It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schwarzenegger speech blasts Big Oil, Koch Brothers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 12:06 AM
link   
California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger gave a speech today in Santa Clara (Sept 29 2010) in which he blasts Texan oil companies Valero, Tesoro, and Koch Industries. He goes right for the throat, claiming these companies, two of which are the state's top polluters, are bankrolling a proposition (23) designed to derail the states "Global Warming Solutions Act, AB 32, designed to reduce greenhouse gas emissions to 1990 levels by 2020.

Some of his comments:

"This is a corruption of the democratic process," he said. "Texas oil companies have descended upon California to overturn a California law. There is a struggle playing out right here in California that the world does not know much about.

The effort is similar to the conspiracy hatched among oil companies in the 1920s to get rid of light rail systems. Then, the companies bought up the easements for light rail systems in 45 cities and then systematically dismantled them."

His reply to charges that AB32 costs jobs:

"Today, Valero and Tesoro are in a conspiracy. Not in a criminal conspiracy, but a cynical one about self-serving greed," "Does anyone think in their black oil company hearts that they want to create jobs?

Valero and Tesoro want to stop the movement from old energy to new energy because its means lost market share

"They really don't just want to suspend it, they want to kill this initiative, kill our laws, They are creating a shell argument that they are doing this to protect jobs. Does anyone really believe that these companies, out of the goodness of their black oil hearts, are spending millions and millions of dollars to protect our jobs?"

...and while they're not creating a shale company, they are creating a shell argument that this is about saving jobs. does anyone really believe that these companies that out of the goodness of their black oil hearts are spending millions and millions of dollars to protect jobs? this is like Eva Braun writing a kosher cookbook -- it's not about jobs at all, ladies and gentlemen, it's about their ability to pollute and thus protect their profits.

[...]

Those who seek to overturn our carbon reduction law say that the green-tech future is too costly. another excuse, great, great excuse, huh?

but here's what they don't want to tell you. the cost calculations doesn't include the increased of cost doing business their way, the old way,

They don't include the cost of rising oil prices as the developing world demands more and more oil.

They don't include the costs of job losses that is rising oil prices will force.

They don't include the costs of hundreds of billions of dollars in tax breaks that have gotten and continued to get.

They don't include the costs of pollution that are already causing -- the cost, for instance, to hundreds of thousands of Americans who die every year from smog-related diseases.

They don't include also the cost of 6.5 million hospital visits a year for smog-related illnesses.

They don't include the cost of the NEXT War over Oil.

and believe me, eventually it will come as we become more and more dependent on Oil. i mean, i think that we have had enough wars in the Middle East because of Oil.

Don't you think so?

"It's not about jobs at all. It's about their ability to pollute and thus protect their profits."

Coverage of the speech:

Arnold calls out the Big Oil Front Groups in dramatic fashion

Schwarzenegger slams oil on climate change

Schwarzenegger defends California's climate change law

Arnold Lashes Out at Valero, Prop 23

This isn't the first time the Koch Brothers have used their vast wealth to influence American politics:
Crooks and Liars: The Tea party, Koch Industries

Seems the Koch Brothers have been funding "right-wing" political attack groups, with such names as "Americans for Prosperity", not to mention their deep roots in FoxPAC, as well as the occasional "tea party" politico who are favorable to their business concerns, with an agenda to undermine or repeal any climate law or program that would impede their ability to pollute or earn insane profits, at the expense of developing any type or alternative fuel. See:

Welcome to the real climate war: Big Oil versus the Terminator

The comments on Reddit say it all:
Reddit comments on Schwarzenegger speech - It's only a matter of time now before the shills working for Koch industries begin branding Schwarzenegger a "RINO".

edit on 29-9-2010 by Blackmarketeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 01:20 AM
link   
This is pretty fantastic! Hopefully next thing he talks about is 9/11!

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Wow Arnie.

Going up against the biggest of the big boys. Don't like Arnie very much...gotta state though that he has some mighty big cajones going up against them.

Look for a super smear campaign against him soon for that one.

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 05:00 AM
link   
... and people call Arnold a crappy governor.

If he was president he would crush the national debt with his bare hands !!!

... he would of found Osama Bin Laden BEFORE 9/11 only to hurl a giant hunting knife into his spine while shouting " Stick Around".

Arnold is one of the few people who went into politics for all the right reasons.

1. To avoid prosecution while hunting homeless people in the streets of Los Angeles.

2. For the people.

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Damn, I wish we had the Terminator here in Brazil. The difference is that here in Brazil the major problems are not the big corporations, but the corrupt politicians. Go Arnie!

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 09:13 AM
link   
This is the speech Pres Obama should give.

Arnold has already been called a RINO.

The initiative process in California, with the picture of hard working people passionate for a cause gathering signatures, has been corrupted by big money ( either in or out of state--the worse) who pay workers to gather sigs and then promote the propositions with titles like this Prop 23, California Jobs Initiative.

Yes, it's a jobs initiative...to get rid of jobs in new industries!!

Californians have been trying to deal with, as a state's right, their pollution and energy problems. Arnold is making a stand against big money that wants to keep their boots on the throat of We the People.

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Maybe he should just concentrate on trying to fix his state before he tries to take on a company that is worth more then California.

Yea he says and does some cool crap on television, I paticulary thought the bowie knife video was funny, but the guy is still a moron that somehow keeps getting reelected.

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   

They don't include the cost of the NEXT War over Oil.

And believe me, eventually it will come as we become more and more dependent on Oil. I mean, I think that we have had enough wars in the Middle East because of Oil.

This line - gets me every time.

2/3rds of California's voters approved AB 32, and now some sleazy oil tycoons from another state are trying to thwart the will of these voters to overturn it with Prop23.

California has serious smog issues, I don't blame them for trying to limit the level of pollution there. This isn't China, where polluters are free to destroy that country's ecology in the name of profit.

The real threat from "Big Oil" is delaying or defeating any attempt to develop alternative fuels. We'll be stuck with Big Oil until they've squeezed every last dollar from America.

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
California's global warming solutions act will be a major job killer.

In a way I hope it does happen, because it would stand as a great example in the future when the federal government tries to push through similar legislation.

If California goes through with this act, $9 per gallon for fuel, much higher costs across the board as a result, also killing jobs and companies in transportation and distribution, and throughout the private sector, business will abandon California by the tens of thousands, or simply shut down.

California will commit suicide with this act... sit back and enjoy the show, unless you live there, in that case you should consider immediately relocating elsewhere if you are able.

edit on 29-9-2010 by Fractured.Facade because:

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I am just going to drop this idea off on the thread.

The wars have nothing to do with control or oil reserves.

Oil is ONLY traded in US Reserve currency. Meaning that you cannot purchase oil with anything but US dollars.

This in turn stabilizes the US Dollar among other things.

One further thought folks. Why has our government stopped oil exploration by our companies yet gives Mexico, China and Brazil huge loans to explore for oil?

You have to ask the CORRECT questions to get the CORRECT answers.

edit on 29-9-2010 by saltheart foamfollower because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by saltheart foamfollower

The wars have nothing to do with control or oil reserves.

edit on 29-9-2010 by Janky Red because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Janky Red

What's so funny, who got the contracts for the oil in Iraq? Did American companies?

Control by actual ownership is what I am referring to.

But of course it does not matter who owns it, as long as it is traded in US Reserve Dollars, right?

Your laugh track should at least come with some kind of rebuttal.

edit on 29-9-2010 by saltheart foamfollower because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join