It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why does the US give so much foreign Aid?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   
It has bothered me for a long time. I know we give countries money for them to be "on our side" .. I know we give countries money for true humanitarian needs... But with our economy going down hill fast, why are we still doing it?.. We are in HUGE trouble in the US, but yet we still send all of this aid..

In 2008 we gave roughly 25 billion in aid..(I am sure that figure is low) . We are the country that needs the financial aid. Are we giving away borrowed money? Why has this country not stood up to this dilusional act?

Why do we support Israel with money? Why do we give Pakistan billions every year.

We send this money to countries where the majority of the population hates us.. Why are my tax dollars going to people that hate me?

This entire thing gets me so angry...We are broke!!!! We should not be helping a single country, until ours is fully fixed...

Our infastructure is deteriorating- Our schools lack budget- .. We are in trouble!! Big trouble!!

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I got the information from here:
www.parade.com...

Who Gets U.S. Foreign Aid
The U.S. will give an estimated $26 billion in foreign aid in 2008—70% more than when President George W. Bush took office (the figure doesn’t include funds related to the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan). More than 150 countries get financial assistance from the U.S. Here are the six that received the most this year.

COUNTRY AID PURPOSE
1. Israel $2.4 billion Virtually all of this money is used to buy weapons (up to 75% made in the U.S.). Beginning in 2009, the U.S. plans to give $30 billion over 10 years.
2. Egypt $1.7 billion $1.3 billion to buy weapons; $103 million for education; $74 million for health care; $45 million to promote civic participation and human rights.
3. Pakistan $798 million $330 million for security efforts, including military-equipment upgrades and border security; $20 million for infrastructure.
4. Jordan $688 million $326 million to fight terrorism and promote regional stability through equipment upgrades and training; $163 million cash payment to the Jordanian government.
5. Kenya $586 million $501 million to fight HIV/AIDS through drug treatment and abstinence education and to combat malaria; $15 million for agricultural development; $5.4 million for programs that promote government accountability.
6. South Africa $574 million $557 million to fight TB and HIV/AIDS; $3 million for education.
7. Mexico $551 million Click here for details.
8. Colombia $541 million
9. Nigeria $491 million
10. Sudan $479 million

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Charity begins at home for Mobius?

I know what you mean though times are tough all over, and the UK just gave the largest contributions of aid to Pakistan flood relief out of all the EU member states. I made a modest contribution myself, but that has more to do with karma than anything else.

I think you're on the right track with favours though. I think you can also tell alot about the mettle of a nation by how they deal with a large scale crisis. So perhaps when the US offers aid, they are also carrying out detailed assessments on the country's emergency response, and maybe learning a thing or too at the same time. I think as well it would be pretty cheeky of the US not to donate aid to Pakistan in light of their sustained operations within Pakistan's borders.

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
"Why does the US give so much foreign Aid?"

A: To get something in return.

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by henriquefd

..but that doesn't work anymore, so it's time to stop.

Thanks to Bush the rest of the world hated us and they were angry.
Now, they still hate but they are laughing at us too.

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Most of US aid is tied.It is given conditionally for influence.It works like this the US gives say ''aid'' to a country and it is used to buy certain goods from a US corporations say grain or drugs to Africa of weapons to Israel.The corporation takes the money from the Taxpayer and the Government buys influence and bargaining power.

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by coolhanddan

Wow those stats are quite shocking.

Couldn't they just cut out the middle man and directly send Israel $2 billion worth of weapons. At least it would be involve less paper work

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Here is a list of countries donating - - - Per Capita Foreign Aid Assistance by World's Wealthiest Countries

See where the United States actually is on the list.

www.infoplease.com...

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro

..but that doesn't work anymore, so it's time to stop.

Thanks to Bush the rest of the world hated us and they were angry.
Now, they still hate but they are laughing at us too.

Who says it doesn't work? I don't think the US government gives foreign ad just to be liked. That money goes directly to the hands of those governing the countries. There is something the US is getting from those countries. You and I just don't know what it is, but it is naive to think the US is just giving money away. No sir. They are actualyl BUYING something and that foreign aid is the price.

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Maybe....just maybe....some Americans actually care for those who are less fortunate than themselves.....just a thought......

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Fair enough.. If my argument was based on "per capita" .. but it wasn't.... The figures are astronomical !!!

Lets move past that to my main point.. I want to be LAST on that list.. I want our contribution to be ZERO !!!!!

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   

You and I just don't know what it is, but it is naive to think the US is just giving money away. No sir. They are actualyl BUYING something and that foreign aid is the price.

You're right, we don't know,
..but we should because seems I remember that, just very recently, someone promised something he referred to as
"transparency"

[insert laugh track here]

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Traydor

The time to feed the world is over.. The time to police the world is OVER!!!! .. We need to stand up and say ENOUGH IS ENOUGH !!!!

I do not want my money going to other countries... I definetly do not want my money to go to countries that hate us, and voice that opinion openly!

edit on 29-9-2010 by Mobius1974 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Traydor
Maybe....just maybe....some Americans actually care for those who are less fortunate than themselves.....just a thought......

If we are talking about money donated by the people, then I agree with you. When we are talking about financial help given by one country to another, then I don't care which country is donating. It doesn't have to be the US. I will put my own country on the line. Whenever you see Brazil's government giving any aid to any country, know we want something else besides helping.

Easy and recent example is Haiti. Brazil didn't like that US was giving so much help to Haiti. Doesn't that sound strange? Hey, the US is helping a country. Why is Brazil upset? Because Brazil has a long history with Haiti and didn't like to see the US taking over and overshadowing Brazil. And there is a lot more of trash behind the scenes that nobody is aware of.

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Traydor

Naw we are the US it doesn't matter if we give or take we will all ways be hated.

edit on 29-9-2010 by hillbilly4rent because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by hillbilly4rent

That is a fact.... No matter how hard we try or don't try .. The world hates us.. So lets stick to ourselves.. No more military/food aid to ANYONE!!

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
you shouldn't be so negative about yourselves, alot of people do like america and it's people, i would say that this is the impression that your last government has created for themselves. we know exactly who is to blame for this reputation but we don't 'hate' the american people, but for those who do just haven't even bothered to get to know any.

as for the money, to be fair, there may be some motives behind this but i would like to think that it's because america actually does care about the world they are apart of. america may be a great country but it does share the world with everyone else....

edit on 29/9/2010 by Traydor because: (no reason given)

edit on 29/9/2010 by Traydor because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Giving money isn't a big issue as long as you make it yourself (America), in return they get it back in years time with interest offcourse and thereby materials the US can use. America and every other country think like the big companies... and that motto is always follow the money.

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mobius1974
reply to post by Annee

Fair enough.. If my argument was based on "per capita" .. but it wasn't.... The figures are astronomical !!!

Lets move past that to my main point.. I want to be LAST on that list.. I want our contribution to be ZERO !!!!!

I am aware the discussion was not Per Capita.

But without that information and honest perspective - - - it is not a legitimate discussion - in my opinion.

Knowing that the United States is last on a list Per Capita in foreign aid - - - should have some significance in this discussion.

edit on 29-9-2010 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

With the headline being "Why does the US give so much foreign aid" what part of that necessitates the per capita figures?

You say "last on the list"
It only makes sense that a country called "United states" would be last on a list THAT IS IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER!!!! What a ignorant, pathetic attempt!! crawl back under that rock!!
If you would have taken the time to look over your propaganda piece.. You would have noticed that they are not in order.. How pathetic is that!!!

Dont worry... These days I fully expect anyone and everyone to try and minimize the contributions of the US.. It is not in the worlds best interest to show the US in a positive light.

edit on 30-9-2010 by Mobius1974 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join