It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quick question whats the W stand for below the avatar?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 09:42 AM
link   
I have been trying to figure out what the W stands for under the avatar I take it the P is for position/points and the S is for stars and the F for flags but what is the W for? is this the new lay out theme for each member?

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by franspeakfree

Originally posted by americandingbat
The W stands for WATS, or Way Above Top Secret. It's an index that reflects how many stars and flags we have and is used to generate the "Top 50 Members" list as a way (I think) of highlighting some of the best/most popular content the site has to offer.

Specifically, it's calculated as W = (flags * stars)/200000

Originally posted here

edit to add: I believe the "P" is actually for Posts (total number of posts we've made)

edit on 9/30/2010 by americandingbat because: (no reason given)

link   
I thought it was "Warns" so you could see the bad apples but turns out it's "WATS." Some magic number based on your stars and flags that means something to somebody somewhere.

link   
Could it be "Warning's?" If so you've had quite a few!

Thats the only thing I could think it is anyway.

Nevermind, I stand corrected.

edit on 9/30/2010 by Juston because: Late posting

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   
No its not warnings, I have had a few so the number would be more than 1 for me..

I am not sure what W means, I was thinking it might be WATS but some people who have it dont make sense because some of these people who have it came after wats became extinct..

So I am not sure what it is but I would like to know...

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Juston
Could it be "Warning's?" If so you've had quite a few!

Thats the only thing I could think it is anyway.

Nevermind, I stand corrected.

edit on 9/30/2010 by Juston because: Late posting

This is the funny thing, I haven't had any warnings (that I know of) surely I would have got a U2U or something and to be honest I don't normally say things that warrant warnings, again that I know of, I mean I have my days but.....

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   

As others have stated, it's for WATS.

The more important question...why is WATS even necessary?

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by iamsupermanv2

As others have stated, it's for WATS.

The more important question...why is WATS even necessary?

Maybe to encourage members to post well educated and informed threads so as to provoke interesting and intelligence discussion?

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Warnings... I think.

Someone swear and see if it goes up*

* disclaimer - not responsible in any way or form for abusive language in any context... ever.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by iamsupermanv2

What is WATS?
2ND

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

I agree in part with that...but with threads such as these with all those flags and all those stars...

Not getting on you, as I'm sure your answer is close to what the "official" answer is, just something I was thinking about

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by iamsupermanv2
reply to post by Death_Kron

I agree in part with that...but with threads such as these with all those flags and all those stars...

Not getting on you, as I'm sure your answer is close to what the "official" answer is, just something I was thinking about

Well I agree it's not a perfect system, however people have been giving stars and flags to threads that don't necessarily deserve them anyways.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   
And why is my AVI misbehaven??? If anybody knows.
my bad nevernmind

edit on 9/30/10 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ophiuchus 13
reply to post by iamsupermanv2

What is WATS?
2ND

WATS: Way Above Top Secret Award..

This award was given to people by others if they thought the person post was worthy enough... as mentioned below in these posts..

Originally posted by grimreaper797

Originally posted by Redge777

Anyway they tell us she is ahead, and has the women vote so all the people that just do what other people do will just vote for her. Tell someone something enough, they will follow along with it.

I wish WATS was still around so I could give you one. These are my sentiments exactly. It's just media playing people. Media is the one controlling the polls we talk about. Media is the one telling us who is ahead and behind.

It's all BS and manipulation. People have way too much faith in these private corporations.

Originally posted by Rilence
reply to post by Hal9000

Hal...I wish WATS was still around, cos I would give you one without hesitation

Your efforts on this thread as far as showing us how to take a peek at this amazing object have been first class and not once have your responded to a question with a jargon filled answer, only easy to understand stuff for the general membership...

Well done, Sir...I Salut thee

Peace

Originally posted by Rilence
reply to post by jfj123

Jf...The way you and a couple other people on this thread have handled yourselves in the face of absurdness has been truly classy...

I wish WATS was still running,I'd give you and the couple of sensible people on this thread a vote each...

Not only should we deny ignorance here, we should also deny stupidity to the max...And that is what has occurred on this thread to my mind...

The level of stupidity by some posters and the contempt of basic scientific philosophy in that if you state a position previously not accepted as fact, you;

a) argue your case as logically as possibly

AND

b) you provide EVIDENCE to support your theorem

Nobody on this thread who believes Planet X, Niburu, some red/brown dwarf will inflict carnage on the Solar System in the next 5 yrs or whatever has met these marks...

They have fallen well short..

On that note, I reckon this thread is pretty much dead...Unless we get some evidence to peruse...

What you guys say ?

Peace and thanks again JF and others, class prevails over BS everytime

Then here SO talks about how a new system of WATS will work..
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

The New And Improved "Way Above Top Secret" Calculation

Over the past several months, there has not been any "Way Above Top Secret" awards handed out based on member voting. The system was designed to only consider members with 10 or more votes, and we seem to have outgrown the legacy of the voting system.

It was originally conceived and designed at a point when we rarely exceeded 1,000 new posts and 20 new members a day. Now, with nearly 4,000 members logging in every week, and most of them creating a post, the simplified voting method simply isn't creating a scoring system that works any more. For example, this past April, 14 members received 12 votes, the highest tally... but we had over 500 members receiving votes.

Now the thing is we didnt have stars and flags out the ass.. We only had I think 3 wats per month.. So when we used these we needed to use them sparingly because it was 3 times we can use it per month.. So people who got them were well worth the effort...

edit on 9/30/2010 by ThichHeaded because: ADDED SO COMMENT!!!

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by ThichHeaded

See if it was more like that, I'd be in favor.

I understand why to flag, you help bring it to the attention of other users. The stars I see as a popularity thing. I give them when I find a really good response/funny one, but kinda feel like a tool when I do. It's like a highfive.

Give me 3 WATS votes a month and that would be worth something...

Oh well..suppose if I want it the way I want it I should start my own site

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ThichHeaded

Thank you ThichHeaded
, appreciate it.
2nd

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Reread my post.. I added a comment from SO talking about the WATS system and probably why it was phased out..

he said to many people and so on..

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   

The W stands for WATS, or Way Above Top Secret. It's an index that reflects how many stars and flags we have and is used to generate the "Top 50 Members" list as a way (I think) of highlighting some of the best/most popular content the site has to offer.

Specifically, it's calculated as W = (flags * stars)/200000

Originally posted here

edit to add: I believe the "P" is actually for Posts (total number of posts we've made)

edit on 9/30/2010 by americandingbat because: (no reason given)

Since this has been properly answered, this thread is now closed. Please add any new comments or questions regarding the new changeover to the ongoing and monitored ATS 2010 Updates thread

top topics

join