It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indianapolis Bakery Refuses To Bake Gay Cupcakes

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   
They didnt put a "no gays" sign up, they just refused to take a job. Its done all the time for a myriad of reasons with contract work. If that's all there is too it then it doesn't matter.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkrunner

Originally posted by davespanners
reply to post by Darkrunner

No infact you cant there is a federal law preventing you from refusing service to people on the basis of discrimination

The Federal Civil Rights Act guarantees all people the right to "full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, and accommodations of any place of public accommodation, without discrimination or segregation on the ground of race, color, religion, or national origin."

You are also not allowed to refuse service to people without a good reason on arbitrary grounds

a California court decided that a restaurant owner could not refuse to seat a gay couple in a semi-private booth where the restaurant policy was to only seat two people of opposite sexes in such booths. There was no legitimate business reason for the refusal of service, and so the discrimination was arbitrary and unlawful.

link

Yes they can refuse to make the cupcakes. When they received the order and saw what it was for, they simply say, "Can't do it, too busy. So sorry."

They can also refuse to serve you based on the way you look or how you dress, if they feel it's inappropriate.

Back to the OP, not wanting their daughters exposed to homosexuality based on religious beliefs would not be "arbitrary grounds".

Now if they had just said "We hate faggots and aren't going to serve them.", then you may have a point.

edit on 30-9-2010 by Darkrunner because: add

Sometimes people lack the spine to plainly state their views. Afraid of breaking the rules. Better to couch their rhetoric than face any consequences.

edit on 30-9-2010 by 23refugee because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Aren't cupcakes inherently gay to begin with? I don't see them serving cupcakes at football games, or strip clubs. When you see a dude eating a cupcake, even the straightest guy in the world, he looks gay at the time. And I'm confused by the daughter reasoning too, do they grill their parents about every batch of cupcakes they make? Did they want pictures of dudes kissing on them? Just tell them "somebody ordered some cupcakes, go do your homework and get out of my face". All that said, if it is their business, they have the right to refuse service. Hopefully they lose more business than they gain for being such intolerant douchebags.

edit on 30-9-2010 by 27jd because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 12:19 AM
link   
I just wanna say that I'm very glad to see the many responses from people who are defending the stores right to refuse to do business with someone. This is reminiscent of the whole hoopla about Rand Paul defending a restaurants right to refuse to serve someone based on their skin color. What do the people such as the OP who were quick to call the store owners bigots (wow, hardly bigots I'd say. They apparently had two impressionable young daughters they're looking out for. I support that to the fullness) suggest we do? Force store owners to serve whoever we tell them to? That sounds like a fun society to live in...The government will tell me how to run my business? No thanks.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jedimind
I just wanna say that I'm very glad to see the many responses from people who are defending the stores right to refuse to do business with someone.

Let me make it clear - - I do not support what these people did or why they did it. Their children are not in harms way because of gay people.

I have a 10 year old granddaughter and our housemate is gay. She is not harmed in anyway by knowing a gay person.

She asked: "Does gay mean a guy is attracted to guys and women are attracted to women?" We said yes. At which point she matter-of-factly responded "Thought so" - - - and ran outside to play.

There have been 5 deaths in the last 3 weeks from teens committing suicide because of people like this. And a couple more who have been physically harmed by school bullies.

So NO! I do not give these people a pass.

But I still understand individual rights.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Jedimind

They are bigots. I support their right to be a bigot, if you click on the drop down menu in my mini profile, you can read all my statements on the topic, and I clearly stated I support private business rights to refuse service to anyone for any reason and also to run the business how they see fit.

I do not appreciate being misrepresented, when a simple reading of my posts will set you straight.

They are bigots, what does that have to do with my opinion?

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Quick, everyone order gay cupcakes at shops that sell just cookies.

They are discriminating if they refuse.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 02:14 AM
link   
The owners are, how can I possibly say this nicely (?), F-ing idiots.

NEVER LET FOOD AND POLITICS MIX.

It's right up there with the Hypocratic Oath that doctors take: (paraphrasing) "No matter what, DO NO HARM."

The same goes for cooking. Cook out of love. OR... Cook to make money. DO NOT: cook with a political, religious or *sanctimonious* agenda.

They crossed the line and are not what AMERICA is truly about. They will face the rebound (in triplicate) of the negative karma they created.

Just my thoughts. If this were, say, Olive Garden, it would be comparible to Olive Garden refusing to serve an obviously GAY couple. I'm not gay. Yet I know this is WRONG.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 03:11 AM
link   
I'm fine with the business deciding to serve who they want, but the reason they chose not to make a rainbow cupcake is bothersome. If the customers didn't explain to the seller why they originally wanted the cupcakes with a rainbow, and instead gave a false reason, I bet the sellers would have made the cupcakes.

Speaking of which, I wonder if this store would make cupcakes with swastika symbols on top if it was explained that in the ancient Hindu religion it meant good luck and fortune.

edit on 1-10-2010 by arbitrarygeneraiist because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-10-2010 by arbitrarygeneraiist because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 03:17 AM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

In my opinon,

Make the damn cupcakes - you facists

But then again, being a carpenter, would I do work for a guy who sacrificed babies? Hmm maybe...

Maybe the point here is just ordering the cupcakes and not divulging the details and their purpose, surely more information must have been given then just "I need 20 rainbow cupcakes please" - Perhaps this is the info that made him protest...

But then again, make the damn cup cakes, you facist.

Woe to the conquered, we are equal now.

-G

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 03:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jedimind
I just wanna say that I'm very glad to see the many responses from people who are defending the stores right to refuse to do business with someone. This is reminiscent of the whole hoopla about Rand Paul defending a restaurants right to refuse to serve someone based on their skin color. What do the people such as the OP who were quick to call the store owners bigots (wow, hardly bigots I'd say. They apparently had two impressionable young daughters they're looking out for. I support that to the fullness) suggest we do? Force store owners to serve whoever we tell them to? That sounds like a fun society to live in...The government will tell me how to run my business? No thanks.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Impressionable children my ass. What, children don't draw rainbows anymore? It isn't like homosexuality is a disease that's contagious by spreading the rainbow symbol around. I wonder if these parents are also scared of letting their daughters play with dolls, make up, and anything pink.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 03:25 AM
link   

If they choose to do that, they choose.
Here is what they choose - no freedom for people, and judgement on people.

Who are they to judge?

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 03:29 AM
link   
How stupid. These people are morons....I don't care if someone asked me to make cupcakes with two guys bumpin uglies on top of them, I'd do it. MONEY! MONEY! MONEY!

How stupid to think that rainbow cupcakes will leave an impression on their dear daughters. I suppose every time a rainbow appears after the rain they quickly shove a hand over their eyes? Ridiculous!

I suppose a better question is why is a bakery called, "Just Cookies" making ANY cupcakes? Perhaps they are both straight and gay cupcake haters?

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 04:00 AM
link   

This is in the end a private bakery as it is run and managed privately and in so they can serve whom they want, however it does not make it 'right' on all fronts. I find it rather amusing that there are some people so quick to get all high and mighty over such small things like 'rainbow colored cupcakes'. For petes sake its just rainbow colored cupcakes!
We get so many people jumping up for the right of the bakery to serve who they want, however in the end this is not at its core about the right of the bakery, its the mentality of it all. Some people are overly high and mighty over anything remotely gay or interracial or foreign. Really now? Are people that homophobic or extreme?

In anycase I do not understand the significance of this being news. Another overly reactive bigot? Right. Let me also add the gay muffin and cup cake industry is a multi-million dollar industry... what happened to fiscal conservativism? I guess morals and social conservatives always trump fiscal conservativism at the end of the day. Its always been that way ain't it?

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 04:03 AM
link   
from the article:

The controversy has prompted an Indianapolis radio station to hold a "Gay Cupcake Party" tomorrow. As of early yesterday, nearly 400 people had indicated that they planned to attend the event.

Read more: www.news.com.au... #ixzz1161EEL3t

Excellent! And maybe some tea parties can join in as well? Tea bags and cup cakes go hand in hand I tell ya.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 04:12 AM
link   

next stop hitler cupcakes and nazi rights?... cant beleive this is my first reply. i live in indiana and laugh at the thought that cupcakes make it on our morning news. i think those that will protest this should be productive and make a small business selling "gay cupcakes" it would creat jobs and satisfy those who are hungry for "gay cupcakes"

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gradius Maximus

In my opinon,

Make the damn cupcakes - you facists

But then again, being a carpenter, would I do work for a guy who sacrificed babies? Hmm maybe...

Maybe the point here is just ordering the cupcakes and not divulging the details and their purpose, surely more information must have been given then just "I need 20 rainbow cupcakes please" - Perhaps this is the info that made him protest...

But then again, make the damn cup cakes, you facist.

Woe to the conquered, we are equal now.

-G

The busisness does not make cupcakes. They are Just Cookies.

Edit to add, it's not about "rainbows or rainbow colors", imo. It's probably about the Dad fearing his daughters might see same sex kissing or something like that. He seems to have a fear that he needs to deal with. Who care's if he is narrow minded?
I can bet the true gays could care less about this. I'm sure it's no big deal to them, now they know where not to take their money.

sl

edit on 1-10-2010 by sweetliberty because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 05:03 AM
link   
I just got evolved enough to accept gay people and now I have to accept gay cupcakes? C'mon! Give a guy a chance to keep up!

On the other hand...

Wouldn't the gay folks rather spend their money at a bakery that actually makes cupcakes? And further, one that actually respects its customers enough to entertain special requests?

I used to have really long hair (I know, totally different, but bear with me here...) and there were a couple of businesses where people seemed to treat me badly because of it. My answer? I took my business elsewhere.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 05:07 AM
link   
Wow, this was declassified impressively fast. I wonder what kinda of repercussions we will see due to this conspiracy.

I.E: this is ATS not Yahoo news.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 05:11 AM
link   
The Owners have their right to serve who they wish. Not everyone supports the gay issue. Simply go to another bakery and order the cup caked instead of making a fuss about it. I meen theres no hetero sexual colors or parades. Such a big fuss that a baker did not want to use some rainbow colours. lol. I think SOME gays should grow up. Ive been refused in places for no reason im not gay. Go some place else.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join