisher-Price notorious for shady conduct? I thought they were clean.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by ironfalcon

7 million recalled over 10 injuries?

They fell against a disc-shaped key?

Product liability is out of control!! I love my kids. They get hurt all the time. It is part of being a kid. If a kid falls and hits something, should we really sue? I think this is way, way out of hand. 10 injuries? Out of 7 million products?

I am looking at my computer desk right now. If I were to reach for my phone, turn my chair too quickly, catch my left nut on my under desk keyboard, squeel in pain and lash back I might catch the corner of my metal cabinet. I could be RICH!! Sue my employer, the deskmaker, the desk accessory maker, the cabinet maker, the phone maker, the chair maker, my boss, the person that called me at such an inappropriate time, my doctor, the ambulance service, and my ex-wife! I could sue them all!! They are all complicit in my nut catastrophe!

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Only in America though.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I see a protrusion that's rounded to prevent serious injury.

I also see potential injury with the protruding handlebars that can suddenly turn, the pinch point in the steering, the moving wheels and a few other possible issues too.

Where does it end? Seriously?

Absolutely ridiculous and I fail to see why it should be recalled because of this. Kids get hurt when they play, end of story.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by ironfalcon

At one time you could count on Fisher-Price toys
for quality and safety,not anymore!

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

Why?

Are they inferior to any other toy maker? Are they supposed to foresee every possible way a kid can get hurt? Are they supposed to not outsource their products, and then sell them at higher prices to only the elite buyers that can afford them?

Tell me what Fisher Price did wrong? Other than do a completely ridiculous recall that is unnecessary but will cost them millions of dollars anyway.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nventual
Ouch (at the description of what happened to the kids).
Is Fisher-Price notorious for shady conduct? I thought they were clean.
There's always room for improvement, but I think they are trying to do the right thing. Look at the specifics of this recall.

Originally posted by getreadyalready
Product liability is out of control!! I love my kids. They get hurt all the time. It is part of being a kid. If a kid falls and hits something, should we really sue? I think this is way, way out of hand. 10 injuries? Out of 7 million products?
Well the 4 minor injuries actually seems pretty low for 7 million products, but I'm really curious about the "6 serious" injuries. How exactly do you get seriously injured falling against that key, look at it:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/888060671ee8.jpg[/atsimg]

You could be right, this may be one of those cases where they've gone overboard. So when we see how expensive toys are in the store, maybe a little overpriced, I think part of the reason is paying for nonsense like this.

Suppose they put you in charge of making sure all the toys Fisher Price makes are safe, would the shape of this key have alarmed you when they showed you the prototype? I can't say it would have alarmed me, it's got about the same curvature as the handlebars, and I would venture a guess that a lot of kids fall onto the handlebars and get injured on those, sometimes seriously, that's a lot more foreseeable. But then how do you make the trike without handlebars? It's almost impossible to make anything a child can play with that will never involve any type of injury, especially when there are 7 million of them out there.

There has to be a limit somewhere in regard to what's considered reasonable. But I think the blood-sucking product liability lawyers are partly to blame for this type of overreaction. The parents of the 7th kid "seriously" injured on that key might try to sue for millions, and unfortunately, might win, even though the design doesn't look dangerous to me, does it look dangerous to you folks complaining about FP product safety? Really?

edit on 30-9-2010 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Interesting..fisher price of all toys! ah..what ever happened to the good 'old ays, when i was a kid in the early 80's..choking hazard galore with the GI joe figures, guns from the transformers....everything was made of metal that rusted quickly left in the rain aka tonka trucks and hot wheels cars. ide LOVE to go to one of these safety get togethers, and bring my kid with me ( even though i dont have one) pick him up n drop him on his butt then say things like its a free ride bobby! wee sally!
even as kids, wede wrestle till our bodys were red, get into so much mischevous trouble breaking bottles against stone walls, rolling tires into the street, one time we found a WHOLE bunch of discarded flourescent tube bulbs, in the woods, which we quickly used as star wars fights with eachother hell we even climbed up 25 foot trees and built* makeshift clubhouses!!!!
kids today are getting weaker and dumber* i work in a pharmacutical store, in greenwich CT area.. the younger generation, ages 13 to 16 it seems, ALOT of them, including the women, i hear them talking out loud when thier not shoplifiting...how much they wanna have sex tonight, the gnagbang they did in the schoolyard woods last week, and want 2 or 3 more of thier high school budys involved..... jesus!!! even when i was 13 and peuberty hit, yeah i wanted to kiss a girl and take it further, but as a guy.....95% of the time..all i wanted to do, wa go our running, dig a hole in the ground for no reason, build clubhouses things like that!!! sex was on my mind, but going out wiht friends and forgetting the world around us more or less was what it was all about
we never even shoplifted!! we had enough respect, to not do things like that dispite the mischief we found o created* kids today..their just being taught to lay back and dont do anything, and have as much sex ( undeage and found in any bookstore or magazine shop).. i totlay disagree with it. and the toy makers, seem to have lost any inginuity or thoughts going into their products for anyone to really care about anyways

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Toy Recall by Fisher-Price affects 10 Million toys

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) and Health Canada announced a voluntary recall of 10 million toys today, in cooperation with toy chain Fisher-Price. The recall list includes Baby Playzone™ Crawl & Cruise Playground™, Baby Gymtastics™ Play Wall, Ocean Wonders™ Kick & Crawl™ Aquarium (C3068 and H8094), 1-2-3 Tetherball™, Bat & Score Goal™, Fisher Price tricycles and highchairs. At least 10 children have been injured using the tricycles. The other toys have parts that may detach and be ingested by young children, posing a choking risk.

top topics

join