It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Questions about this new thread look.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 03:10 AM
link   
Hi guys, I have to say this new thread layout does look decent, but there are a few problems I need to point out. I'm using the latest version of Firefox. Here is a screenshot I took to make it easier to understand what I'm talking about.

The first two things I immediately noticed was that my signature space isn't as tall, but my mini-profile area has been widened. Is that going to stay like that, will everyone need to edit their signature and mini-background?

The other two things was the stuffed up flag button, only if you have flagged the thread. And as you can see the mini-background doesn't go all the way down some times.

Oh, and what happened to the handy list of top, active, and new threads which were to the top right?

edit on 30/9/10 by CHA0S because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 05:06 AM
link   
I miss seeing all the latest or most active threads that used to be to the right of the page,too.

It used to make it so easy to see what was going on - any chance that they might come back? Please.

edit on 30-9-2010 by berenike because: Added a word

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 05:18 AM
link   
I still got that options.

Maybe cause I am using an older internet explorer?

VVV

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 06:32 AM
link   
I just wanted to add all the exact same problems are happening when I try to use IE 8 to browse ATS.

EDIT: And I had one other random question, I can see all our stats have been added to our mini-profiles. For instance, mine says this right now:

P1943 F1081 S3370 W18

What is the last one, W?

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 06:39 AM
link   
All these changes .... UGH .... I can't freak'n keep up.

And it's only going to get worse as I get older. YIKES!

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
And it's only going to get worse as I get older. YIKES!

Enjoy it while you're still a spring chicken!

IRM

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by CHA0S

Oh, and what happened to the handy list of top, active, and new threads which were to the top right?

I think they are now in the 'New Topics+' link. It was handy having them down the right hand side. I used those links more than anything to navigate to what was hot on the forum. I kinda miss them too... but we must embrace the change. I'm sure we'll get used to doing things a new way.

IRM

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

I do admire your willingness to accept these changes, and since I have known you on here for a few years I don't want to offend you, but C'MON! I love the irony in this forum..

It seems the message on ATS is that if TPTB try to do something or change something we must stop it! Yet when TPTB of this forum do the same thing (forcing this new layout on us) we, or at least you, simply accept it and tell others to aswell.
Contradicting much?

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by CHA0S

I think most of the issues you raise have been addressed in the ATS 2010 Updates Thread. Discussion of the new thread layouts starts on page 32.

The W stands for WATS, or Way Above Top Secret. It's an index that reflects how many stars and flags we have and is used to generate the "Top 50 Members" list as a way (I think) of highlighting some of the best/most popular content the site has to offer.

Specifically, it's calculated as W = (flags * stars)/200000

SkepticOverlord mentioned in the Updates Thread that he's working on a show/hide solution to bring back the sidebar links to new/flagged/popular threads that some of us miss in the new layout.

I get the feeling the avatar and signature areas are still under construction. There will be new avatar size restrictions, but he has said that will be slowly phased in to allow us time to adjust. And the signature sizes were different yesterday (much too much space down below the post, in my opinion).

edit on 9/30/2010 by americandingbat because: to add a link

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by americandingbat

But why change the avatar and mini-backgrounded sizes!!! Aggghhhh...it makes no sense at all...people have spent a lot of time making avatars and mini-bg's etc for the old size. And now everything in my signature needs to be changed as well, and I only updated it the other day. Not to mention all the members that no longer use ATS, their older posts will look messed up. It's best to stick with what they have been using IMO. Why are these slight modifications in size necessary? They cause nothing but hassles...*shakes fist*...

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nventual
reply to post by InfaRedMan

It seems the message on ATS is that if TPTB try to do something or change something we must stop it! Yet when TPTB of this forum do the same thing (forcing this new layout on us) we, or at least you, simply accept it and tell others to aswell.
Contradicting much?

LOL! Sometimes change is hard. It can be a shock, but that doesn't mean that all change is bad. Change is also good. It often depends on our personal perspectives. It's a subjective thing. Truth is that the ATS web site couldn't stay as it was is forever. Change is inevitable mate! In any case, most of the changes are of a purely aesthetic nature. You will warm to it eventually Nventual. Just give it a chance.

IRM

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Mate I have no problem with ATS wanting to change its design and all that, what I have a problem with is that I have no way to choose. CHOICE is an important thing in life and when it's not there you feel very constricted. All I ask is to be able to choose what layout I want.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   
At first I was not very happy with the new lay-out and all of the changes, but I have since gotten used to them. I think it's just a matter of being used to something and not liking it when it changes, at least for me.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by peewee1263

Hehe, for me I was really against it but then I was okay with it, now more has changed and I'm against it again.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   
I'm not saying I dislike the new design, it's fine. I don't really care about the removal of the top, new and active lists because the extra width is good. However, I'm just pointing out that changing the width and heights of crucial aspects (sig and mini-profile) by minimal amounts isn't worth the trouble. And if some one tells me the mini-backgrounds no longer go all the way down on purpose...I will cry...that was one of my favorite features of these forums, it's very unique...it looks rather stupid as it is, so please let it be a bug.

EDIT: And one last piece of advice, each post seems spaced apart (height wise) a little too far. I don't know, maybe it's just me, but it doesn't seem to look right. Just make the mini-bg's go all the way down and I'll be happy.

edit on 30/9/10 by CHA0S because: spelling

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I got to be honest with you I like the changes, although they take a little getting used to. How do you add people as friends now the task bar has disappeared under their name. A change is as good as a rest don't forget.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by franspeakfree

You can still go to their profile and friend or foe. What I've noticed is that we haven't got the friend and foe tags on the avatars 'in-thread'. I hope that gets re-implemented.

IRM

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   
CHECK IT OUT! To the right! It's like a super version of the old - new, active and top thread list! That ticks one box! Now if only those BG's would go all the way down, it really bugs me to be honest.
Oh, and the flag box still seems to be having problems, but I'm sure it's being looked into.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Please post issues with the new layout on the proper thread: ATS 2010 Updates thread.

Closed.

top topics

join