It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ADHD 'Is Passed On Through The Genes'

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
That is a TERRIBLY misleading article. What the research found was just this:

366 ADHD children were studied
1047 non-ADHD children were studied

In the ADHD group, 15% had the genetic condition in question
In the non-ADHD group, 7% had the genetic condition in question

This appears to indicate some link between the genetic condition and ADHD.

I'm, personally not sure what to conclude from this. The newspapers/sites seem to be concluding stufff way beyond what those stats imply.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by 27jd

Thank you tons for the advice!

However, I actually enjoy the hour wait. I have grown to use it as my "meditation time".

Either way, off to check your recommendation!

Topicness--
Sorry, I can't seem to think of any.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

You know not of what you speak Sky. ADHD is very real and it IS passed through genes. My mother was "hyper", I was "hyper" and now my youngest was diagnosed with ADHD. I've known this for years, now we have scientific proof of it.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   
OMFG, how is this so hard for people to grasp?

1. ADHD is a disease that is classified by a wide range of general dysfunctions.
2. Like any other diseases, there are multiple genetic propensities AND environmental triggers involved.
3. Genetics don't work in a vacuum. They are continuously interacting with our environmental terrain to be expressed or not. This is what the study of epigenetics is about.
4. Just because you have ADHD, doesn't mean you should or should not take pharmaceuticals. It doesn't mean that this is or isn't your natural, permanent state of being. It doesn't mean much, other than you have been generalized to fit within this box of abnormal behavior, and further investigation is needed.

Stop being ignorant, people. To say that ADHD doesn't exist, is to say that science is unfounded, and has no basis in reality. It's incredibly stupid. We have devised a means to assess peoples behavior in general, which enables us to further evaluate the human mind and come up with solutions for detrimental behaviors to all: the individual, the family, and society as a whole.

Grow up, people.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by d60944
That is a TERRIBLY misleading article. What the research found was just this:

366 ADHD children were studied
1047 non-ADHD children were studied

In the ADHD group, 15% had the genetic condition in question
In the non-ADHD group, 7% had the genetic condition in question

This appears to indicate some link between the genetic condition and ADHD.

I'm, personally not sure what to conclude from this. The newspapers/sites seem to be concluding stufff way beyond what those stats imply.

That doesn't show some link, it shows a huge link. That's what .. a +214% increase?

Furthermore, what this shows is that more than one gene is involved, which anyone who studies genetics should know that very, very few diseases come down to just one gene.

edit on 30-9-2010 by unityemissions because: like to link

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about. There is no test that you can do "you have adhd / you don't have it". It is always an inrerpretation. Show me one adhd patient that has been cured by adhd medicine.

The whole idea that medicine is just about curing diseases has gone out the window a long time ago, and we should already change how we see medicine in general. If you would like benzos because you are shy and you are supposed to make a speech for instance, you do not have any disorder but strangely enough there is some diagnostics code for it and you are labeled sick. It should be just be called what it is, a way to help you achieve a task. Just as caffeine is a way to help you achieve a task.

edit on 2010-9-30 by above because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by above

I have no idea what I'm talking about, yet you do?

You liken adhd to being shy now ...

I think you've already showed your ignorance for everyone with half a brain.

Originally posted by above
You clearly have no idea what you are talking about. There is no test that you can do "you have adhd / you don't have it". It is always an inrerpretation. Show me one adhd patient that has been cured by adhd medicine.

edit on 2010-9-30 by above because: (no reason given)

That IS the test, fool.

Look at an IQ TEST. It's proctored, and open to interpretation by a professional. It's the exact same. More faulty reasoning by the denialists.

edit on 30-9-2010 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by 27jd

My 8 year old son also takes Strattera. He was diagnosed in kindergarten as ADHD. I refused to believe it, at first. I thought I could discipline him more, play with him more, read to him more. I thought there had to be something I could do, but I was convinced otherwise once he started taking the meds. The change in him was tremendous!!! It sucks, but until someone has first hand experience with a hyper active child they should SHUT UP!! It really makes sense to me because I had a hard time growing up. I was always being told to focus and apply myself, and I came from a very strictly disciplined home. It was not a behavior issue. I am now learning from my aunts' that my father was extremely hyper as a child too - in the 1950's. So I can totally see the genetic link. I don't see why so many people associate ADD/ADHD with bad parenting. It's so ridiculous.
Oh, I also tell my son constantly that he has to learn to control his impulses and his urges. That he has to really try to remember to think things through and not just react. And that he has to learn self-control. I don't see the medication as a long term solution, but for now - it is a necessity.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   

....ADHD is not a disease.....but as an ADHD medicine (constantly) they are widely used, and are among the best....

i certainly can appreciate that ADHD medications have a recreational use. but...

IF the person has a PFC dopamine dysfunction, which is most certainly a heritable trait, then the DA reuptake inhibitors will often have the OPPOSITE effect.

whereas if YOU take a bunch of those pills you will become quite stimulated, when a person with such a dysfunction takes them they actually become calmer....sometimes to the point of drowsiness.

@ Skyfloating = i was actually offended by your post. the more i learn, the more i become convinced that there is very nearly NO part of our physical and mental characteristics that are NOT genetically regulated. i dislike when genetics becomes an excuse, but i equally dislike when people use genetics as the "explanation of last resort".

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   

What you are asking for here is obviously not possible. You can't trap me.

What has been seen in many instances is that people who have taken adhd medication may be able to come off it a relatively short time after words and no longer have their previous symptoms. The same happens for some people who don't take the medications at all. Some simply grow out of this naturally, and some don't. It is impossible with our current technology to say with any confidence that the medications have cured anyone. What they have obviously done to some people, and their families, and society as a whole is to help them cope, and get on with being productive.

You still seem to be thinking from within the box that those labeled with ADHD must be treated/cured with pharmaceuticals. That's your ignorance, not mine.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
My friend,

Originally posted by intrepid
reply to post by Skyfloating

You know not of what you speak Sky. ADHD is very real and it IS passed through genes. My mother was "hyper", I was "hyper" and now my youngest was diagnosed with ADHD. I've known this for years, now we have scientific proof of it.

I have been loking after my nephew fro the past years and he suffers from ADHD, though his brothers and sisters do not, thus making your claim of passed through genes obselete. Infact, he has been the only one, out of the whole history of his family to be diagnosed with it.

That said, I cured him by removing greasy chip shop food, red meats, crisps and chocolate [unless it real chocolate with at least 80% of cocoa in it, but only as a treat. Another removal was all sugery foods, factory processed foods, tinned food, and only fed him with foods high in nutrients, potatoes, Salmon veg etc which he loves.

I work with children with BESD as a Care worker who have diagnosed the same, only to change their diet and see intstant and rewarding results.

in my line of wor, the term ADHD has bee replace with BESD - behavoural, emotional,social desorder ]

I believe ADHD is used by doctors and wha not to spread something thats not true, at all, but easy for them to diagnose without hands on experience, instead of reading it from their manuals they keep reveering to written by people who haven:t a clue to research themselevs, sheeple rollseyes:

Be safe and be well

Spiro

edit on 30-9-2010 by Spiro because: added more info

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   

I have ADHD too! And I agree with you!

(Hey that rhymed!)

No test, none at all. There are test(s) that help them classify you, but they are not 100% tests like a test for AIDS or something.

Heh, gotta love crutches! I gave mine up long ago.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
I dislike seeing labels put on kids - however with that said my grandson is said to have ADHD. The biggest problem we have had with him is disrupting the classroom and not being able to read. He is very able to remember lessons from science, history, etc but even with years of tutoring he cannot not read past 1st grade level. What I wanted to point out was that his Father cannot read and I am told he had the same type of problems in school. He has a good job as a transmission mechanic but his boss is not a nice man, he has stayed on this job for 16 years out of fear of not being able to fill out an application somewhere else. Perhaps there is something to be said for ADHD being genetic. BTW he has 2 other daughters and they are honor students.

edit on 30-9-2010 by crazydaisy because: remove word

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spiro
I have been loking after my nephew fro the past years and he suffers from ADHD, though his brothers and sisters do not, thus making your claim of passed through genes obselete. Infact, he has been the only one, out of the whole history of his family to be diagnosed with it.

Really?

That said, I cured him by removing greasy chip shop food, red meats, crisps and chocolate [unless it real chocolate with at least 80% of cocoa in it, but only as a treat. Another removal was all sugery foods, factory processed foods, tinned food, and only fed him with foods high in nutrients, potatoes, Salmon veg etc which he loves.

Cured ADHD? Nope. That just tells me that he didn't have ADHD, was misdiagnosed. My argument still stands. It's passed on genetically.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
If my dad's generation had adhd, nobody ever would have known about it. 90% of Americans lived on a farm. The kids had to get up early enough to milk 30 cows by hand and then walk to school. In the summer there was plenty of weeds to ho and in the fall there were crops to get in, firewood to chop and food to can on the wood cookstove. My grandpa ran a tight ship and knew how to use a razor strap. Every one of his kids turned out alright. He even has a couple who are millionaires.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I dont believe in ADHD.. I think if your kid has alot of energy put his ass in sports or give him a tiring hobby.. All the millions of kids taking meds to fight "ADHD" are gonna be messed up in the head when they are mature..

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Spiro

Good for you!

You have successfully treated your nephew's ADHD, and if he sticks to this protocol, it seems likely that he will essentially be cured.

You're very fortunate that the cause was found out so easily. This does seem to happen in some cases, but in others their seems to be too many faults/causes/triggers to adequately treat.

Some people have actual organic brain damage that doesn't repair, and no amount of dieting can help. Although they may still be classified as an ADHD, nothing will help them, and it does not stem from a genetic component (unless it does and hadn't yet been presented!).

Congrats!

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by donteventrip

I don't believe in grass, does that make it not real?

Though I can accept your highly researched (right?) opinion, I am cool like that.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by hardamber

Exactly, the world wasn't anywhere near as stimulating as it is now. That's why this is so new, with the technology overload, we're seeing that some kids learn differently than others. Until schools are able to meet the needs of ALL learning styles, some children now need medications, or they are left in the dust since school only caters to one learning style, which I've noticed is more geared for females, males tend to suffer ADD symptoms alot more, it seems.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by christine76

Yeah, Strattera isn't a stimulant at all. And it really does help my son out. The doctor asked if we wanted to increase the dose, and we said no, he's fine. I don't want him taking alot, he only takes 10 mg a day, which is the lowest dose.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join