It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newbie question about the moon...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Ok so I'm sure there is an obvious answer, and I'm going to feel like an idiot when I read it, but I'm prepared for that so...

I'm at home, my wife is at work. I go to a friends house, we are chit chattin outside his house when I look up and noticed the moon, big and obvious. Strange I thought, but soon forgot about it. When I get home, I notice a text from my wife, (i forgot my phone at the house) she had made the same observation. So it's quite clear to me, that the moon is out and about at 12 noon in Texas....So my question...

If we can see the moon at 12 noon, how the bloody hell do people on the other side of the earth, where it's night time, see it too?!

Like I said, probably a dumb question, but it is one that is currently me and my wife insane trying to figure it out. LOL Thanks in advance for your patience.

edit on 29-9-2010 by OpenMindCuriousMind because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Well...on the other side of the world (say Russia) the time is 8hrs ahead....so at noon in Texas its 8pm in Moscow, or 5pm in the UK, as they are 5hrs ahead. Get it? Also the moon rises and sets at different times of day throughout the year so sometimes you get to see the moon during the day! Sweet huh?

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Yea it's funny.... watch the Truman Show and read Icke's book about the Moon Matrix...

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by OpenMindCuriousMind

Good question. The short answer is they WON'T see the Moon until it rises.

The Sun, Moon, and each of the planets & stars are only visible across half the globe at any given time. Go to the Earth and Moon Viewer to see what the Earth looks like from the Moon right now.

Here in Texas (where I am, too) at 12:50pm, the Moon is just setting. In Hawaii, where it's 7:50am, the Moon is higher in the morning sky. In Japan & Austrailia, where it's early Thursday morning and the Sun hasn't risen yet, the Moon is still rising high in the eastern sky. In the Middle East, it's Wednesday night and the Moon has not yet risen.

Hope this helps.

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by OpenMindCuriousMind

You can use Saint Exupery's link....I like that one, for the perspective of what it (the Earth) would look like, assuming you could actually stand on the Moon (in one place on the surface) and look at the Earth.

To further visualize from OUTSIDE the entire Earth/Moon system, this animation. Remember that, for the brief duration of the animation, the Sun is relatively stationary --- and, of course, time is sped up considerably, for the demonstration:

Google Video Link

edit on 29 September 2010 by weedwhacker because: Video tags

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Ok I see where I went wrong, it's painfully obvious now and yes, I do feel dumb. LOL Thanks guys.

new topics

top topics

join