It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BP to Create New Safety Division in Wake of Spill

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   
BP to Create New Safety Division in Wake of Spill

Mr. Dudley announced that BP would set up a new global safety division and make other changes to the way it operates as it seeks to absorb some lessons from the explosion of a oil rig in the Gulf of Mexico earlier this year. As part of the changes, Andy Inglis, the head of exploration and production who was in charge of sealing the blown-out well in the Gulf of Mexico, will leave the company.

Having read this two things came to mind.

1. Too little Too late.

AND

2. This is a bit like having the fox guard the hen-house.

I'm glad they are looking forward. I still would like them to look back at the disaster they created and have yet to fully clean up.

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
or even worse...

never fully understand what happened, how they contributed and what to do in the future to prevent another disaster like that. I don't know for certain (and I don't think BP does either) what the combination of factors were to initiate the disaster and than once it happened, how to fix it. As a company going forward, they need to understand the past and plan for the future. One without the other, doesn't work.

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Well that is so true,
I'm going to be posting in detail when they are available what exactly they will be changing here.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   
this headline should read BP Closes Barn Door after Horse Escapes

what a cynical load of doo doo this is
when the most fined and cited Petroleum company or any company for that matter is going to institute a safety division, whatever

I wouldn't take a job in their Safety Division , I read it as if (when) there's another disaster I 'm the one that will get thrown under the bus!

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by MrsBlonde

Thanks for your reply. I couldn't agree more.
I'm surprised this thread didn't get the attention it deserved.
Oh well.

posted on Oct, 2 2010 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Slayer,
Starred and Flagged when it first came up. I thought of this right away, wanted to come back and post this here.

"They are known as the bad boys of the oil industry in the U.S., and I don't mean 'bad boys' in a flattering sense," said Scott West, a former top investigator with the Environmental Protection Agency who spent years dealing with a BP disaster in Alaska during the late 1990s. "They are criminals -- they have been convicted of several environmental crimes. They are serial environmental criminals, and that phrase comes out of the mouth of a federal prosecutor."

Scott West, a former top investigator for the Environmental Protection Agency, calls BP executives "serious environmental criminals" and says the Gulf of Mexico spill was a "disaster waiting to happen."
West, who retired from the EPA in 2008 after 18 years, said he has seen BP skirt the law and cut corners for years. When the oil company's Deepwater Horizon rig exploded six weeks ago in the Gulf of Mexico, West immediately thought of criminal wrongdoing, he said. Federal EPA statutes allow for misdemeanor and felony prosecutions of corporations and individuals stemming from hazardous materials seeping into the environment.

"If I was still on the job and had the area of the gulf, the day I heard this I would've started a criminal investigation just because of the fact that it was BP," West said. "If it was Shell or anyone else, I would've monitored it. But the fact that it's BP, I would have assumed it's criminal and started an investigation before evidence disappeared."

www.aolnews.com...

Yep, like letting thefox gaurd the henhouse....

edit on 2-10-2010 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 02:44 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 3 2010 @ 02:44 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 6 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships
reply to post by SLAYER69

Slayer,
Starred and Flagged when it first came up. I thought of this right away, wanted to come back and post this here.

"They are known as the bad boys of the oil industry in the U.S., and I don't mean 'bad boys' in a flattering sense," said Scott West, a former top investigator with the Environmental Protection Agency who spent years dealing with a BP disaster in Alaska during the late 1990s. "They are criminals -- they have been convicted of several environmental crimes. They are serial environmental criminals, and that phrase comes out of the mouth of a federal prosecutor."

Scott West, a former top investigator for the Environmental Protection Agency, calls BP executives "serious environmental criminals" and says the Gulf of Mexico spill was a "disaster waiting to happen."
West, who retired from the EPA in 2008 after 18 years, said he has seen BP skirt the law and cut corners for years. When the oil company's Deepwater Horizon rig exploded six weeks ago in the Gulf of Mexico, West immediately thought of criminal wrongdoing, he said. Federal EPA statutes allow for misdemeanor and felony prosecutions of corporations and individuals stemming from hazardous materials seeping into the environment.

"If I was still on the job and had the area of the gulf, the day I heard this I would've started a criminal investigation just because of the fact that it was BP," West said. "If it was Shell or anyone else, I would've monitored it. But the fact that it's BP, I would have assumed it's criminal and started an investigation before evidence disappeared."

www.aolnews.com...

Yep, like letting thefox gaurd the henhouse....

edit on 2-10-2010 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

burntheships that is a great post and with so many higher ups in bureaucratic agencies that are responsible for seeing to it that these criminals get prosecuted you'd think it would happen .
It doesn't though, do you think that any of us have the ability to withstand threats? or bribery? doesn't seem like any Feds do

top topics

join