It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING! Odds of Life on Newfound Earth-Size Planet '100 Percent,' Astronomer Says!

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 03:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Tempest333

You said the vid is the moon moving in front of stars. To me that vid looks like the moon passing thru a telescope at a normal speed. At least it looks consistent with what I usually see if I turn autotracking off on my scope.

I know the moon moves slightly in the sky during the night, but not fast enough for two stars to become visible in that one shot. could it be timelapsed photography? I don't think it is. There may be another explaination, but saying the moon is visably passing in front of the starfield to where we can observe the speed of the motion?

nah, can't see it (or haven't seen it yet anyway)

As to what the objects are? I can't say, but it looks interesting

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 04:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by AdAbsurdum
*SPOILER ALERT*
The ending to Lost was that it was all a dream... a dream being had by a dog.

You leave the dog out of it... Why I oughta... *shakes fist* Vincent was an innocent victim of a crap show - you can bet he didn't get paid a cent... All the Schmackos in the world wouldn't make up for his acting..

On a serious note, am I the only person that hopes we find life on another planet so I can eat it? Not intelligent life mind you, but I am curious to find out if there are delicious creatures out there waiting in anticipation for me to consume them. When I can't sleep I often wonder if I'll ever get a chance to eat a tasty Gnargnar Beast or something. I mean, just imagine all the wonderful things we can eat!

Typical human... If you cant root it, then eat it. Or .. kill it.. Usually one comes before the other, in either order.

I'd be in for some tasty space strawberries tho!

The fruit.. Uhh, The growing in the ground kind of fruit..

I also wonder sometimes if we won't find some sort of super predator that will be so ridiculously good at what it does that there will be protests about bringing them to Earth for research. Then on some fateful day it gets out and starts rampaging and we have to kill it with fire but after it dies we realize we are the real monsters.

I just saw Predators... Rubbish, it will never happen - the movies don't have the budget these days for it..
If you cant get a decent costume and Arnie, it is not going to work. And if you have to make them so feeble that they fall for stupid stunts....... Arnie is rolling in his office as I mention this..

I also didn't know elephants "hooter". I learned something new...

I dunno what they do - they snoot? hoor? What does an elephant do.. they go HOOOTER... Some call it Trumpeting. I say, if you play a trumpet like that, I'm knocking your teeth out and leaving you to die!!! Oo

That made me wonder if it will be possible that we will find fruit that sings to us cause it wants us to eat it or it changes colors and what not to keep our attention.

Alright, I'm hungry now...

Cuttlefish... Not strictly a fish, moreso a snail, but quite unlike anything else we eat - changes colour like magic. A brilliant and wonderful creature, so magnificent, so amazing... so on the menu

I'll stick to space strawberries...

Ooh Lentils and tofu.. brb

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 04:13 AM
link   
This is a pretty significant story.

Massive ramifications, if proven to be true and the discovery is confirmed. Hmm, seems some interesting developments are occurring on the ET front.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 04:14 AM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

Used to buy packages of dried cuttlefish when I was a kid. That stuff was and still is the greatest thing I have ever eaten.

I try to eat one of every animal I come across. If we start adding more planets into this that's gonna set me way way back.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 04:16 AM
link   

reply to post by badw0lf

Used to buy packages of dried cuttlefish when I was a kid. That stuff was and still is the greatest thing I have ever eaten.

I try to eat one of every animal I come across. If we start adding more planets into this that's gonna set me way way back.

I hear Humans are a pretty common animal. Very easy to catch also.

Let me know how you go !!

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 04:17 AM
link   
Let's go claim it for the Earth Empire!

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 04:18 AM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

I burned myself self once on accident. Pretty bad, mind you. Through the pain I saw an opportunity.

Long story short, tough salty pork flavor.

edit on 30-9-2010 by AdAbsurdum because: spwlling

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 04:42 AM
link   
A misleading title to your thread my friend!!
Not 100% by any means however, I find this to be an extremely exciting announcement!
Doubt if this planet would hold intelligent/sentient life though. Could you imagine living on a planet that had a tidally locked rotation with one side always facing the sun? Now that I think about it, it might be preferable to our perpetual seasons, especially the ones we experience in the UK. Gimme constantly warm and sunny any day

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Its interesting, how verifiable scienentific evidence, always comes after, beliefs, ideas and feelings. Those who mock beliefs, ideas and feelings about THINGS, in essence, are unscientific.

I hope this helps

Breadmaker

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Did anyone just see the report on SKYNEWS about it?

It was really odd. Water is apparently on the surface. I'm quite the philistine, alas, when it comes to astronomy so I have no idea how detection of water works across light years. But apart from that, the gentlemen ended the interview on the most bizarre and almost absurd means;

"We should lay low. We don't know what life is out there. Waiting for us."

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by wmd_2008
Yes its in the right zone but you need a hell of a lot of other things to fall into place before life appears some on here think all thats required is water, temprature and time but other things have to happen even you zorgon must agree with that!

Sure I agree... but you know... about those science geeks that you say this is no big deal to... Perhaps it would be nice if they popped in and made a thread about the latest news from space, rather than simply bashing someone else's thread with "It ain't no big deal!"

....mike when is he coming back!

I left for personal reasons, some others did not leave by choice.... it's getting thin on my side of the fence

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 05:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
"We should lay low. We don't know what life is out there. Waiting for us."

How very odd... Stephen Hawkins said...

Aliens have been in the news this year. In April, cosmic oracle Stephen Hawking, the legendary theoretical physicist, proclaimed that extraterrestrial life is almost certain to exist. He also mentioned, by the way, that we should stay as far away from aliens as possible, since they're probably scavenging the universe for resources after destroying their own homes.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 05:05 AM
link   

reply to post by badw0lf

I burned myself self once on accident. Pretty bad, mind you. Through the pain I saw an opportunity.

Long story short, tough salty pork flavor.

edit on 30-9-2010 by AdAbsurdum because: spwlling

Twice in one day I've officially declared something Creepy!!! Oo

Are you hairless? Or does the rank stench of burnt follicles just not register.

Yegads, Im going back to the simpsons where it's cartoon reality...

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 05:06 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

The media, and some scientists, are suggesting this discovery is "the real deal" - which could be the truth in this story. However, the narrative being formulated, is aliens will be the antagonist of the Human race.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 05:08 AM
link   
reply to post by infinite

You have that link to Skynews? Seems I mised it?

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 05:11 AM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

It was the underside of my forearm... I don't have hair there. You are officially my favorite Aussie, btw.

In reference to the OP ( to at least appear to stay on topic) and some of the replies I've read, it does seem to me that there is some sort of warming up to the idea of us not being alone. I'm in agreement with the SkyNews reporter and in the Stephen Hawking camp. I don't think it is such a good idea to go looking for them.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Sky news

It's not on the main article, however, this is though

If the local stellar neighbourhood is a representative sample of the galaxy as a whole, our Milky Way could be teeming with potentially habitable planets.

I recall watching the infamous documentary, Secret Space, and the narrator, made the exact claim above. This was about eight years ago.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 05:15 AM
link   
reply to post by IntastellaBurst

can't have any mass suicides now.

Why not? They're always bleating on about overpopulation, and stretched resources, you'd think they'd welcome a few topping themselves.

The discovery itself, isn't surprising in the slightest to me.

Our little planet has life crawling all over it, inside it, and above it. And as were being told (at last) now, our planet is in no way unique in it's 'life as we know it' properties, of temperature, water, atmosphere and gravity to name a few of them.

Having said that, that 'life as we know it' speech, is a misnomer anyway.

We are still finding new species of life on our own planet that we didn't know existed, and had actually argued against the possibility of it existing, in the places and conditions we are now finding it.

Extremophiles are a relatively recent discovery here on Earth, and the types and differences among their requirements for life, are truly amazing.

They ARE indeed 'life as we know it', and yet, the environments they actually require to thrive, would kill humans and most other species on Earth in seconds, if not sooner.

These extremophiles are not limited to unicellular organisms and microbes either.
There are bacteria, insects, worms, crustaceans...in fact, quite a few (discovered so far) species live in environments that would be perfect for them, on or in almost all of the planets in our lonely little solar system alone!

In other words, the crushing pressures and high acidity or alkalinity, or toxic atmospheres and soils, the boiling hot temperatures and frigid icy conditions on planets on our own doorstep, which would kill us very quickly, would for a lot of these extremophile creatures, be their 'idea' of a perfect habitat!

Here's a short list of some of the creatures and their living conditions, we have found so far on Earth.

Acidophile - An organism that requires a highly acid environment (PH 3 or below) to thrive.

Alkaliphile - As above, but requires a highly alkaline environment (PH 9 or more)

Halophile - Organism that require a highly saline (salty) environment above 0.2M (0.2M minimum)

Hyperthermophile - Thrives in temperatures between 80-122 degrees centigrade, such as hydrothermal vents.

Lithoautotroph - Usually a bacterium that basically eats CO2 and rocks to survive.

Metallotolerant - An organism that can tolerate extremely high levels of toxic metals, arsenic, zinc, copper...

Piezophile - Can survive and thrive in environments of extremely high pressures, far beneath the surface.

Polyextremophile - can survive a number of the above environments, as opposed to a single one. (tough critters)

Psychrophile/Cryophile - Survives and thrives at 15 degrees centigrade or lower, polar ice, permafrost etc.

Radioresistant - Can survive and thrive in highly radioactive environments, nuclear reactor, ionizing radiation.

Thermophile - Thrives in temperatures between 60-80 degrees centigrade.

Xerophile - Survives and thrives in extremely arid, H2O absent environments.

And there are more, and are not limited to microbes and bacteria.

The creatures that belong to the above list of category's would be in absolute paradise on any planet in our solar system, no Earth like planet required.

When talking about the possibilities of life on other worlds and Earth like planets, it would be better to say they would be suitable for human habitation, rather than life as we know it.

The point is, which i'm sure most of you reading will have sussed, is that life can survive and thrive anywhere, in any conditions or environments, just not necessarily life with human requirements.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 05:24 AM
link   
reply to post by rajaten

I don't see false flag attacks involving aliens, it was publicly stated we have NO technology to date that can do what Aliens have done (disabling nukes for example, or traveling at speeds and making turns that observed crafts have done). It's also been stated, we're outgunned...so to even think about an attack on Aliens would be at best a huge mistake!

As for the 'quickening' it's been started long before the first mention of Aliens...it has more to do with the EVIL on this planet. I do believe that Aliens are going to prevent these evil people from using nukes on the scale which would be World War III. This is NOT our planet, we're tennants and the landlord is pissed!

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 05:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

PLANETS, PLANETS EVERYWHERE

Gliese 876b - Smallest Exoplanet Found

Image credit: Trent Schindler, National Science Foundation

www.thelivingmoon.com...

The Gliese 876 system always reminds me of the claim of Dan Burisch.

J-Rod: A class of EBE from the Zeta Reticulum area. The J-Rod assocated with Dr Burisch was housed in a pressurized hydrogen "Clean Sphere" at Level 5 of S4. He had a degenerative neurological condition. The J-Rod is similar in appearance to that of the "grey" aliens recovered from Roswell.
P+52k-yr J-Rods (here after called 52's) note….they are from Gliese 876, halfway between Earth and Zeta Reticulum.

www.danburisch.info...

Gliese 876 is a red dwarf star approximately 15 light-years away from Earth in the constellation of Aquarius (the Water-bearer). As of 2010, it has been confirmed that four extrasolar planets orbit the star. Two of the middle planets are similar to Jupiter, while the closest planet is thought to be similar to a small Neptune or a large terrestrial planet, and the outer planet has mass similar to Uranus. The orbits of all but the closest planet are locked in a rare three-body Laplace resonance.

en.wikipedia.org...

Despite I am aware that almost everybody here is convinced that Burisch is a fraud, I do find his claim still quite remarkable.

edit on 30/9/10 by spacevisitor because: Made a correction

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join