It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do You Believe It Is Ever Right To Break The Law?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Hello all,

Quite a simple one really guys...

Do you think that it's ever right to break the law? I'm pretty sure the majority of us on here have, at one time or another, broken the law whether that be for some as trivial as littering or something more serious.

Following on from the current on-going thread about the two teenagers having sex below the legal age of consent; that in my opinion isn't breaking the law and how it can be considered a "crime" is beyond me.

I'd be interested in hearings peoples opinions on whether they believe that there could ever be an occasion where they would break the law and simply accept the consequences i.e. for example I think most on here would do anything to protect their children and if they were hurt/harmed they wouldn't have an issue with reacting using physical violence.

Are there any of you on here (I know there are) who believe that the law is absolute and as such should never, ever be broken?

What do you think guys?

Cheers,

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Well, as a general rule, laws are there to keep the population under control. In that respect, I am all for laws and rules. Without them the world would be a lot worse than it already is and we would all be living like barbarians, taking what we want, and most likely killing without remorse.

That being said, there are just way to many laws and not all of them,
in my opinion, are needed.

I believe that most laws are for the betterment of society though.

Any law that prevents you from harming anyone else or thier property, is a good law.
Any law that tries to control your actions and descisions in reguards to yourself,
is not needed.

Just my 2 cents

+2 more 
posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I think it is our civil duty to break laws that are oppressive, wrong or unjust, while vocally working to enact change.

In America our laws are created by crooked thieves liars and perverts, our elected Politicians, so of course it is OK to break laws sometimes.

I mirror my government when it comes to how serious I take the law.

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   
You betchya. Some bad laws and punishments need to be forever gotten rid of ...

Depending on where you are in the world ...
- Homosexual behavior should be punished with a public stoning to death. (Iran)
- Rape victims should be punished because it's their fault they got raped. (Saudi Arabia)
- Throwing drug addicts in prison instead of helping them with the addiction (USA)
- Anti-prostitution laws (just about everywhere)

etc

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

the case you refer to is a "crime" in the same way truancy is or underage drinking. should they go to prison? no, but they should receieve legal intervention.

but regarding your question at large....yes, we should break laws. it is how we prevent tyranny from overtaking us. you break the law, then you rely on jury nullification to support you.

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Moses was the first law breaker...

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkblade71
Any law that prevents you from harming anyone else or thier property, is a good law.
Any law that tries to control your actions and descisions in reguards to yourself,
is not needed.

Not trying to be a dick but those two statements contradict each other if I'm honest, there are laws with regards to yourself that prevent you from harming anyone else or their property.

I'm not saying I think it's right to harm other people, just pointing out the contradiction

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I love these answers!

Great question OP!

I had not even thought of the tyrany aspect

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater
In America our laws are created by crooked thieves liars and perverts, our elected Politicians, so of course it is OK to break laws sometimes.

I mirror my government when it comes to how serious I take the law.

The UK isn't much better in my opinion.

I reckon that the majority of us probably break the law, in one way or another, every week. Possibly even everyday!

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
You betchya. Some bad laws and punishments need to be forever gotten rid of ...

Depending on where you are in the world ...
- Homosexual behavior should be punished with a public stoning to death. (Iran)
- Rape victims should be punished because it's their fault they got raped. (Saudi Arabia)
- Throwing drug addicts in prison instead of helping them with the addiction (USA)
- Anti-prostitution laws (just about everywhere)
etc

I agree with that.

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

the case you refer to is a "crime" in the same way truancy is or underage drinking. should they go to prison? no, but they should receieve legal intervention.

but regarding your question at large....yes, we should break laws. it is how we prevent tyranny from overtaking us. you break the law, then you rely on jury nullification to support you.

I wouldn't say that underage drinking requires legal intervention unless that behaviour results in harm/damage to other people or property in what ever shape or form...

link   

Originally posted by Death_Kron

Not trying to be a dick but those two statements contradict each other if I'm honest, there are laws with regards to yourself that prevent you from harming anyone else or their property.

I'm not saying I think it's right to harm other people, just pointing out the contradiction

Yep, I think its ok to harm yourself, thats your choice, but not anyone else. It is a contradiction of sorts depending on how its looked at.

link   

Originally posted by Archz
Moses was the first law breaker...

Good point.

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkblade71
Yep, I think its ok to harm yourself, thats your choice, but not anyone else. It is a contradiction of sorts depending on how its looked at.

Yeah, I suppose an individual should have the right to do what ever they want to themselves, as long as it doesn't harm other people although that could become a tricky conversation if you started talking about the emotional aspect impacted on family members, friends etc

I'm talking more about things like Euthanasia, physically lashing out at someone who has hurt your child etc

Glad you like the thread

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Some laws i agree with so i follow them.
Some laws i don't agree with so I don't follow them.
That is about as much as i can say.

I live by my own standards.

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
When it comes down to it, laws are just arbitrary sets of rules created by people in order to maintain control. This is not a bad thing in itself, as having defined rules and consequences helps to keep certain things clear, like killing or stealing is wrong.

However, it is human nature to corrupt, and laws are created with selfish and nefarious motives. That means that laws are there not to protect us from harm but to benefit the lawmakers.

So in short - you should respect the laws that tell you to respect others, and are for the genuine well-being of people and planet, but after that any law is surplus to requirements and I feel no guilt in breaking them at all.

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   

"Legal intervention" in that if parents are allowing it to happen unchecked, repeatedly, authorities will get involved.

Should they? Well, that depends on how much liberty you want The People to have. My opinion is that they shouldn't. But I am for unbridled and unchecked liberty, per the US Constitution.

In the framework of what would be acceptable by most people, I think it relies mostly on the potential damage a child could suffer from their own actions. Meddling Americans won't let people bring harm to themselves, especially if they are children.

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by EnactedEgoTrip

Well they do say laws are there to be broken

I suppose the question then becomes what gives us the ability to choose what laws to obey and which to break.

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
The law is the law and has nothing to do with right versus wrong or moral versus immoral. All it defines is legal versus illegal.

To ask in regard to the law, "is it right to break it" is devoid of meaning.

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Death_Kron
reply to post by EnactedEgoTrip

Well they do say laws are there to be broken

I suppose the question then becomes what gives us the ability to choose what laws to obey and which to break.

is there a clear victim with a clear loss suffered?

if not, then the law is arbitrary and useless.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join