It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Common Sense

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Spiro

Great find, Lori Borgman was a very wise woman, this should be mandatory reading for all members on ATS and part of the T&C.

Thanks for posting this Spiro.
S&F

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Maybe common sense isn't meant as a starting-point, but rather as an emergency exit.

Look at the leaders we elect (or who elect themselves).
In spite of all odds to the contrary, this planet hasn't been blown to bits yet.

Look at the juvenile detention institutions called schools.
An amazing amount of the students can actually read, write and do simple calculations, when they are released.

Look at the ideologies expecting us to go out and kill for no obvious reasons or getting crucified upside down.
There are still liberal societies surviving intact up till several days.

Look at the brainkilling trash, which PCs mostly are used for.
But think of the highly specialized knowledge needed by the average PC user, who has know-how tech and a vocabulary worthy of a space engineer.

Look at the new-age tribe, with no visible means of supporting themselves.
Yet they seem to survive through some inter-tribal barter economy.

Look at how the guys with South Park haven't been lynched yet.

And look at me, who got an Eric Cartman as part of the bargain (when I for a ten year period was married to his mother).
I'm still alive.

So it can't be all that bad.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Spiro

My Dear Friends, Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape.

that's perfectly Brilliant
Road to Hell is paved with Good Wishes.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by aching_knuckles
I was with you until the Ten COmmandements got brought up, and the "Church as business" nonsense. This is the problem with self righteous religious zealots - the only people who can be trustworthy and pure are people who agree to worship their god and follow their religious rules.

The same thing I was thinking . How great a post it was then BAM here comes the religion input. Common sense and religion are complete opposites.Religion In my opinion falls under one of the evil step brothers.

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by trey85
... Common sense and religion are complete opposites.

One is based on logic/fact and the other is 'faith' without proof.

No wonder common sense is dead... religion dominates the world.

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by artistpoet
Strange thing about Plagarism is that it is not always the case though it may seem so - Ideas can independently occur to others who are seemingly not connected. I wrote a poem about a personal experience a few years ago - when a friend read it she said Oh that poem already exists - I had never read that poem before - This go to show that truth is universal and not the property of one individual

This is true, as with cliches, we often say things that have been said before but we have no realization of these and therefore quite original to the speaker but often not to the listener.

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 05:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thurisaz

One is based on logic/fact and the other is 'faith' without proof.

No wonder common sense is dead... religion dominates the world.

But faith is part of believing what is right, when you say something that you believe to be right without proof than you have faith in your theory until it is disproved, faith is part of life not just religion.

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 06:01 AM
link   
My dear friend,

Originally posted by Aquarius1
reply to post by Spiro

Great find, Lori Borgman was a very wise woman, this should be mandatory reading for all members on ATS and part of the T&C.

Thanks for posting this Spiro.
S&F

You are very welcome

Many thanks, be safe be well

Spiro

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by MusicLife
But faith is part of believing what is right, when you say something that you believe to be right without proof than you have faith in your theory until it is disproved, faith is part of life not just religion.

No, that is called ignorance or a hypothesis.

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 06:15 AM
link   
My friend,

Originally posted by MusicLife

faith is part of life not just religion.

So very true, yet not fully understood by many. I have faith, I believe in faith, I experience faith.....though not in a religious way......indeed spiritual

Be safe be well

Spiro

posted on Oct, 8 2010 @ 06:02 AM
link   
OK before you guys get too depressed or cynical let me add my 2 cents. The way I see it if common sense was really "dead" than in the worst case scenario there would be total chaos in society! But is it really that bad? My answer is no way in hell! I would say common sense is just weak.
From my observation some people got better common sense than others. The rest of them could either be catching up or got the wrong idea of what common sense really is. That's one of the trial-and-error phrases we all go through in life. They will eventually know better with more experience,unless they chose not to learn.
I also notice that common sense isn't that common because its usually just ignorance. If people are willing to teach or remind others more often about the walks of life than their idea of common sense will get better naturally.

Even if things do become chaotic in life then I would say that's not going to last forever,because I think we can believe that there are some people out there who are willing to keep common sense alive and well.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Spiro

My Dear Friends,

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years... Common Sense finally gave up the will to live after a woman failed to realize a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

I know this is an old thread but no one seems to have noticed that in the case mentioned above Liebeck v. McDonald's Restaurants that the woman mentioned was hospitalized for 8 days while she underwent skin grafts to replace the damaged skin in embarrassingly private areas of her body. The is the description from Wikipedia (linked above) of McDonald's helpful response: "Her past medical expenses were $10,500; her anticipated future medical expenses were approximately $2,500; and her loss of income was approximately $5,000 for a total of approximately $18,000.[14] Instead, the company offered only $800. When McDonald's refused to raise its offer, Liebeck retained Texas attorney Reed Morgan." Similar scalding coffee scenarios had already played out more than 700 hundred times in a ten year period, 1982 to 1992, with McDonald's paying out settlements to other plaintiffs.

This is probably a good example of the media delivering a story in a favorable way for the benefit of a major advertiser, thus skewing everyones opinion of the incident thereafter. Had the coffee given third degree burns to a rambunctious child's head and face, would McDonald's still have been considered the reasoned party? Any company that delivers scalding hot beverage to millions of customers should have the fore-site to know that a recurring number of customers will end up spilling it on themselves or others. No doubt that this lawsuit has saved many from a similar fate.

edit on 12-12-2011 by Wotaneyed because: My whole post appears as a quoted post, not just the quote of a quote part of it. Adding seems to fix it.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Hmmm...

Common sense told us that the world was flat, earth was the center of the universe, people were supposed to die at 30, the black plague was a curse from god, you do what your king says without asking questions, that a man could not save another man from death, that alcohol kills brain cells, that the cold makes you sick. The endless stupidity found in and continuously added to the well of "common sense" never ceases to amaze. The things taken for granted by what is called "common sense" are in my opinion, and that of many others, some of te biggest stumbling blocks to the advancement of the human race.

So unfortunately common sense is not dead, but when it is the world will be better for it.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 04:51 AM
link   
reply to post by dbloch7986

Yeah, put like that you make a good point.

But maybe the trick is to "define" the "common" part.

If it really was a "common" sense then well it should surely serve us to the positive.

Humans seemed to have lost the ability to maintain "common".

Common being seen as "ordinary" when every one's an individual.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join