It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Common Sense

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+37 more 
posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   

My Dear Friends,

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape.
He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as knowing when to come in out of the rain, why the early bird gets the worm, life isn’t always fair, and maybe it was my fault.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don’t spend more than you earn) and reliable parenting strategies (adults, not children, are in charge).

His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of a six-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition. Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job they themselves failed to do in disciplining their unruly children.

He declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer Panadol, sun lotion or a Band Aid to a student, but could not inform the parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Common Sense lost the will to live as the Ten Commandments became contraband, churches became businesses and criminals received better treatment than their victims.

Common Sense took a beating when you couldn’t defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar can sue you for assault. Common Sense finally gave up the will to live after a woman failed to realize a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.
Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents, Truth and Trust; his wife, Discretion; his daughter, Responsibility, and his son, Reason.

He is survived by three step brothers;

I Know My Rights,
Someone Else is to Blame,
I’m A Victim.

Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone.

links

Be safe be well,

Spiro

edit on 30-9-2010 by Spiro because: Typo

edit on 30/9/10 by masqua because: Added 'ex' tags and a link to Google

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Could not agree more

edit on 30-9-2010 by Yissachar1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Spiro

Wonderfully put...

Amusing and to the point...Wit and Wisdom.

edit on 30/9/2010 by jean59 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Spiro

Common Sense has died in many but it lives on in others - Perhaps we should seek CommonSense outside of stupid laws and rules and regulations

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   
My dear friend,

Originally posted by artistpoet
reply to post by Spiro

Common Sense has died in many but it lives on in others - Perhaps we should seek CommonSense outside of stupid laws and rules and regulations

Absoltely

Be afe be well,

Spiro

+3 more 
posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   
The death of plagiarism should also make for a good thread.

The lady that originally wrote this is named Lori Borgman back in 1998 ... it has been copied and modified many a time, still, she probably deserves a mention no?

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Spiro

Spiro,
Just like the woman with the hot cup of coffee found it was hot, but too late and got burned the "educated" ones are going about to blow us all up or kill us all in many of the ways common sense would not enter into. If one don't come soon to stop it man will make an end anyway. High Tech knowledge if handled right could be good but man isn't finding the better of them because there is no comman sense anymore at the top anyway. Us little ones don't count.

Truthiron

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Mt dearf friend,

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
The death of plagiarism should also make for a good thread.

The lady that originally wrote this is named Lori Borgman back in 1998 ... it has been copied and modified many a time, still, she probably deserves a mention no?

Abolutley,

having this recieved from a friend of mne who gave me the impression she wrote it, I presumed it it was worth passng to pwople. i never new it was wrote by Lori borgma, please acept my aoplogy's, i will emend the Op

I tried to edit the Op but apperently there is a four hour time limit. -(

Thanks for the direction my freind

Be safe Be well

Spiro

edit on 30-9-2010 by Spiro because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   
God is dead too if you haven't heard and we killed him.

No plagiarism.

I came up with that all by myself.

edit on 30-9-2010 by AProphet1233 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Strange thing about Plagarism is that it is not always the case though it may seem so - Ideas can independently occur to others who are seemingly not connected. I wrote a poem about a personal experience a few years ago - when a friend read it she said Oh that poem already exists - I had never read that poem before - This go to show that truth is universal and not the property of one individual

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Spiro

All you did was post some opinions and then labeled it as common sense.

Your common sense is the sign of the your times.

The cases you listed are a result of vindication by law, your morals and logic weren't even part of it. Is that not common sense?

edit on 41033201030072010Thursday33 by Nysothol because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by artistpoet
Strange thing about Plagarism is that it is not always the case though it may seem so - Ideas can independently occur to others who are seemingly not connected. I wrote a poem about a personal experience a few years ago - when a friend read it she said Oh that poem already exists - I had never read that poem before - This go to show that truth is universal and not the property of one individual

be safe be well,

Spiro

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Spiro

lol good stuff

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   
My friend,

Thankyou masqua
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Be safe be well,

Spiro
extra DIV

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Spiro

I dont think common-sense ever existed. The only sense that seems to have ever been common is non-sense.

Common-sense is a myth.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by iamcamouflage
reply to post by Spiro

I dont think common-sense ever existed. The only sense that seems to have ever been common is non-sense.

Common-sense is a myth.

Yes but Myth is also a story which es designed to encapsulate a deeper truth - Of course common sense exists - I see it dispayed often by many - especially seemingly ordinary people

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I was with you until the Ten COmmandements got brought up, and the "Church as business" nonsense. This is the problem with self righteous religious zealots - the only people who can be trustworthy and pure are people who agree to worship their god and follow their religious rules.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Common sense says
Do not use this social site.

www.wired.com...

www.Bump.com

Someone go start a thread about this

edit on 30-9-2010 by Gmoneycricket because: link repair

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Noone else thought this thread was about the rapper?

Took me a while >_

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Spiro

Ummm, truth would whisper, quite frank and unapologetic, there is no thing so common, my friend.
That particular state that you attempt to define is neither common, nor borne of sense. If there were a veritable glut of rational perception, then, indeed, it would be quite common.
However, from much observation, I can barely find it's presence anywhere. So this "uncommon" and rare intuition, only finds itself within a very few. No, it is neither common, nor has it died away altogether. So, no requiems, no obituaries, no need for for grief or tales of regalia.
That quintessential spark is alive and well and indeed is essential in every definition of that word.
Yes, perhaps it is essence, after all.

YouSir

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join