It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mathematics and Free Will

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Supposing mathematics is the language of the universe. That means there is a formula somewhere that describes how everything works, the relationships between everything, etc. Computer models are often used to predict the outcome or behaviour of events/things based on various circumstances. These models are obviously not 100% accurate in most cases as we do not know all the variables.

Supposing a computer program was created, which had all the variables, all the correct formulae, algorithms etc, which was essentially a model of the entire universe, ultimately an exact copy. Now, as everything is based on maths, that leaves nothing to chance.

In this model universe, when life evolves on the model earth, would it be identical in every way to how it is now? Peoples lives and thoughts are shaped by the lives of others and the environment. Is there a mathematical formula that can determine everything about an individual person's entire life, interaction with the environment and others?

Are we actually inside said model universe? Where does this leave free will? Is it actually an illusion, and everything is pre-destined to occur as it is? If it deviated even slightly, would it cause the universe computer to crash, or at the very least become locally unstable?

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Just out of curiosity, whats the highest level of mathematics you have studied?

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   
GCSE (high school level). Are there major flaws in my thinking because of this? If so then ignore the OP cos I'm talking crap!

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by The Endtime Warrior

Define highest level. System wise, or...well thats the only one.

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by EnactedEgoTrip

No I wouldn't say that, but if you haven't surpassed algebra or even trigonometry, it could narrow your perspective on things. Its been close to 10 years of studying calculus 2, but I can tell you, the more you know the brighter the world seems. Of course there is stuff way beyond calculus 2 and I don't claim to know a whole lot but anything is far from "chance". If you had a system where something was either 'on' or 'off' ; perhaps even "if-->then" relationships I think you could begin to talk about calculating outcomes of the universe and such. Nothing is as cut/dry as one would think.

The more math you know, the better equipped to answer your own questions, is all I'm saying.
Hopefully I haven't confused you anymore!

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Wikipedia link ya'all might find interesting:

Mathematical universe hypothesis

I've often wondered about the relationship between mathematics and reality. Quantum mechanics throws a spin on it all though, as it seems to include genuine indeterminacy in nature. The deterministic math is still there, but it's on a higher level (the level of the wavefunction), while what the instances or "particles" experience might not be deterministic.

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by gandhi

well I like to think of it as steps. numbers, then counting (sequences), addition/subtraction, multiplication/division, then comes algebra and geometry, next trig then calc...... I dont know much beyond calc but basically what I'm eluding to is there is progression to mathematics so how far has the OP progressed?

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by gandhi
reply to post by The Endtime Warrior

Define highest level. System wise, or...well thats the only one.

Off-Topic but your avatar is the one we ALL had the other day! Who are you and why did everyone possess your picture? ATS said it was a glitch (I think) but I now suffer from PTIS (post traumatic identity syndrome!) and demand answers

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Love moves from image to frontier. -Americanist

The Americanist

You'll find information inside those blogs (view all).

As additional reference (youtube or google search terms):

Dale Pond - Keely, SVP
Marko Rodin - (look for a 44pt Lecture Series) Vortex Math Model
Nassim Haramein - Vector Based Geometry

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
The problem with mathematics is that it is so abstract that it is divorced from anything practical, which is also why mathematics is universal. 1+1=2, but what does that mean? It only means something when we attach those numbers to objects. True freedom would be independence from all material objects, so the soul or free will is like the essence of mathematics, which is perhaps why our conscious mind can understand mathematics, because the logic inherent in mathematics is the nature of our free will.

edit on 30-9-2010 by filosophia because: have a nice day!

top topics

join