It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indianapolis Bakery Refuses To Bake Gay Cupcakes

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by peck420

Is it wrong of the lease holder in this case to demand the terms of the lease be adhered to?

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

Stating my belief that boycotts are an excellent way to show disapproval in a civil situation is not the same as calling for a boycott. Don't accuse me of sensationalism when you do it too.

Glad to see you are finally acknowledging you said it.
I have no problem with boycotts.
My problem is when there are so few facts out there AND the business is under investigation AND without knowing the whole story........ people want to cut off the income of small businesses. Cast a shadow of their name.

This whole time I've said they might be in the wrong. How about we let them hang themselves before we destroy their income, their names.
Why are you picking and choosing who has the Right to be innocent until proven otherwise?

If I sensationalize, it's when I try to explain that people are abusing the power of the internet.
Can you not see how targeting someone has caused suicides? The mob mentality? The hate agenda? Surly you can see it now?

First, the PTB will allow us to continue to abuse the internet.
When enough JUDGMENTAL ignorant hypocrites destroy the lives of others, then TPTB will censor our internet.
I have to admit, they WILL have a good excuse too.

Can you not see how this is yet another way to destroy small businesses (over-bashing them while it's all still pending)? Grow Big Government!

I also ask, can you not see how you and others are dismissing the Rights of other American's? By dismissing their rights to a fair trial/meeting what ever you want to call it..... you are also claiming you do not recognize The Constitution through you strong actions towards American's and yet we haven't heard the final decision.

As far as I've noticed, you are the only poster on here using the word "hate" against gays, for example, Christians hate gays, or the business owner "hates" gays.
The business owner might be ignorant about gays and equal rights but putting words into people's mouths such as the word "hating gays" is just completely wrong since you have so very little to go on.
I've NEVER hated Muslims, but I was ignorant about Muslims.

All hate does is spread anger, contempt towards groups instead of individuals. The reality is it is the individual who is a bigot NOT the group just because they are a part of a group.

I'm tired so I hope this makes sense.
sl

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Aboslutely not!

However, that is contractual law, not bigotry.

If Just Cookies signed, in their lease, to follow all Indianoplois laws (including anti-discriminatory laws), then they are bound by the contract they willingly signed.

Under that pretext, they should get the boot.

I don't sign any contracts that I don't plan on following. Bad business. If I sign a contract with anti discriminatory clauses, then my pride and beliefs go in my pocket, and if I don't want my children around it, they go home.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by peck420

Aboslutely not!

However, that is contractual law, not bigotry.

If Just Cookies signed, in their lease, to follow all Indianoplois laws (including anti-discriminatory laws), then they are bound by the contract they willingly signed.

Under that pretext, they should get the boot.

I don't sign any contracts that I don't plan on following. Bad business. If I sign a contract with anti discriminatory clauses, then my pride and beliefs go in my pocket, and if I don't want my children around it, they go home.

This is exactly how they should have handled it.
I read that they have been their 20 years, it is a month to month lease. Knowing this, I have to wonder if the Dad is a "new" Christian and hasn't figured out a balance or if he has been a Christian for a long time, has his views been dismissed by gays many times, if he has refused service to gays before now.

I do hope the truth comes out and it's dealt with accordingly and maturely.

sl

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by peck420
reply to post by Annee

All of the 2,470 entries that came up in google when searching for just cookies boycott to start.

Any of the users on here calling for boycotts.

Take your pick.

The second we "demand" someone or something to change, we have become intolerant of their views just as much as they are intolerant of ours.

Might be why there is such a hard time ending intolerence.

Discrimination SHOULD NOT be swept under the rug.

Which is what you are suggesting.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater
reply to post by jheated5

Um why wouldnt we still be on the cupcake thing? This is the thread for it.

I just thought the same as he did when I checked on this thread and saw it was on page 18.. You and Annee are riding this one to the last drop. Over what - gays and cupcakes.

Of my list of 50 things to worry about, gays and cupcakes are at about 749.

So have at it and let the rest of us deal with the major problems this country is facing. And it ain't rainbow cupcakes no matter how hard you try.
edit on 6-10-2010 by Oldnslo because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-10-2010 by Oldnslo because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by sweetliberty

I said it, I never had to nor did I deny saying it. I never called for a boycott.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Oldnslo

You prefer thread starters to shoot their load and run, never looking back?

Why are you even posting in this thread giving it another bump just to say this?

Gay rights, and private business rights are very important topics to SOME of us here at ATS.

There are plenty of threads here pick one you do like then.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Thank you for pointing out that other organized religions are just an odious in their bigotry as Xians. I appreiate it.

HBT, you never wanted to debate this issue in the first place, still don't.
Statements like that only prove your true agenda for bringing this issue to our attention.

As far as switching to Xians, it is shorthand
You sound more and more like the Dad who refused to serve gay people!
So being lazy is ok, being intentionally rude with the labels is worth it? Is that debating?
If you have any more excuses please keep them to yourself. I hope one day you realize the labels you spew out onto others are actually what you are at this time in your life.

Big deal, and it still does not change the FACTS in this case that I have been debating, in particular the father's own statement. If he had kept his mouth shut, none of us would even be here in this thread.

So now it's the "father's" fault for you deciding to make a hate thread for the momentary pleasure of making him and other Christians appear to hate gays? Maybe it's your mouth and not his that is causing this thread to stay alive.

I know you're going to make excuses, turning me, the Dad, the Christians, and partcipating members into the bad guys but it's your "mouth" that has this thread alive

In your own words

I like to write in an attention grabbing manner.

I go for reaction and emotion a lot of times, it is a device used by those who enjoy debating to get the debate going, engage in lively discussion what have you.

Mission accomplished there sweetie. You have our attention, you had the reaction and emotion for a while there but now it's time to get real. Lets get to debating then

Your really cool and I truly have no problem with you... so please STOP giving out such great ammo against yourself, lol.
If you are unable to debate this particular subject, then just say so, I don't think anyone would fault you for that.

One last thing, your post to oldnslo, awesome, why not debate like that? Wow.

Thanks
sl

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Oldnslo

I just thought the same as he did when I checked on this thread and saw it was on page 18.. You and Annee are riding this one to the last drop. Over what - gays and cupcakes.

So have at it and let the rest of us deal with the major problems this country is facing. And it ain't rainbow cupcakes no matter how hard you try

Gee - and I thought Human Rights / Equality / Discrimination were very important and a major issue. My bad.

Size / Content - - irrelevant.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Hang on, wasn't it determined on page 1 that the store didn't make cupcakes?

Hrmm.

So... for outrage sake, I can walk into a Pizza Hut, demand I get a shepherds pie, and when they refuse to sell me one, I can claim they are bigoted towards white males with beards.

I shall expect an 18 page thread dedicated to my insult.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by Oldnslo

So have at it and let the rest of us deal with the major problems this country is facing. And it ain't rainbow cupcakes no matter how hard you try

Gee - and I thought Human Rights / Equality / Discrimination were very important and a major issue. My bad.

Size / Content - - irrelevant.

Oh but Size /Content is very much relevant indeed Annee

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by sweetliberty

Is there a
Wink with that big satisfied grin?

Are we goin' off topic - just a stretch?

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by badw0lf

Hrmm.

So... for outrage sake, I can walk into a Pizza Hut, demand I get a shepherds pie, and when they refuse to sell me one, I can claim they are bigoted towards white males with beards.

That's been covered.

Read the thread.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by sweetliberty

Is there a
Wink with that big satisfied grin?

Are we goin' off topic - just a stretch?

Yup, there's a wink there

Off topic momentarily to chill out, yes. Were not just on here to piss and moan about those damn christians, or gays lol.
My stance is it's the individual, not the group they might be a part of.
If the owner, David Stockton, refused to serve a customer who is gay, simply because he gay, then it's the individual, the owner, who has the problem, not Christians.

Christians have come a long way but they still get a bad wrap. I'm not saying ALL Christians but many understand we are to live and let live, love and let love. My truth is God does not force himself on anyone, it's people who force God or His beliefs onto people.

We live in a society with the mentality of entitlement. A society that no longer takes responsibility for their own actions. We blame gays or christians or democrats, well actually it is the democrats fault
jk
Oh yeah, we blame the devil too!

I've heard gays demean women with my own ears. Does that mean all gays think negative towards women? No.
HBT was worse than David Stockton could ever think of being, lmao. Does that mean all hot taters are attention getting motor mouths? Nope.
There is a thread on here of an artist who painted Jesus in a way that he knew would give him (the artist) attention. Not all artists need gimmicks to gain fame/infamy, money, or maybe the artist thrives on negative emotions, or whatever the case might be.
The individual has their own demons to deal with but instead they prefer to make someone else or a group look bad or ugly, it's easier, then we don't have to deal with our own little lives, issues.

If David Stockton is in fact discriminating and it's not just a "we don't serve cupcakes, just cookies" then the truth is, imo, he can't face his own demons. He's the only one who can figure that out.
If he has to relocate, I hope he realizes it's he and not a gay group who caused him to relocate.
Lease or no lease, I thought it was universal for those who serve the public do it with a smile, do it for repeat business.
Here's a thought, maybe gay money is easier to tear or flake
Get it, flake......
I have gay friends and if they heard that, they would either laugh or call me a silly name.
Don't get me wrong, I have my individual limits too. Like I don't want to see men kissing on each other or rubbing each other's rears ect.
Ewwwww!
Yea, call it what you will

sl

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by badw0lf

Hrmm.

That's been covered.

Read the thread.

Uggg, I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by 23refugee

Originally posted by Aeons
I demand that the Jewish and Muslim Butcher let my guide dog in and hack me up some bacon.

No?

Oh.

Jewish or Muslim Butcher won't sell you bacon?
No problem.
Jewish or Muslim Butcher won't let you and your guide dog in?
Problem.
Laws that prevent the blind person and their dog from being discriminated against trump the religious rights of the butchers. Doesn't make the blind guy a bigot.

Ah, but in this example not hacking me up some bacon based on one's religious principles IS bigotry in exactly the same way not baking up hot-same-sex-muffins is.

(I still am flabbergasted that muffins can be gay. I had no idea. I knew people liking muffins when they already have them is, but gay muffins was new to me.)

edit on 2010/10/6 by Aeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

The example differs from the scenario being discussed.
The butchers don't sell bacon (cupcakes) to anyone.
They do, however, sell lamb ( made to order cookies).
If lamb customers failing to meet a religious requirement results in no business transaction, that's bigotry.
The butchers don't have to sell bacon, but they do have to sell lamb to everyone, even a blind guy and his dog.
If religion bars you from participation in a free and civil society, the onus should be on you to seperate yourself.
Voting yourself into a protected class, while voting to keep your idealogical opponents out of said class, to ensure that your brand of discrimination continues lawfully is neither free nor civil.
Using a religious freedom that you have actively denied to others as both a shield and a sword is surely immoral on some level.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Okay - I want lamb. But I don't want you to say prayers over it, nor do I want you to slit its throat to bleed it dry while its conscious or even stunned.

I'm a meat practices activist. I eat meat and eggs, but I expect better facilities and humane handling. Partial stunning of live animals and then slitting their throat to bleed them dry with a pumping heart is nasty.

So, I want you to sell me lamb. And I don't met your religious requirement.

If you don't sell me the lamb, you are a bigot.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

No, they just dont have non halal(or haram) lamb, that is all.

new topics

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20 >>

join