It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the Oil Leak preventing storms from impacting the US Gulf Region?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Is it just me, or does it seem like most the major storm systems so far have ended up missing the bulk of the US Gulf coastline?

How does the crude itself (and corexit) effect surface temp of the Gulf? How much is all the increased microbrial activity increasing the surface temp of the water?

Any chance the leak was a way to prevent another major "katrina" scenario?

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 01:03 AM
link   
I am totally with you! I have noticed the same trend... It's almost as if we have a hurricane defense system now. Very odd.

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   
im not sure, a brief glance at the amount of storms that actually hit the US Gulf Coast is minimal over the past 100 years, compared to the total number of hurricanes. (2004 being an exception, obviously) But still, it makes me wonder if this was a way to secure the coastline from more years like 04, when the gulf was repeatedly battered by storms.

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Been watching this anomoly as well but figured that Katrina and the othrs were part of HAARP frequency anyway.

Figure they are using HAARP to send the hurricane traffic east this time to honor BP.

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   
here's a few useful links for the topic.

cr4.globalspec.com...

Random Quote. Seems relatively accurate. Its a starting point. The whole thread is useful to the topic.

cr4.globalspec.com...

Relatively recent research studies have concluded that hurricane category strength could be increased by one category with as little as 0.5 degree C increase in ocean surface temperature. I learned this when I was mentoring students in a 2007 science project. The students hypothesized that reducing surface temperature by that amount could reduce a hurricane's destructive strength.

Then, in early 2008, Microsoft's Bill Gates became co-patent holder for a system designed to decrease surface water temperature over a large area, with the benefit of reducing hurricane strength. Thus, the students seemed to be on the right track even though they had no idea about the costs of such a project.

I was wondering whether or not the large surface area over which this oil is dispersed in the Gulf would be enough to increase the ocean surface temperature by this small amount, and thus increase the strength of an oncoming hurricane? Then the question in my mind is whether the higher surface temperature is enough to affect the steering currents of the hurricane. In other words, will the current oil spill act as a magnet so to speak for the hurricane I saw where NOAA recently addressed this very question and concluded that this oil spill in the Gulf would probably have little or no impact on the oil spill clean-up. But very few people are asking about the impact that the oil spill is having on hurricane strength and direction.

Can someone pick up on these questions and discuss the possibilities?

One thing being discussed in the linked thread is the idea that the oil being dispersed into the larger body of water might potentially increase temperatures at a lower depth. Which i have been wondering about. But this all points to an increase in hurricanes over that water.

BUT, is there a chance that the mixture somehow changes the composition of the water in such a way that it is deflecting storms?

I suspect its a lot more likely that the lack of major storms thus far is chance than due to the crude and corexit in the water, but it's an interesting idea to keep an eye on.

www.personalhurricanecenter.com...

Gulf Oil Spill and Busy Hurricane Season Cause for Concern May 30, 2010

The general consensus amongst the weather community is that the oil most likely will not reduce the intensity of any passing tropical storm. Though some storms can be as small as 50 to 100 miles wide, generally they range from 150 to 200 miles wide. Furthermore, they just don’t feed off energy located near the center of the system. Rather, they pull energy from the surrounding regions as much as 500 miles away. Each storm is different – unique characteristics that make anticipation of the Gulf oil impact on hurricanes almost impossible to determine.

www.nhc.noaa.gov...

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   
It is possible but the oil has been reported to evaporate which means it could be used as weapon in hopes of destroying america's bread basket if a storm had occured and forced it far enough inland.

posted on Oct, 11 2010 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by justadood
Is it just me

I think it is just you, and the way you see things. You might need to check into that...your view of reality...

Forecasters are unanimous in their assessment of the 2010 hurricane season: It is likely to be a dangerously active storm season, on par with 2005, the worst hurricane season on record. Hurricane Katrina, the costliest and one of the deadliest hurricanes on record, came in 2005, and another hurricane passing through the Gulf of Mexico right now would exacerbate the damage from the BP oil spill.

Read more: www.thedailygreen.com...

posted on Oct, 12 2010 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships

Is it just me

I think it is just you, and the way you see things. You might need to check into that...your view of reality...

Forecasters are unanimous in their assessment of the 2010 hurricane season: It is likely to be a dangerously active storm season, on par with 2005, the worst hurricane season on record. Hurricane Katrina, the costliest and one of the deadliest hurricanes on record, came in 2005, and another hurricane passing through the Gulf of Mexico right now would exacerbate the damage from the BP oil spill.

Sounds like fear propaganda,

I guess we just need to wait and see?

Be ready for everything, Thats my motto!

posted on Oct, 13 2010 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships

Is it just me

you seem lost. Maybe you're in the wrong thread. I started a thread to discuss the possibility that the Gulf spill is keeping hurricanes from passing through the Gulf.

If you will read the thread, you will see i also noted that the oil spill would likely make storms worse, not make them better.

Why you think a quote referencing the predicted volatility of the 2010 storm season refutes this i just dont understand.

can you elaborate?

Also,or what it's worth, it appears that the most recent storm ("paula") appears to also be avoiding the Gulf, for the most part. In fact, it looks like it is turning away from the Gulf at this point.

i still think it is just chance that a major storm hasnt passed directly through the Gulf yet, but it seems a topic worth considering, nonetheless.

posted on Oct, 27 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Earlier this year 2010 after thinking about the DEEPWATER HORIZON spill and the huge amounts of dispersant used, I predicted that not one hurricane would hit the Gulf of Mexico USA coast. My prediction has been proven to be correct. See the records for proof. Mexico has been affected by hurricane storms but not one hurricane has penetrated the core area affected by the DEEPWATER HORIZON disaster. Storms formed out in the Atlantic and were entering the Carribean, but could not enter the Gulf of Mexico and thus went up the Eastern USA up into Nova Scotia to Labrador and then into Greenland and then across the North Atlantic towards Europe.

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 01:53 AM
link   
www.nhc.noaa.gov...
CLEAR evidence of something preventing hurricanes from entering the gulf
www.nhc.noaa.gov...
And turning this right into Haiti...

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by CAELENIUM

You forgot when Bonnie went there and somehow shredded itself or something before getting to the Gulf.
TD 5 somehow formed next to shore and had the same fate almost instantly when it was found.
Paula somehow shrank to the smallest hurricane ever as a catagory 2 in the Gulf to where even it's normal sized eye was bigger than the gale force wind coverage at one time as a cat 2.
21 systems and no US landfalls
WEIRD

edit on 11/1/2010 by Nogard2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I agree that somehow storms are bouncing off the Gulf like they are hitting a force field. In all the years I have lived in Florida I have never seen storms just veer away from a straight track into the Gulf. Hurricane Tomas is a good example of heading into the Gulf, and then bam, east to Cuba.....just amazing. Every time I tracked any storm this year it always went east or west of the Gulf...very odd.

top topics

join