It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Refers to Illegal Aliens as ‘Us’ As He Renews Call for Amnesty

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 02:02 AM
link   
President Barack Obama referred to illegal aliens in the United States as “us” on Tuesday while renewing his call for giving them a “pathway to citizenship”—an amnesty--and castigating opponents of such an amnesty as demagogues.

Obama’s made the statement at what the White House billed as a “backyard discussion” at a private home in Albuquerque, New Mexico. It came in the midst of a 754-word answer he gave in response to a woman who asked: “How do you envision a comprehensive immigration reform as one measure towards America’s economic recovery and long-term vitality?”

President Barack Obama addresses an invited group of guest at the home of Andy Cavalier, Tuesday, Sept. 28, 2010 in Albuquerque, N.M.

Source: www.cnsnews.com...

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Referring to illegal aliens as 'us'?

How globalist can BHO be?

The amnesty agenda for the illegal aliens is on the table, in preparation for the formation of the North American Union, which will facilitate the importation and employment of slave labor in corporate-owned factories, beneficial to the corporate-governmental complex.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 02:14 AM
link   
I am not an Obama fan, as I think he is a puppet of the global elite...That being said, i have always thought the phrase 'Illegal Alien' was disgusting and dehumanizing...The phrase used to be 'Displaced Person', and before that, as most of our ancestors were referred to, simply 'Immigrants'.

Maybe it is time to take down the plaque on the Statue of Liberty...

“Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”

The current climate towards undocumented citizens sure doesn't support this invitation...

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 03:11 AM
link   
Isn't funny that almost overnight everybody in the United States started hating hispanics. I'm sorry but really you can see the mass hypnosis everywhere. A year and a half ago the whole of The United States was all about getting rid Al-qaida since then we have had several attempted attacks and several U.S soldiers killed. My point is the immigration problem has been going on for years and as a matter of fact i have lived in Tucson Az, for 29 years and really it has never been a problem. It is not a warzone like the media reports and most of the shootings here are done by U.S citizens. I have a suggestion to all, shut off your TV read a book and dont believe the hype. Everybody say's that "we need to take this country back" but who ever gave it to us in the first place? The native Americans in the regions of the southwest acctually come from some Tribes that settled in south america and mexico so in essence the Yaqui, tohono's, apache, and others migrated north from mexico and were connetected to either aztec, or mayan tribes in the past. Ask any Native American and they will tell you the samething.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 03:28 AM
link   
reply to post by jambatrumpet

I'm not big on the phrase illegal immigrant either, but illegal immigration...that's a different story.

My biggest problem with illegal immigration is that we are creating a second-class citizenship. People make arguments about why they should be let in predicated with statements like 'they do jobs no one else will do.' Yea, they do jobs no one else will do, for the sh**y pay, conditions and benefits that go along with those jobs. Feed the multi-culturalist elements into this as well, and what do you have? Separate and hardly equal.

That being said, there needs to be an argument for letting them in not predicated on some perverse, if not mutually beneficial relationship. So there's the 'they're so poor and Mexico is so corrupt' argument. This is usually coupled with the Statue of Liberty speech.

Every democracy has a right to control the influx from surrounding areas. Popular sovereignty rests in part on the ability to be at least somewhat localized in your decision making process (voting). It's "We the People" that makes a democracy not "We are the World." Ironically people like to point to Ellis Island as some kind of high point in America's acceptance of immigrants. This is fairytale land.

An immigrant who chooses to come to this country legally has just as easy if not an easier time going through the process today than ever. Not only are we more tolerant today, there's plenty of alternative arrangements such as temporary worker status that didn't exist back then.

A mass influx of poor, non-English speaking, undocumented people is a massive public health, safety, and administration problem. In democracies/republics problems of this sort are solved by people and laws. I see no reason to be beholden to some engraving on a hundred-year-old statue as the defacto answer to any problem, especially one this large. We have laws and institutions that let us decide on our own what the proper course to take is.

Undocumented aliens are not citizens. If we decide its our prerogative to catch them and deport them then they should just wish their lucky stars that they weren't caught trying to illegally immigrate to just about anywhere in South America or Asia.

Many things have changed since the Statue of Liberty. For one we've built a welfare state that would have been unimaginable at the time. The voting-republic and representatives are responsible for administrating government programs that have to fairly and equally serve the citizens. Let the citizens and the representatives decide whether or not, and who, we let in to share our wealth. And if someone circumvents the system of laws that We the People have set up, ship 'em out.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by jambatrumpet
I am not an Obama fan, as I think he is a puppet of the global elite...That being said, i have always thought the phrase 'Illegal Alien' was disgusting and dehumanizing...The phrase used to be 'Displaced Person', and before that, as most of our ancestors were referred to, simply 'Immigrants'.

Maybe it is time to take down the plaque on the Statue of Liberty...

“Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”

The current climate towards undocumented citizens sure doesn't support this invitation...

At first I was tempted to agree with you, but then I thought about it for a second.

Does the current climate support that invitation? Sure it does. But only if you ENTER THROUGH LEGAL CHANNELS. If you show up, declare yourself, never lie to the authorities, then you are GOLDEN. Yes, there is a waiting list of several years, I believe, but that is because of entirely practical reasons - we're overcrowded, and we don't have enough jobs to support any more people at the moment.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 03:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Son of Will

I also think the bigger issue of this thread is that no matter how you view amnesty, an non-citizen is not 'us.' a non-citizen can never be 'us' until they are a citizen. the fact that the leader of the american people defines 'us' as non-citizens is pretty disturbing whether or not you feel amnesty should be given.

does he think this way about other outside influences? when people were shouting down his unpopular health care bill did he say 'yea but french citizens think its positive, so when you add that to my supporters then we want it.' WTF? us is us. nobody else but us is us. if you want amnesty to make other people 'us' then cool, what the f ever. but until that day, they're not us.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by ironfalcon
a “pathway to citizenship”—an amnesty--

A pathway to citizenship isn't amnesty.

Just like the DREAM act isn't amnesty.

I'd be proud to call anyone from another country a member of 'us'. We're all citizens of the world, borders are stupid.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 04:32 AM
link   
reply to post by links234

'us' will be the world as far as politics is concerned the day we have a democratic global governance. until that day referring to 'us' as humanity when it comes to politics is a wish for anarchy or tyranny.

further, i'm unaware that i was a 'citizen of the world.' when did my fellow 'citizens of the world' get together without me and constitute this new government? and what news source do i go to to get the latest news on the newest 'world laws' and when to pay my 'world taxes.' ah, you know what, screw it, who ever this 'world government' is they didn't have my consent so sorry, its illegitmate in my eyes.

just tell me what the 'world law' is about letting member of other sovereign states cross the boundaries of my sovereign state and i'll be sure to follow that. convenient how people who assume some universal 'world citizenship' always assume the broadest possible liberties are attached to our 'world citizenship' even when they break the laws of real life sovereign nations.

edit on 30-9-2010 by snusfanatic because: more

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by ironfalcon

I am always suspicious of those who make a claim in an OP...So and so said this...whithout providing the actual quote. It is a sure sign that someone is BSing.

I'll help you out here and provide the quote..

“Let’s provide a pathway to citizenship for those who are already here, understanding that they broke the law, so they’re going to have to pay a fine and pay back taxes and, I think, learn English, make sure that they don’t have a criminal record,” said Obama. “There are some hoops that they’re going to have to jump through, but giving them a pathway is the right thing to do
“Now, unfortunately, right now this is getting demagogued,” Obama said. “A lot of folks think it’s an easy way to score political points is by trying to act as if there’s a ‘them’ and an ‘us,’ instead of just an ‘us.’ And I’m always suspicious of politics that is dividing people instead of bringing them together. I think now is the time for us to come together.”

I agree with the statement whole-heartedly.

He acknowledges these people have broken the law. He explains if they want citizenship they must pay a fine for breaking the law, pay back taxes and in his opinion learn English...as well as not have any criminal record.

From there they will have to jump through hoops like anyone else waiting for citizenship.

As far as the Them vs. Us thing...enough already. They are human beings and the xenophobic political rhetoric of late has become nothing more than a campaign to dehumanize everyone that doesn't look or think like us. It's offensive to humanity and it's offensive to American principles.

THEY ARE US...That is what the bible teaches...that is what America the melting pot has always stood for. Enough with the xenophobic, racist, bigoted crap in this country. It sure as hell isn't christian, it sure as hell isn't American...

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by links234

Well alright, I say then that any country that has people immigrating here illegally, we should be able to force a tax on them to cover all it costs US.

Hmmm, then we can sing Koombyaaa my friends..........Koombyaaaa.

edit on 30-9-2010 by saltheart foamfollower because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   
wrong thread
Post removed.

edit on 30-9-2010 by maybereal11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Well, Obama has turn from the man of hope for the American people to the man of amnesty for illegals, free health care pay by the tax payer, (that is what he offered to them a week ago in another meeting) we know that most of this people will qualify for his public option Medicaid, he is forgetting that most of this people also are nothing but importers of poverty, to suck the already over stress system and tax payer.

Obama is now nothing but a whore for votes as he sees his own party losing congress very soon thanks to him and his forgotten promises to the American people.

I guess he think Latinos are in enough numbers to give him the presidential seat back again in the next presidential elections.

Dream on Obama.

Then again, we most sit, think and laugh because that is the same tactics that Bush did while trying to gain his seat back a second term, he went after the Evangelicals, Obama is after Latinos.

And the circus merry go around doesn't seem to slow down.

edit on 30-9-2010 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by maybereal11
I am always suspicious of those who make a claim in an OP...So and so said this...whithout providing the actual quote. It is a sure sign that someone is BSing.

Are we the only freaking two people who do that??? It's such a sign of political BS with someone takes ONE word out of context and builds a story around it.

I looked up the exact quote, too, and I completely agree with it.

He didn't refer to illegal immigrants as "us". He referred to PEOPLE as "us"... But, of course, that doesn't create the divide that political BSer want so badly to create!

reply to post by ironfalcon

Congratulations for buying AND spreading the BS.
Good job!

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

BH, Obama is now reaching to the Latino community in a desperation to gain votes, he is after all nothing but another politician, the problem is that after failing to deliver his campaign of hope tax payers will not listen, so Latinos are now its target.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

That may all be true. Most likely it's just an opinion, though. And contorting his words to illustrate or back up that opinion is lame.

Sure, go ahead and express what you think he's doing or whatever, but he DIDN'T refer to illegal immigrants as "us" as the OP alleges. It's just stupid politics and I'm sick of it.
ATS is better than this. Or it should be.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   
For anyone who wants to read what he really said, the full transcript is here.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Is not lame, it seems that most politicians in the west side of the nation are kissing up to Latinos, look what happen in California and the governors race, no even Republicans are exempt of the butt kissing.

Look at the failed passing of the Dream act looking for votes from Latinos with bills that what they do is putting more tax payer dollars into the hands of illegals, at least this bill didn't make it.

What's wrong with our nations politicians that they have the need to beg to Latinos for vote while craping on the legal tax payer.

Politicians are like monkeys and whores good for show but then they sell the nations to the higher bider.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

Is not lame, it seems that most politicians in the west side of the nation are kissing up to Latinos, .

What's wrong with our nations politicians that they have the need to beg to Latinos for vote while craping on the legal tax payer.

Is not lame, it seems that most politicians ........of the nation are kissing up to white voters,

Is not lame, it seems that most politicians ........of the nation are kissing up to Christians,

Is not lame, it seems that most politicians ........of the nation are kissing up to African Americans,

Is not lame, it seems that most politicians.........of the nation are kissing up to the far right,

Is not lame, it seems that most politicians .........of the nation are kissing up to the far left,

Second verse...same as the first.

BTW - "Latinos" are Americans too...Maybe you meant to say "Illegal aliens" which of course include an equal number of non-"latinos".

It's only pandering when politicians are talking to those "other" people.

edit on 1-10-2010 by maybereal11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by maybereal11

If by now you have not noticed how our political career whores goes after anybody that can give them support then you have not noticed yet how lame most people in this nation are when it comes to putting their hart and souls on nothing but empty promises.

I am Latina but darn if I am going to let any butt kissing politician entice me again into dreams and hopes, like Obama did while they turn around and sell themselves to the pimps that can pay the most cash for their campaigns. The problem with political whores is that now they are after illegals giving them promises so the families already in the nation and those that support illegal immigration can give them the vote.

We need a French style revolution and down with the political whores head

new topics

top topics

join