It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Predicting Solar Flares by means of radioactive decay

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   
I stumbled across a pretty remarkable article out of a Fermilab publication that I thought appropriate to share with everyone.

To sum it up here are some excerpts.

...It’s a mystery that presented itself unexpectedly: The radioactive decay of some elements sitting quietly in laboratories on Earth seemed to be influenced by activities inside the sun, 93 million miles away....

...On Dec 13, 2006, the sun itself provided a crucial clue, when a solar flare sent a stream of particles and radiation toward Earth. Purdue nuclear engineer Jere Jenkins, while measuring the decay rate of manganese-54, a short-lived isotope used in medical diagnostics, noticed that the rate dropped slightly during the flare, a decrease that started about a day and a half before the flare.

....If this apparent relationship between flares and decay rates proves true, it could lead to a method of predicting solar flares prior to their occurrence, which could help prevent damage to satellites and electric grids, as well as save the lives of astronauts in space....

Source

Interesting times! Especially Ironically we have the Kola Nuclear plant situation today in Russia. (Link)

Speculation here, but anyone think this Stuxnet virus may be a cover for the upcoming Solar cycle in which there may be some nuclear reactor problems throughout the world? I know Kola is one of the oldest reactors out there and was coming toward the end of it's life anyone on here that can provide any input on this theory?

-Kdial1

Mod Edit: No Quote/Plagiarism – Please Review This Link.

edit on 30/9/2010 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Star and flag, my second tonight, my second in 90 days. I appreciate you posting this as I love quantum mechanics and this is certainly a tail of entanglement.

Thanks again

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by ArcAngel

Thank you I feel privileged

Yes this is one story and breakthrough that I will be keeping on eye on. Sounds like they are hinting towards another unknown force, looking forward to their findings with anticipation!

-Kdial1

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Any time anyone ever wants to debate the dating of various histories of Earth, this thread needs to be dug out.

With solar cycles occuring every 11 years, over millenia, you would expect there to be a VERY wide discrepancy in the dating using radio isotopes. Nothing in Earths history, or the Solar Systems history, is accurate any more. This is the wrench in the works.

I cannot believe how little traffic this thread has gotten. I posted a piece on my blog about this article (crediting the OP for finding it).

Expect it to be buried. Scientists hate having to rewrite everything.

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

It is not getting good traffic because it does not have a snazzy title like: "BREAKING!!!!!!" or "OMG!!!!"

Edit to add: I like your blog, will definitely be keeping up with it.

-Kdial1

edit on 29-9-2010 by kdial1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by kdial1

No one else finds this fascinating?

I would think the scientific community here would have some input here. Everyone just speechless?

-Kdial1

posted on Sep, 29 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by kdial1
reply to post by kdial1

No one else finds this fascinating?

I would think the scientific community here would have some input here. Everyone just speechless?

-Kdial1

Bookmark this thread. The next time you are having to fend off Harte, Byrd, or Hanslune you can pull this baby out.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I would think a decrease in Sun activity made a decrease in radioactivity.
This from Tesla as I had never heard of this finding before or if the
observation was ever made. Obviously Tesla was aware.
ED: Every big science discovery actually done already by Tesla.
How about South Park: the Simpsons did it.
How about it illuminati science: Tesla did it.
Only Illuminati science is so bollixed up they get the science
backwards from Tesla.
Expect a correction.

edit on 9/30/2010 by TeslaandLyne because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by TeslaandLyne
I would think a decrease in Sun activity made a decrease in radioactivity.
This from Tesla as I had never heard of this finding before or if the
observation was ever made. Obviously Tesla was aware.
ED: Every big science discovery actually done already by Tesla.
How about South Park: the Simpsons did it.
How about it illuminati science: Tesla did it.
Only Illuminati science is so bollixed up they get the science
backwards from Tesla.
Expect a correction.

edit on 9/30/2010 by TeslaandLyne because: (no reason given)

I think that if the government didn't stifle science, you would find that Tesla is only 1 of many. Great mind? Certainly....but it isn't like he invented the stuff. What he did was discover it. Often, he misunderstood his discovery to a point that had he gotten his wishes, the world may have been destroyed.

Like his wireless electricity. Do we really want to tamper with the natural electrical field? it is linked to the Sun,and will create solar effects. Is that really a good idea?

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I imagine everyone is aware of the electrical hold on the earth being greater than Gravity.
Then Tesla comes along wanting to energize the earth.
Yeah I can feel their fears.
Another good reason to promote the gravity fantasy and stop a Tesla endeavor.
Tesla was stopped from going world wide with the Towers and had to be confined to powering
submarines with atomic ether power and his aircraft.
So he is still not to be investigated.
Shielding from the Sun and any cosmic radiation would stop all radioactivity according
to Tesla. Perhaps a probe to the outer planets might prove the relationship.

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   
It's actually been brought up before.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

It's not really established that the Sun really is causing the observed effect.

Originally posted by Phage
The Cassini probe carries three Radioisotope Thermoelectric Generators. The decay rate of the plutonium in the generators has shown a decline independent of its distance from the Sun. So that's one part of Jenkins' study which seem to be flawed.
arxiv4.library.cornell.edu...

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   

The observed differences change up and down on a cyclical basis. The are also very, very slight.
They would not affect radiometric or carbon dating techniques significantly.

edit on 9/30/2010 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

The observed differences change up and down on a cyclical basis. The are also very, very slight.
They would not affect radiometric or carbon dating techniques significantly.

edit on 9/30/2010 by Phage because: (no reason given)

Unless you were measuring the changes over the course of tens of thousands, or hundreds of thousands of years.

And you have to presume that the variances would occur in a somewhat stable rate, despite the near complete lack of data supporting this assumption.

posted on Oct, 4 2010 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Perhaps the Sun effect is so strong there may be no way to out distance it.
However by its own variation, not night and day but perhaps it might be found,
but mostly from the explosions of atomic gas and electrical charges the waves
shake the large atomic nuclei into their decomposition rate.
So its vibrations and shake rattle and a roll sort of ether theory that has
to be considered and denied since first being first suggested.

top topics

join