It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US imposes sanctions on Iranian officials over abuses

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   

US imposes sanctions on Iranian officials over abuses

www.bbc.co.uk

US President Barack Obama has ordered unprecedented sanctions against senior Iranian officials for "sustained and severe violations of human rights".

The eight men include the head of the Revolutionary Guards, a former interior minister and the prosecutor general.

The treasury department said they would face a travel ban and asset freeze.

The alleged abuses include the killings and beatings of anti-government protesters after the disputed presidential election in June 2009.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   
It's about bloody time!

the amount of people killed simply for just protesting, or thrown in jail etc. etc. is just disgusting,

"The authorities launched a brutal crackdown, during which opposition and human rights groups accused the security forces of extra-judicial killings, rapes and torture. Thousands were held without charge."

I know that the U.S (Obama) has ulterior motives too, but Still it is a GOOD thing that someone (somewhere) is finally standing up for the affronts to human rights that Iran has been committing

i hope that more countries follow suit now the precedence has been set.

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 29/9/2010 by AmmonSeth because: (no reason given)

edit on 29/9/2010 by AmmonSeth because: Spelling Mistake

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I know that many will come to this thread to support the general concept that the US should not be interfering in internal Iranian policy with regards to this - however - I agree with the stand the US has taken, as well. Human Rights violations and/or concerns should supersede the internal law of a country and the practices that fall into this category should be questioned by others. Well done. Finally some support for those fighting this issue, not just in Iran, but on a global scale.

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   
What a load of rubbish... The u.s should have to face the same sanctions and restrictions due to their illegal/immoral wars, human rights abuses, atrocities committed all for "democracy and freedom"... Sickening american hypocrisy...

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Interesting concept. Maybe we the people can impose economic sanctions against our government for its abuse of protestors here. Of for the torture of "enemy combatants". Or for the warrantless wiretaps. Or for robbing us blind and giving our wealth to the banks. Or for spending 2 billion dollars a week to rebuild countries we tore apart, while our own infrastructure decays. Or for selling us into slavery to the insurance companies. Or for the ... well, you get the idea.

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by AmmonSeth

Iran should do the same against Iranian high ranks, for sending over a million people to prison..

Can't wait to see the Iranian response

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
It does seem pretty hyopcritical of us to do this, however, I guess someone has to do it..........
How long before this is just a part of the justification for an actual attack on Iran?

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by adifferentbreed
It does seem pretty hyopcritical of us to do this, however, I guess someone has to do it..........
How long before this is just a part of the justification for an actual attack on Iran?

Yeah it is hypocritical, considering the US (specifically CIA operations) have resulted in the massacre of at least six million people since WWII. Nothing but warmongers trying to find excuses to start more wars.

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   
www.boston.com...

come on and defend this just try pictures speak all for themselves.

sanctions yeah and obviously alot more needs to be done.

edit on 29-9-2010 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
www.boston.com...

come on and defend this just try pictures speak all for themselves.

sanctions yeah and obviously alot more needs to be done.

edit on 29-9-2010 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

Im with you on this, regardless of what the U.S has done, the issue is that countries DO need to crack down on Iran, we need for the rest to follow in the U.S's footsteps here

top topics

join