It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Do It Yourself Thread (for SHTF Scenario)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

These are just things people should know regardless if SHTF. In my opinion, the more prepared the mind the less chance of that individual missing a beat in life or just "surviving"...

edit on 30-9-2010 by agentofchaos because: Typo

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I really have to hand it to you, your prepared then most. But this co-insides with doomsday that one day we will esstinally go nuts and live in the wild or some rubbish (although a realist possbiltiy does remain)

Everything you need to survive on earth, is here also everything you need to get away from earth, is also here, so if there was a catastrophic event, why not just leave the planet? mars sounds better or even a space station, we can get use to zero gravity, other things have.

Sure we would be tall and lanky, have huge eyes and possibily grey skin (after generations), but who cares? its space i've always wanted to live in zero gravity, so instead of planning for the end of the world, why not plan for a new one instead?

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I want to thank everyone of you have made this thread so much more greater. This was intended for people like you guys. This is what makes ATS the place that it is.

I will continue as I hope some of you guys will, keep this thread with any info that might be helpful to all people, for the purpose of self sufficiency, and knowledge.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   

I thought this was neat

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoRegretsEver
Ahhh, I guess I should have written the name of this thread....
DANGER DANGER, SHTF DANGER!! UNICORNS ARE TAKING OVER!!

Clearly, you don't know what's up. Unicorns are a force for good, and are active enemies of the true dark lords, the nwo molemen.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   
awesome information. This information will come in handy when that time comes.
You just helped a lot of folks out with ur work.

Peace Brother

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Cool Thread. The more i learn about the world, politics, the people and systems that run it, the more it makes sense for me to learn this stuff.

Survival during through summer and fall seems pritty straight forward. I was wondering if anyone has suggestions for winter/spring survival.

To give a worst case scenario:

- some global event has halted international trade.
- governments have become very unstable (as if they arent already...
) some have collapsed
- power grids have failed, typical methods of cooking and refridgeration are not an option.

- you have no one to depend on but yourself and your immediate family. Lets say this scenario was to last through a winter, how would you get through?

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 02:19 AM
link   
No offense but if you actually attempt to use solar cooking you're an idiot. Man has invented fire. It's pretty nifty. Even in SHTF scenarios one would certainly have some means of creating fire, and a way of keeping it live.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by enteri

I really didn't see the reason to insult someone that may have a different opinion as you, but to each his own.

Anyway, there are many people that can choose to go solar for many different reasons. One some of the game that can be caught will be better tasting if slow cooked, Its easy to carry, and because of the size with the ones that I provided, if there is more than one person each can carry one, and you can make larger portions. Also, you can leave the area if needed, and not attract animals, or have to leave someone tending to the fire, if your in need of more supplies.

And the MOST important of them all. If you have solar, you will not give away your position. You can save your wood and resources for the evening when it could be much colder, and if you don't want people to know where you are, or what you have, having a big roaring fire is not the best idea.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 03:20 AM
link   

I have thought about wood fires and agree with you. The smoke and especially the smell of the fire carries a great distance and would attract unwanted attention. Just the act of cooking has it's own smells as well but don't seem to carry very far.

We did a trial run of garden growing from some large tubs we have collected, about 2' x 2'. It showed promise and will try again next year with more tubs. We tried a conventional garden and things always started out very well then the summer heat, deer and super strength weeds took over and it never amounted to much. The tubs were much easier to water and keep weeds out of but did still have an unexpected problem with deer. The tomatoes were getting to be a good size with 2-3" fruit and one day I went out to water them. I was not at all pleased when I discovered stripped, green 1' long stubs sticking out of the ground and deer prints all around.
We had put the tomatoes by a dog pen thinking that their barking would scare them off, it didn't. Will need some type of movable fence next year. Onions and potatoes did well.

Thank you very much for your time and energy in bringing this together!

edit on 10/1/2010 by LuFri because: added more info

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 03:40 AM
link   
Great thread. I must say though I would prefer to just light a campfire and put my billy or trangia saucepan
on it than bother with solar contraptions and homemade stoves. A lighter and a trangia goes a long way
in a survival situation. They are both easily held in a backpack also.

Keep up the interesting info OP

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Funny people need a video to show how to grow potatoes, beans, strawberries and make a cooking place from bricks.

Errr... those city folks! ^_^

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 03:53 AM
link   
reply to post by LuFri

Here is a good tip that helped me when I was using tub containers. I didn't seem to get enough sun in some parts, so I read somewhere that if you take a piece or two of cardboard, and put aluminum foil on them, you can angle them from the sun, and you don't have to move the tubs around.

I also have a homemade garden bed and to had to deal with animals, so I put some posts around it and chicken wire and never had the problem again.

Thanks for participating.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Great thread!
I have been getting prepared for a SHTF scenario for almost a year now because I think it is a distinct possibility.
Here's an article I would like to add,

WHAT TO DO IF A NUCLEAR DISASTER IS IMMINENT

www.ki4u.com...

It's got some very useful information of what to do in the event of nuclear fallout.

posted on Oct, 1 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by SpaceMonkeys

Thank you for that. I have printed it out to look over some of the places to go if staying, and how to be safe without a basement.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Helpful website:
www.mygardenwalk.com...

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 02:24 AM
link   
More info please!
This is all great, im browsing for a site to contribute.

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by chiponbothshoulders
reply to post by Spirit Warrior 11:11

Death is not a door,it is an inevitability.

There is no true death, so that is an incorrect statement. It is a door to the next experience or the true experience, a moulting or shedding. If you believe there is nothing after your human body dies then what is the point in anything?

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   

This thread brilliant.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Most folks don’t know the power of a fresnel lens, or that you can collect them for free.

Cooking with a fresnel.

]Or run a small sterling engine

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join