It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do people get so angry when you discuss conspiracy theories?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 12:42 AM
link   
I was chatting about how the world really operates to some friends and they were getting all angry and calling what i was saying stupid "conspiracy theories" (like being a conspiracy theory means it's not true). and they were saying there are no aliens and that 9/11 was done by osama bin laden and all the other lies we are supposed to believe are true.

why do people not even want to talk about it? are they scared?

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by 19872012

Its harmful and threatening to the ego. Its the same reason half-baked intellectuals like Chomsky refuse to acknowledge any theory unless the proof is there and undeniable. Its also the reason 'conspiracy theorists' don't like discussing the fact we are sometimes wrong.

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Well I would imagine that they are scared. I think it has a lot to do with the fear of knowing.
Once you know (or have your perception changed) about something major and potentially life altering, it begs the question "What do I do now?" That is a big big change in someones world view, I think it is normal for people to want to stay "asleep".

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 12:49 AM
link   
i understand people who do believe the mainstream stories (though i disagree), but when you outright deny it, based on it being "just a conspiracy theory", that to me implies fear.

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 01:02 AM
link   
I agree that it's mostly fear. Also once you open your mind to other possibilities its very hard to close it again. Some people can't deal with it so they ignore and deny. I also think it has to do with being part of the "crowd" and going with what most people say/think just because they don't want to appear different.

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 01:33 AM
link   
You know...I had a long discussion about this with a friend just yesterday...he would always say I'm a crack pot fool for studying conspiracy theories...but I think I managed to change his mind...the reason I research stuff like this, is simply because I enjoy learning about this world, whether that be by studying physics or learning to program, or studying conspiracy theories, which are all major interests of mine. Sure, they may simply be conspiracy theories now, but that doesn't mean they are all false, or will remain as mere theories, that's very incorrect. Is it wrong to be curious about how the world really works? I think it just comes down to herd mentality, we have been programmed to reject anything that may question the system and the status quo. They can stay wrapped up in their own ignorant little world for as long as they like, and say whatever they like about me, that wont stop me from researching "alternative" information and theories.

edit on 29/9/10 by CHA0S because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Well, some conspiracy theories are stupid, but that is by design...you can't believe anything people spout off.

There is an organized effort to discredit conspiracy theories by shoving soo many wacky nonsense conspiracy theories into the mix that the whole bag of hammers gets labelled quacky.

and yep, that also is a conspiracy theory.

anyhow, its pretty easy to understand...your core understanding of life gets kicked out from you...your bound to be a bit defensive...you spend your life trying to understand..well...life, and suddenly someone comes along and tells you nope, you failed the test so far...then offers no actual proof...mhmm, your bound to get defensive.

Do you feel strongly about a political party? if so, how do you feel when someone from the opposing party comes up and simply tells you that your wrong..your party is made up of lies and liars and the whole concept is an illusion, but their party is tight, its the truth, etc...chances are, you will politely give them the one finger salute.

conspiracy theories first off are theories...approach your friends in theoretical form, not a "duh you stupid sheeple, the moon is clearly made of cheese and to believe otherwise is being a ignorant tool" mindset and you should be fine.

heres a good sentence for you to try out with your friends should this stuff come up again:
"I entertain conspiracy theories and listen to what they say, because I have to admit that I don't know everything...and even if they are crazy, often I learn interesting new facts during their rants". You will find people will suddenly agree with you...then you can slowly start discussing minor curiousities in a field and ask them what they think about it...

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by 19872012
I was chatting about how the world really operates to some friends and they were getting all angry and calling what i was saying stupid "conspiracy theories" (like being a conspiracy theory means it's not true). and they were saying there are no aliens and that 9/11 was done by osama bin laden and all the other lies we are supposed to believe are true.

why do people not even want to talk about it? are they scared?

because they are brainwashed to think that way. CUT AND DRIED

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 02:08 AM
link   
In my experience people get angry when discussion conspiracy theories, especially when challenged. I think some people's world view is built on some theories and they become a mantra and a purpose and something they can pretend to be an expert on, thus giving them the feeling of being more informed and open minded.

When challenged to come up with the evidence or to delve deeper to explain "the bits that are missing" or “the bits that don’t fit with reality” they get angry because their world view is being threatened.

Often challenge can and does expose gullibility and intellectual poverty. Anger is an expression of defensiveness and the end of debate and most worryingly of a closed mind.

Regards

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by paraphi
In my experience people get angry when discussion conspiracy theories, especially when challenged. I think some people's world view is built on some theories and they become a mantra and a purpose and something they can pretend to be an expert on, thus giving them the feeling of being more informed and open minded.

When challenged to come up with the evidence or to delve deeper to explain "the bits that are missing" or “the bits that don’t fit with reality” they get angry because their world view is being threatened.

Often challenge can and does expose gullibility and intellectual poverty. Anger is an expression of defensiveness and the end of debate and most worryingly of a closed mind.

Regards

sounds like religion...lol

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 02:36 AM
link   
wow. if you wouldn't mind, I'd like to take a shot at playing devil's advocate here. Just as the "mainstream" have decided to pick and choose which bits of data are true and which aren't, its worthy of note that skeptics, alternativists, and "tinfoil hats" do the same.

the whole 9/11 "conspiracy" is the perfect example.
for example, mainstreamers might be hesitant to acknowledge that jet fuel doesn't actually burn at a temperature to melt steel. however ... alternativists, have chosen to ignore that jet fuel plus the pressure brought on by an explosion induced by a big plane being thrown into a building is easily enough to cause the damage witnessed that day.

in my humble opinion, these days everyone has chosen only to believe what they want to and selectively choose the evidence to support what they have decided to believe. I spent about a year with a few notebooks and a few physics books mathing out the data from 9/11 and I have yet to find one piece of physical evidence supporting the idea that 9/11 wasn't exactly what we were told (well very very nearly what we were told).
the bottom line here is that my experience so far on this site is that ATSers are just as guilty as the mainstream of being selective about their generally poor research data. (I really don't mean any offense, it to me is an indicator of society as a whole and not a slight on a community i have just joined)

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 04:27 AM
link   
Many people don't know about Operation Northwoods or other false-flag operations of which have occurred or have been declassified. Many aren't even aware of Project MKULTRA, COINTELPRO, or Operation Mockingbird. Younger people probably don't know about the Iran-Contra Affair, and may also know only very little about the Watergate scandal. They really don't see the world like we do because they've never invested the time to do research into things like this.

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 04:34 AM
link   
People become upset because information which is contradictory to their held, and established beliefs, threatens their accepted world view. It upsets their comfort zone and expectation set. We like to think that we know the world we live in. We like it a LOT.

Imagine if you went out and came home to find the interior of your home totally repainted, in a different color scheme, and all of your furniture replaced with furnishing that did not match what you were used to.

Even if these new items were better than what you began with, you would have an automatic urge to reject the change. You would reject it because you would feel violated and as if your control of your own world had been removed. You would feel as though you had been disempowered.

Seeking to rearrange someones mental furniture works the same way. Our beliefs are the furnishings within our mind and we like them just the way we arranged them.

edit on 9/29/10 by Hefficide because: rephrasing

top topics

join